Read a Book! Great reads about music and guitar

Heyya all!
On one of Justin’s musings he talks about Victor Wooten’s book “The Music Lesson”. If you haven’t read it, you might want to. “The Spirit of Music” is Victor’s follow on. Also worth a look.
Two of my “Justin friends” recommended “How to Write One Song” by Jeff Tweedy (of Uncle Tupelo and Wilco fame). I think everyone should OWN this one. In fact, I think you should have a stack of them to give as gifts! Not just to other guitarists, but to anyone you like or love. I’m reading Jeff’s latest book “World Within a Song”, another wonderful read. His memoir “Let’s Go” was great as well.
Hope there are no days that your guitar goes untouched, that a few notes don’t pass from your mouth, or that you aren’t tapping your foot.
Cheers

8 Likes

I listened to “The Music Lesson” on Audible. Victor (with some help from others) reads it - or I should say, performs it. Highly recommended if listening fits into your life!

1 Like

Yes, I have the book and have been listening to the audiobook on Spotify too.

It’s very entertaining.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks so much for the recommendations Kevin :smiley:
I haven’t read any of those by Jeff Tweedy but sounds like that needs to change

Thank you! Wishing the same for you :sunflower:

Hey Kevin!!

Loved the Victor Wooten book and posted on it here in the forum in September '23.

Will definitely check out the Tweedy book as I love the music he has made with both those groups!!

Thanks for the recommendations!!!

J

1 Like

I sometimes read books about musicians.
My latest was Phil Palmer’s Session Men which was great and now I am reading Eric Clapton’s autobiography. I just reached The Fool’s guitar part and things are getting more interesting :slight_smile:

IMO, the autobios by Miles and Keith Richards are a must-read for anyone with even a slightly deeper interest in music. The one by Jorma Kaukonen is also a great read. A few others off the top of my head that I recommend:

Mark Lewisohn: The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions
Ian MacDonald: Revolution in the Head: The Beatles’ Records and the Sixties
Geoff Emerick: Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles (take this with a grain of salt)
Glyn Johns: Sound Man: A Life Recording Hits with The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles , Eric Clapton, the Faces…
Art Taylor: Notes and Tones: Musician-to-Musician Interviews

I’ve a few lined up actually but not started yet, I tend to mainly read whilst on holiday so I’m waiting until August at the moment!!
But on recommendations I’ve got The Music Lesson and The Spirit of Music by Victor Wooten and Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sido to take with me.