Recording a video with my electric with a backing track

Please could someone help me? I know it is no doubt on here somewhere but Iā€™m too lazy to try and find it. :flushed:

I am wanting to record a video with my electric plugged into my Katana 50 whilst playing along to a backing track. No singing with this one. How do I need to set it all up please?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OBS Studio is the go to solution for this.

It takes a little setting up.

You need to create a scene with your camera as a video source and your katana as an audio source. You can then add desktop audio as another audio source and use an audio player to play the MP3.

OBS gives you a mixer so you can adjust the levels.

Then set it to record to disk.

Thatā€™s a brief outline.

There other approaches.

In the past I have recorded audio to a DAW and video to a file on a memory card, then imported the video and audio into a video editor to combine. This is a lot more work though.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Thank you Keith, Iā€™ll have a play with OBS.

Hi Stefan,

Yeah, as Keith mentions OBS is probably the way to go, thatā€™s what I use as well. Lots of how-to videos out there as well, which will help cover off all the steps for you Iā€™m sure.

As another possible solution to try, given that you donā€™t need vocals, you could use Zoom if youā€™re already familiar with using that? It wonā€™t be as good as OBS in many respects but if youā€™re just wanting recording to capture your progress, then it could well be sufficient. Hereā€™s what to do:

Ensure you have the latest version of Zoom installed and are signed into an account (free account is fine).

In the audio settings, select your Katana as the microphone, untick auto adjust mic volume and move slider to 100% then also enable the Original Sound option further down plus tick on High Fidelity Music Mode.

Check the video settings has your webcam selected correctly and tick on HD.

Start a New Meeting by clicking the icon on the Zoom appā€™s home tab.

Once in the meeting, turn ON original sound using the button in the top left (VERY IMPORTANT STEP!)

Make sure your mic is enabled at you can see a green level indication going up and down when you play your guitar.

Hit the Share Screen button then in the pop-up menu, select Advanced and then double click the Computer Audio tile (to select that option).

Hit the record button.

Press play on your backing track, whether that is in YouTube or an audio player on your computer. As long as that audio is being played by your computer and heard out your speakers/headphones at a reasonable level, it should be captured fine in the recording.

Play along with your track then end the Zoom meeting once done. The recording will then process and, when itā€™s ready, you can review the track to see how well it captured you.

Couple of points to noteā€¦
If your computer is a bit older or not very powerful, your guitar might be too far out of sync with the backing track for this approach to work and you will need to use a different method, like OBS, which will allow you to put a delay on the computerā€™s audio to match them up.
Assuming the above is okay, then you might have to play around with the level of your backing track to have it match nicely with your guitarā€™s level. So doing a few test recordings first would be wise before playing a full track (just in case you nail it but then realise the levels were all wrong! :laughing: )

1 Like

Bear in mind Zoom audio quality is not that high. The ā€œOriginal Sound for musiciansā€ doesnā€™t really improve the stream quality level. It mainly turns of echo cancellation and some audio filters. The resulting stream is still quite compressed compared with what the audio interface produces.

High fidelity mode is better, but still lower quality than a direct recording.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Hmmā€¦ there are a few different ways to do this. I tried using OBS only and the backing track was not in sync with my playing when I listened back. Also like Keith says Zoom audio quality is not great. Also both donā€™t allow you to adjust relative volumes post recording - e.g. if guitar is too quiet compared to backing track, you canā€™t tweak that, you have to record again.

I record my audio in my DAW (Ableton) and record video with either webcam recorded (e.g. Logitech Capture, or even OBS - but not for backing track) or iPhone. Then I match them up in a video editor afterwards and cut the ends off.

My rough process:

• Set up DAW to record guitar, and have backing track mp3 as separate track in DAW
  • Hit record on video (webcam software or iPhone), then hit record in the DAW, then play. Make sure you capture audio on the video recording device to sync it later, but you wonā€™t use it.
  • Export WAV from DAW (after any audio adjustments) and video file from wherever youā€™re recording that.
  • Add them both to a video editor and sync them up, DaVinci Resolve and a few others can sync audio automatically for you. Chop the ends offā€¦
  • Export and upload to YouTube

A few more steps but I found it WAAY easier than dealing with re-recording stuff because of timing issues between the audio sources or volume level issues.

