Replacing strings but one string in the set was the wrong size

I haven’t touched my electrics in so long, I forgot about how the strings threaded through.

I too would cut on those guitars, rather than pull the twisted end all the way through.

But, since only acoustics really matter :wink:….

I’ve got to comment on donating your old strings – this just seems like virtue signaling. If someone or some organization that you know needs strings, send them money for new strings or better yet send them some new strings. Old strings go in the trash unless you own a foundry and can melt them down into something useful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think its about donating them to someone that needs strings. I think its more to do with reducing the amount of string metal that’s put into landfill. Manufacturer’s like D’addario now operate schemes where they take back used metal and nylon strings from users to recycle and give out points that can be redeemed. From what I understand it’s mainly in the US they operate such schemes.

4 Likes

Local guitar shops often collect old strings for recycling.

I agree with CT. It would be pretty inexpensive to donate some reasonably standard new strings.

Recycle the old ones if you can.

2 Likes

Got it. If you are so inclined to save up your old strings for recycling, it makes sense to do so.

You can’t pull them until you’ve pushed them far enough to be able to get ahold of the ball.

Lol, ok mate. Not really into silly games, so you can win.

1 Like

I loosen my strings first and chop them in the middle after as I love the snapping sound - sue me! :laughing:

2 Likes

@CT these were D’addario strings

Didn’t expect this to evolve into a discussion on cutting strings or not haha. Honestly, from what i’ve read here it seems it’s all just personal preference (or for recycling purposes).

and yea, I’ll make sure to have an extra set next time as well.

1 Like

Out of interest Marco where did you buy the strings? I’m presuming that you’ve had them for a while and beyond the return period?

Bought them at Amazon (sold by a guitar store), had stuff to order anyway so threw a pack of strings in there. But I only received them last week.

I received the strings earlier then expected and because no delivery confirmation was sent it still says I have yet to receive them between 03 and 09 sep. Because of that I can’t report a issue, as it says I can only do that after I have received them :sweat_smile:

Though I didn’t really like the idea of sending them back because 4/6 strings were already on my guitar and I did have the fifth one on there for a bit as well. Also the return process would probably take too long anyway.
Another option was claiming I didn’t receive them after 09 sep, but I would feel bad since they were sold by a guitar store and it’s not like they are to blame for this (if it was Amazon themselves I probably wouldn’t care as much, they make enough profit :rofl:).

So in the end, I just bought a single string (same type of course). Next time I’ll have a spare set and pay more attention beforehand. Though I doubt that receiving the wrong size string in a set will ever happen again.