Release Music on Spotify

Hi folks!

Today I was thinking about releasing some recordings of mine to Spotify. Just to have a goal to work towards to and because it would be kind of a cool and creative thing to do! :crazy_face:
Of course, my intention is not to get rich (because nobody will listen to it :laughing:) it is only for personal pleasure.

In general I play Jazz fingerstile Arrangements. I understand that these jazz pieces are have been copied, arranged and interpreted millions of times by thousands of people, so I imagine, that this would not be a licensing problem?

My question is regarding the arrangements; of course I did not arrange that stuff, I only found the tabs online and ā€œinterpreted themā€. If I would publish that - would that infringe copyright?

2 Likes

Even standards are protected by copyright laws, so when you see a cover of My Favorite Things or something like that, especially on bigger labels, you can be sure that clearance was obtained. You should be extra vigilant if thereā€™s any chance of your interpretation generating any revenue. Iā€™d suggest you to consult someone more knowledgeable about copyright laws also because they may vary from country to country.

Guess that there is no way around that :nerd_face: