Really! White Christmas – Michaels AVOYP Dec 23

Well it is that time of year so I thought I best do a Christmas song and it is the very last song I ever thought I would do, not even in my worst nightmare, but here it is, feel free to cringe. https://youtu.be/H2k05nweOCI?si=0vfZUoNecGyyY3ul

However, we have just done this as one of the songs at the Guitar Club Christmas Concert. You know what, I think I have reached the point where I am prepared to give any song a go, if I can play it on an acoustic and be able to sing along. It is a bit faster than the Bing Crosby version, but that was deliberate as I did not want to fall asleep during the recording.

Must confess it was a bit of test in that I started a few months ago to play some appropriate songs just strumming with my thumb, this was before Justin’s Grade 3 Strumming Course came out, so will have to see how my technique looks when I start to go through the course.

Also, I recorded this in one session in OBS with a 2i2 but only a condenser mic, guitar not plugged in. Probably needed a bit more work on balance between guitar and singing volume but will not get a chance to do this before Christmas and wanted the song out before then.

Feel free to offer comments good or bad.

Michael

11 Likes

Hi Michael
I had my speakers at 100% but couldn’t hear you. Well, a tiny bit but only just :frowning:

1 Like

Jasmine @Avalon426
Slightly strange this, I clicked the link on my iPad and it played ok but the sound is on the low side I think because I was strumming with my thumb.
Michael

1 Like

Hi Matt, I liked both the tone of the guitar you got with thumb strumming and the Rhythm, even if all “wristy” it sounded good, you might try to add a bit of an accent on 1 by using the forearm as well. What was that you had on your headphones? I always struggle to sing when I have my headphones on because I can’t hear my voice well enough, which is key. My only suggestion is to sing without the headphones… Overall you’re doing really great! Merry Holidays to you and your family.

1 Like

I also had the sound to maximum but struggled to hear the guitar so its difficult to comment too much. Looked and what I could hear that you were just just down strums maybe you could put a few ups in.

1 Like

Matt I heard you just fine I don’t know why they can’t hear you the volume is correct. Good job keep getting it .

1 Like

Trevor @skinnyt
There were up strums after every down strum but I must admit a bit too quite.
Michael

Silvia @SILVIA
On this occasion I wanted to hear what was being recorded in OBS so that is why I had headphones on as they were taking the output from the 2i2.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you lot as well.
Michael

1 Like

Jeff @Jwaters
At least somebody heard it!
Thanks for the feedback.
Michael

it is strange, I haven’t had any volume issues with anything else. I gave it another try, but still the same. :woman_shrugging: but
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :smiley: :snowflake: :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Michael I’m afraid my tech knowledge doesn’t go this far :see_no_evil: I gave it a re listen, as other people are having problems with the volume…I can hear well, both guitar and voice…and the upstrums as well.

1 Like

Silva @SILVIA
Very strange that some people have problems hearing it and others don’t. Like you I don’t have the knowledge to know what is going on.
Michael

1 Like

A nice bit of playing and singing Michael. It is also good to read that you are willing to have a crack at any song.

Volume wise, all sounded good at my end.

1 Like

Thanks Stefan @SgtColon
Just my opinion but if you aspire to improve your guitar skills then you do need willing to have a go at anything you can play and sing. I think being exposed to a wide range at the guitar club has broken down the barriers.
Michael

1 Like