Recommendations for headphones please (resolved)

Another vote for Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. I have these as well and cannot fault them.
I share your pain regarding the curly cable - in what universe are they a good idea!?

1 Like

Oh yes Stephen. I see no sense or use in curly cord at all. Thanks for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X vote. How long have you had yours, how are they wearing?

I bought my Sennheisers September 2018.

I have only had them about 8 months. They never leave the house and I donā€™t use them every day so they are still mint. I actually donā€™t like wearing headphones but I find I get more clarity when recording than if I use monitors. Also I am just getting into recording acoustic guitar using a mic, so I really need headphones for that. These had great reviews when I did my research and the clarity is excellent to my ears.

1 Like

@LesPaul65 good hp make a huge difference, especially when you record and edit. They also enhance the listening experience when taking in the music of others.

I took me quite a long time to get used to wearing hp, Iā€™d have to take them off the moment I finished recording. That is probably part of the wear and tear. These days I tolerate them a whole lot better. When I record vocals I feel as though Iā€™m in a universe all of my own, itā€™s become my happy place.

1 Like

I use AKG K240 Studio headphones if I want semi-open, and AKG K275 headphones if I want closed.

One nice thing about both of those is that you can easily swap out the cord. Is that an option on your Sennheisers? If so, you might be able to get a straight cord and new ear cups and solve all your issues without buying an entirely new set of headphones.

1 Like

For anybody curious, generally speaking closed-back headphones are used for recording purposes, for example singing over backing. The closed-back ensures that the sound of the backing doesnā€™t get picked up by the vocal mic and bleed onto the vocal track.

Open-back are not fully closed so sound will be heard from the headphones and you can hear a little more of the environment you are in, less isolated. They are typically used for mixing.

4 Likes

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X BT, thatā€™s the Bluetooth version (the first one, they just released a new one). I donā€™t use the Bluetooth when I play but only when listening to music on my pc or phone.

However, if you go for the ATH-M50X (non-bluetooth) version, Iā€™d say you need to be aware that they have a proprietary jack on the HP end.

So if for any reason you need a new cord to replace the factory one, I guess you only rely on audiotechnica for that. Maybe Iā€™m wrong and there are knock off cords, I donā€™t know.
But itā€™s best to know that upstream of any decision.

1 Like

I use an old set of AKG K240 Monitor headphones. They sound great plugged into the amp or into the Scarlett 2i2 and they have a straight cord. Recently I noticed that the foam on the inner pads was disintegrating. I contacted AKG/Harman for replacement parts. The pads were $0.81 each. I told them Iā€™d take 2 pair since the shipping would cost significantly more than the pads. They sent them to me at no cost.

1 Like

@J.W.C these are getting good vibes from others, so Iā€™ll add them to my list to research. The Sennheisers donā€™t allow for the cord to be swapped, I looked into that just after I bought them. Replacing the ear cups will extend the life of them while I make decisions about what I buy in the future. I can get replacement ear cups and headband for AUD40.

@DavidP one pair of hp is enough for me right now, itā€™s a full time job keeping DS in line :crazy_face:

@Lefteris Iā€™m going to stick with hp and cable for now. Thanks for the alert on the non bluetooth version. I donā€™t want things to get any more complicated.

@nhh2oskr another vote for the AKGā€™s thanks David and thanks for the replacement ear cup info. What a win youā€™ve had with that. $0.81 what a bargain, the Sā€™s will cost AUD40. Knowing how quickly they deteriorate, although it would be an inexpensive fix, it will be short term. Iā€™ll factor that in.

Some time later.
Iā€™ve just spent some time on YT. The S cable can be changed, but it looks too complicated for me to tackle and I donā€™t have the right screwdrivers. Velour ear cups are available and they last more than 6 months.

I bought a pair of velour ear cup replacements for AUD23 today. They should be here next week. Iā€™m still interested in the suggestions that have been made and will continue to look into them. My luxurious velour will tide me over till then.

Thankyou very much, every one of you for your advise and help. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x for some years, bought for the children to practice on the Roland piano quietly, although we could still hear sound of the key presses. They were sold to me in the Roland shop in Denmark street, so I must have paid top price! :man_facepalming: Although good I wish they were more comfortable. Mine are overdue a refurb so Iā€™ll look out for some replacement ear pads.
Although the extra cables are useful I find theyā€™re either too short or too long. Sodā€™s law!
Because of the problem of the cables for interface, microphone, headphones, instrument and computer getting tangled up too easily Iā€™ve started to wonder if many people use bluetooth connectivity for anything.

Personally, no. I avoid bluetooth for anything related to music recording and production. I do use bluetooth for casual listening, though. I guess one could use bluetooth monitoring headphones if youā€™re just mixing, but I wouldnā€™t use them for recording. (The main thing I want to avoid is wireless connectivity and latency issues.)

2 Likes

Yes, the latency on Bluetooth makes them largely impractical for use whilst performing: thereā€™s a noticeable gap between plucking a note and hearing it.

Even bell ringers donā€™t use them with simulator systems, and thereā€™s a gap of around 2 seconds between each ring of the bell. But, even then, the latency on Bluetooth is enough to be a problem.

There is a new standard for Bluetooth audio which reduces the latency considerably, but not many systems support this yet, and itā€™s still noticeable, although it may be low enough to be manageable for some.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

My lush velour ear cups arrived today. Evil DS tried to stop me fitting them, but I won. I think I got my moneyā€™s worth out of the originals :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Very posh and comfy by the looks.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Those look to be super luxurious, Maggie. Sure youā€™ll have many more hours of comfortable wear.

1 Like