Regarding chord transposing

Did not know where to put this question, so, social it is.

This maybe a stupid question, but I never actually thought about till now. Does, for example, chord transposition by +2 mean that you put capo on a second fret? Or does it mean that you now play these chords instead of other chords without the capo on?

E.g., Bon Jovi “Joey” on ultimate-guitar. Untransposed (original) song has different chords, mainly barre and power) than tranposed +2 (a lot of basic open chords).

As I can see, this feature can be used to transpose the song into a different key by sharpening or flattening by a given number of semitones. Whether you need a capo in those cases is a different matter, I think.

1 Like

Ah, so it doesn’t really matter whether I use a capo? Hmm, OK.

Yes it does matter. If you move a barre chord up 2 frets and play the same barre chord relative to the capo you will have move the chord up 3 semi tones. For example if the song is in F like you example and you put the capo on the 2nd fret and play an F chord relative to the capo you’ll be playing a G#.
If you transpose an F chord up 2 semi tone you will get a G chord you can play the G chord as an open G with out a capo. If you want to play the G chord relative to the capo you will need to play and open E chord.

2 Likes

So, in this case, when I transpose it +2, it just in different key. I play these chords that I now see in front of me without having to put a capo on? Okey, thanks.

yes, you just have to raise all the chords by 2 semitones (or just use a capo on 2)
The circle of fifths is a handy tool to do this with.
You will often have a number of choices how to play those chords.
Technique, tone and position on the fretboard will usually determine what you choose.

2 Likes

Yes you play the chords posted. I just went and looked at Joey on UG the opening chords are F Dsus2 C Eb Bb and F. If you transpose these up 2 semi tones they become G Esus2 D F C G.
If you put a Capo on the second fret and play the transposed chords you will be playing A F#sus2 E G D A.

So when you transpose a song on UG you play the chords as written. If you have a song that you want in a different Key but like the chords it written in put a capo on and play the written chords relative to the capo.
For example you have a song using G C D but want to play it in A but use the G C D chord shapes put a capo on the second fret and play the G C D shapes. The actual chords you will be playing are A D E. Or you could just play A D E without the Capo.

3 Likes

Indeed, as the others explained, with a capo you will be able to play the same chords with a different grip. It’s your choice which option you prefer.

1 Like