Replacing hardware on a Yamaha Pacifica

Sounds like loads of fun Gyrt :rofl: but I am sure it will turn out fine in the end ! One day at a time, one coat at a time.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Keep at it bud, at least youā€™re learning :slightly_smiling_face:

If you let the paint dry youā€™ll be able to wet and dry out the dust and rough bits.

1 Like

Yeah. Itā€™s going to be sanded down to the wood.
But thatā€™ll give me a great starting position again.
On to better an bolder. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Gyrt I see you have a nice little project coming along nicely here, read it with a lot of interest! How did you decide on the pickups and what way you did it? Listening on youtube, reading reviews? Quite interested to see which web you used too as I am now on the road of buying some pickups for my strat and I am confused where to even start!

Hello adi,

my research is mostly based on what other members here have contributed, what i can find on yt, read from reviews, and the information thatā€™s available on the sites of the manufacturers.
And still i havenā€™t made an ultimate decision on which pickups/humbucker iā€™ll get. Thereā€™s just so much to choose from.
One caveat though, iā€™ll have to make sure i order from some europe based retailshop, or i get taxed. (Except for the guys over at Iron Gear, they handle it before shipping).
Iā€™m not sure what you mean by what web iā€™m using though. Just a browser and a search engine. Thatā€™s it.
Seeing that you have a strat, a good starting place, i think, would be Fender itself.
Maybe this can help:

Adi

Assume you mean website ? You wonā€™t go wrong here

Good sound, good quality, UK based and very reasonably priced.

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s what I meant, I went through earlier posts and I saw yours as well which is my favourite so far - not gonna lie splashing more than Ā£200 for pickups to my less than Ā£200 guitar seems a bit like an overkill to me so Irongear pricing is really affordable and sound samples do look great! Thanks Toby appreciate the link :wink:

Hammer Heads and a Smokestack went into the old Affinity. :metal:

Need to go for a proper listening session with my headphones on and will make the best call then :grin:

1 Like

Small update.
Just gotten round to sanding the neck and the body (again).
But this time around, i started with a coarse one (150 and ended up with a 600).
Applied primer (again).
But this time, and oh what a difference there is in products, i really got a good feeling about the primer. This time around, i went an bought a different brand and it shows.
Where the first can seemed to contain colored water, this one had some pretty good stuff in it. The way it immediately stuck was very different to the previous one.
So now the parts are drying in the garage. Better temperature there than in the garden shed.
Since i have only the weekends to work on this project, things are going slow.
Tomorrow iā€™ll be painting the neck and body again.
For this iā€™ve also bought cans of a different brand. Iā€™ll see how thatā€™ll work out.
Things iā€™ve learned today:
Sanding = itā€™s good to start with something coarse and finally end up with a finer paper.
When youā€™re done with the sanding, be sure to clean the part youā€™ve sanded, wiping any dust. Also, donā€™t forget to blow out the cavities. Because if you donā€™t, your spraycan will. (forcing you to start all over again, because those paint particles will find their way into your fresh applied paint.
Painting:
Donā€™t rush into things. Keep a good distance from the object your spraying.
Applying fine layers save time.
Start with the sides and be careful not to spray too much at once. (again, fine layers).
As soon as the paintā€™s applied, move the painted object to a somewhat warm room. (at least 15Ā°C. Below that, itā€™ll take days to dry, if ever).
Donā€™t touch the object with your hands for at least 2 - 3 days. That way the paintā€™s hard enough to handle. (if youā€™re lucky and you know someone who has a spray booth, things can go much faster)

Canā€™t wait to apply the colour (again) tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thanks for the updates. Such a project is beyond me, both my technical ability as well as my interest that shapes how I spend the most precisou resource viz time. But I do find it fascinating to follow along.

Sounds like itā€™s coming together, yep take your time, donā€™t rush it :slightly_smiling_face:

Small update: way overdue.
Who knew that using masking tape would be so difficult? Even the slightest crevice and the paint will find itā€™s way in. Unbelievable.
Last weekend i spent a good 2-3 hours, just masking of the parts of the body and the neck i didnā€™t want to paint, making really sure that this time, there were no places where the paint could seep in.
And i thought i nailed it. I went really carefull about it. Checked twice.
So i used a spraycan (black) and applied the colour. A day or 2 later (iā€™ve learned that you donā€™t remove the tape after 10 minutes or so, no matter what the can says). i removed the masking tape, only to learn that there are still!!! places (yet small ones, so it might be curable without starting all over AGAIN), where the paint has creeped in where it shouldnā€™t.
Iā€™ll post some pictures later on this week. Itā€™s been too long.

So the overall idea now, is to go with the flow. Wysiwyg.
If i canā€™t cure the imperfections then iā€™m going to apply the clear coat. Donā€™t know how thatā€™ll turn out with these temperatures nowadays, but iā€™ll see. Maybe iā€™ll set up a heater in the shed, just to make it a bit more pleasant to work there.

If the clear coating turns out ok, because i have no idea how thatā€™ll behave coming out of a can, then itā€™s hardware next. Ordering stuff, removing the hardware thatā€™s in place now, soldering in the new hardware and hopefully, donā€™t cause any electrical problems in the house. (maybe do that in the shed as wellā€¦ It has itā€™s own circuit breakersā€¦ :thinking:).

Anyway, pictures first. Keep an eye out, theyā€™re coming this week. Donā€™t expect too much, as this is still a learning processā€¦

3 Likes

Right, so here are some pictures of how it is right now.

1 Like

And two moreā€¦

Itā€™s not perfect, iā€™d say itā€™s a good third try, but like i said, iā€™m going to apply clear coating and see how that will behave.

3 Likes

Itā€™s looking really good GrytPipe. Love the colours.

I agree with you on the sandpaper and the masking tape. Lessons Iā€™ve learned doing a lot of DIY.

Try your clearcoat spray on something else before you take to it on your guitar. That should give you some idea of how it sprays and how it covers.

1 Like

Aha! Thatā€™s a good piece of advice indeed, thank you.
Would you spray it on another piece of wood, or rather some other material?

If you still have some primer and main coat, Iā€™d spray those on a piece of wood and then try your clearcoat to see how it works/looks.

Nice work :sunglasses:,ā€¦just a little longer :sweat_smile:ā€¦it keeps you off the street, itā€™s been safer there for a while nowā€¦ :smile:
Keep the fun for the last bitā€¦ :smiley:
Greetings,

1 Like

Yep. Got some left indeed. Iā€™ll see whatā€™s what this weekend.