Recording myself

Hi folks, I’m new to the community and so appreciative of welcome messages and suggestions. I’m looking for a few tips on making my first recording - I have no equipment other than laptop, tablet, amps, a looper pedal and guitars.
what would you suggest I do to get started?
Thanks in advance
Paul - Penrith Cumbria UK

1 Like

From what you’ve got, a simple recording with phone or tablet would do. No need for advanced stuff to get started.

2 Likes

Hi Paul,

I’ve done one video just using my old iPhone propped up on my desk. Nothing special but captured the sound and picture good enough.
Just go for it. It’s a buzz to put yourself out there.

2 Likes

Hi Paul, you have plenty of equipment to do the job, so go for it :smiling_face:

2 Likes

@PWilson
Paul, as already suggested to get the ball rolling you need no more than a smart phone, the more recent the vintage the better.

There are many who go no further and deliver recordings that are better than just OK. The principle challenge you may face is balancing vocals and music if you play and sing.

If playing electric and singing then you may want to take the next step and acquire a mic. There are a few options here and won’t elaborate here. If interested we can go there.

The other question I have that may shape further discussion is the platform you have. There are different options if you have Apple laptop and tablet vs if you run Windows or Linux on the laptop and Android on tablet and/or phone. Similarly, you may have other options to consider based on the amp you have. Again not going to elaborate at this point, until you’ve responded to replies made and, more details provided if you’d like to keep talking.

1 Like

Hi Paul
I’ve only ever used my iPhone. The results from a modern phone are perfectly acceptable as the cameras are really good. The sound is not as good as with a ‘proper’ microphone but again it’s totally acceptable. You have to experiment a bit with the position of the phone to get the balance of sound between guitar and voice and to get the video framing right.
I prop mine up on a music stand about 3 feet away and at the height of the guitar sound hole (sitting down). If playing electric through an amp then it’s the amp volume you have to play around with to get the sound balance right.

If you start looking at microphones and computer interphases etc you will disappear down a rabbit hole from which you may never emerge. :wink:

1 Like

Gordon is quite correct, I went down the rabbit hole within a few months of taking the first lesson and have never emerged. I have loved exploring that aspect of music, some of my most pleasing achievements have the few original songs that otherwise would not have produced, but it is not a necessity. All about personal choice and charting your own course.

2 Likes

Thank you - of course - I was getting a bit phased watching others recordings and see microphones!!

Cheers
Paul

1 Like

:sweat_smile:
Thank you - exactly what I was worried about… been down a rabbit hole for far too long. Thank you - of course - I was getting a bit phased watching others recordings and see microphones!!

Many thanks

Paul

Thank you

I’ve just tried using my phone - it works great. I was getting a bit phased watching others recordings and see microphones!!

Thanks again

Paul

1 Like

Thank you I will - what a great community

Cheers

Paul

1 Like

Thank you - exactly the advice needed. Tried it and a good result - a bit of practice now and I’ll post an effort.

Thanks again.

Paul

1 Like