Rene - Feb 2023 - A Horse With No Name & Lonely People (America) + Ohio (Neil Young)

Woa - incredible signing and guitar playing! This is professional level playing - fantastic!!!

Hi Brian,
Thank you for your wonderful response.
Such wonderful words and huge compliments!!!
I use 2 microphones, on purpose hidden, one Shure SM58 directed to guitar, and one Ear Trumpet Labs “Edwina”, above my head, directed towards my vocals.
Both microphones, can also pick up both guitar and vocals.
I also use Yamaha mixer Room reverb.
Thanks for asking.
Rene

Hi @Svalbaard ,
This is a personal fav, classic song, grew up with this truly special song.
I am also a huge America fan!!!
Thank you for your wonderful comments!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

1 Like

That was great. Looks like you’re having a blast playing and singing and I had I had a blast listening :grinning:

@ReneAsologuitar,
This is really fantastic. So much to praise: the guitar work is consistent, great solo that blends perfectly, nice balance between vocals and guitar, and the vocals are nice and consistent, Just a pleasure to listen to.
If I had one complaint, it’s that there needs be more guitars in the room with you :rofl:

“Lonely People” is a song written by the husband-and-wife team of Dan Peek and Catherine Peek and recorded by America in 1974.

“Lonely People” was written within a few weeks of Dan Peek’s 1973 marriage to Catherine Maberry: Peek- “I always felt like a melancholy, lonely person. And now [upon getting married] I felt like I’d won.”

The lyrics of “Lonely People” advise “all the lonely people”: “Don’t give up until you drink from the silver cup”, a metaphor which Dan Peek thus explains: "It’s possible to drink from another’s well of experience…and be refreshed.

Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

12 Likes

@Richard_close2u could you move this video to AVOYP

1 Like

Another most enjoyable performance, Rene. It’s beyond me to offer any more feedback than that.

1 Like

Hi David,
You are so awesome, and so much appreciated!
Thank you.
I am so grateful for your comment.
Respectfully,
Rene

1 Like

Rene everything you do is simply utterly enjoyable and inspiring. This is one more. I learn from just watching and listening.

1 Like

How long have you been playing for you perform just wonderfully and only hope I can become this good before I leave this earth.

1 Like

That’s another great America tune, and I absolutely love your cover. I hadn’t heard the back story on the song before, but it definitely fits, and it’s quite nice to have that little bit of info as an intro to the song. I’d be shushing my friends if we were out listening to you for an afternoon or an evening in a coffeehouse. Well I wouldn’t have to actually, we’d all be listening and enjoying :slight_smile:

All I can say is I loved that! Thank you for giving it to us Rene :+1::clap:

1 Like

“Ohio” is a protest song and counterculture anthem written and composed by Neil Young in reaction to the Kent State shootings of May 4, 1970, and performed by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. It was released as a single, backed with Stephen Stills’s "Find the Cost of Freedom”. Young wrote the lyrics to “Ohio” after seeing the photos of the incident in Life Magazine.

To all our social justice fighters.
May you have the strength, the stamina, and the charity to understand and love others, even in the midst of chaos and evil!!!
Love, peace, and joy to all peoples!!!

Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

11 Likes

Another stunner Rene, I really love your energy not to mention your playing and singing. You can’t go wrong with some Neil Young.

Amen to that :ok_hand: :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Notter ,
I am so grateful for your wonderful comments!!!
I simply love NY songs, and I grew up with his classics!
Thank you so much, my friend!
With love and respect,
Rene

2 Likes

Another classy performance, Rene, lots of feeling, loots to learn from watching and listening to both your playing and singing.

On that note, how do you set up to record? In this performance I noticed your head moving around quite a lot and didn’t pick up that it caused any undesirable fluctuation in the vocal levels.

Is the guitar also via mic? I notice your guitar-vocal balance is always spot on (IMHO, my taste for such).

That is now 3 AVOYPs in Feb. According to the current guidelines, we need to consolidate those into a single Topic. I don’t have time right now to do that (@Richard_close2u I will get to it or you can if you have time … at least I noticed)

2 Likes

That was fabulous Rene, both the guitar and your vocals. And gotta mention the backdrop. You either own a music store or thats the kids inheritance :guitar::long_drum::banjo:

1 Like

There’s a purity in all aspects of your performance, Rene-
The strumming with picked bass notes, the clarity in your voice, the emotion in the repetitive “4 dead in Ohio”.
Superb :sunglasses:
i only came across this song recently in a documentary I watched after the death of Crosby.
(It’s the second community song in a week referring to tin soldiers :wink:)
Your space always reminds me of the two opening lines in this clip :smiley:
Rock on, Dude!

1 Like

Sung and played with passion and feeling Rene. Terrific.
You either own, work in or have access to a music store. No one can own so many guitars. Can they? :smiley:

2 Likes