3 Likes

I must admit, on the few cases I have used OBS I have had minor sync issues. What I did is to pull the recording into a video editor, and drag the video timeline across a small amount to correct the issue.

This is similar to recording the audio and video separately and then combining them, except they are already combined, and just need a tweak.

It should be possible to get OBS to sync the two. There are latency adjustments available for audio. I did experiment with this a while back with some success, but Iā€™ve not done any recording with OBS for a while, so I canā€™t recall how successful this was.

Cheers,

Keith

4 Likes

I had audio sync issues between the backing track and guitar which was more of a pain, no easy fix other than working out the delay. Jeff (@nzmetal) figured out the right delay for his setup though and uses it successfully from what I understand though.

3 Likes

Hee JK. Does Ableton not have any video funtionality?
My process is similar to yours on the actual recording side. I then just import the video ( from OBS ) straight into Reaper as another track, alongside the guitar and BT, sync it up visually via the waveforms, adjust any levels, render to mp4, upload.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Correct JK, I added delay to the backing track (aka desktop capture) input in OBS to rectify the sync issue (which was huge on my old laptop). I just figured that timing out from trial and error really. My new desktop PC is fast enough that any sync issues are imperceptible (at least to me) so havenā€™t had to do that.

In saying that, the OBS option is great (once the above is resolved) if you just want to record yourself for self assessment, not creating a polished final edit. Your approach using a DAW and a separate video capture is a much better, safer, flexible pathway for that for sure! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

The Zoom way is good for practicing if youā€™re planning on doing online open mics, although for that to be done properly it would really be best to use a AI to capture both guitar/amp input and a vocal mic as well as possibly the backing track playing from an external device (to avoid any sync issues) which is how I currently do itā€¦

I feel like this should all be simpler eh?! :roll_eyes: :sweat_smile: Definitely escalates quickly when you add backing tracks into the mix! :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you guys for the input, it sure doesnā€™t sound like itā€™s an easy process.

I think Iā€™ll stick with OBS and see if I can get it working in there.

Iā€™m looking at consolidating grade 2 and just want to do a rock out track to share on here. Life shouldnā€™t be so hard. :joy:

1 Like

Hey Stefan, are you using an audio interface or connecting to your computer using USB?

Mark, when you say, audio interface, do you mean like my 2i2?

Ideally Iā€™d like to use the patch I have on my Katana to get the guitar tone that I ned for the track Iā€™m playing.

So both my 2i2 and Katana will be going in to my laptopā€™s USB.

Can you tell Iā€™ve not done this before? :smiley:

Weā€™ve all been there mate!! Yes I did mean the 2i2 when talking about interface. I wanted similar using my Yamaha THR and whilst itā€™s not ideal, my workaround was to run a lead from the headphone output into one of the inputs on the scarlett. My headhone out on the THR is 2.5mm so Iā€™ve been using a 2.5mm extension lead with a 3.5mm converter plug to go into the 2i2. Pic below. Not the most elegant solution but it works!

1 Like

Meant to ask, sorry, is the backing track also going through the Katana? Thatā€™s what my setup is geared to do so everything is running through that phones cable into the 2i2 and then into the PC.

1 Like

Can the backing track go through the Kanata? How would I do that? The backing track is on my laptop at the moment.

Thanks for the picture as well, Mark. I have an adapter for the cable to go from my amp to the 2i2.

I can only speak to my setup with the THR but that can take a bluetooth input for audio tracks, so for that I play the backing track via bluetooth from my tablet or phone to the amp and play over the top.

1 Like

Or an aux in jack if not bluetooth?

1 Like

Thanks Mark. No bluetooth capability on the Kanata but there is a AUX in, so I guess Iā€™ll be able to put the backing track on my phone and play it through there.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Note that playing a backing track through any of these amps via Bluetooth or aux in will not normally output the backing track to the computer for recording (ether via USB or line out).

If you want the backing track to be part of the recording, you need to be playing it on the PC and recording it via that route. That may mean that you need to be playing the backing track via your PC speakers.

Cheers,

Keith