Rhythm Guitar

I like that. That makes sense to me. As a very new guitar player, I used to think that playing the chords would make it hard to tell what the song was. I am now learning that this was incorrect as I get more into playing the guitar.

2 Likes

@mfeeney0110 Thanks for that, I will have to jump ahead to that one.

That’s where strumming and dynamics comes in. This is the rhythm part. The heart and soul of the music. Lead is the cherry on top.

6 Likes

Tony @TonyHS
Worth a look at what JJ Cale has done there are some great songs.
EC has covered quite a few and also recorded some with JJ.
Michael

2 Likes

One thing I have noticed while watching live performance music videos is how much non-verbal communication is going on between the guitarist (s), bass player & singers… lot of watching, smiling or nodding & even the occasional hand signals. This is especially noticeable when it’s a collaboration between 2 or more musicians who don’t normally play together… the rhythm is very tight when they’re really watching each other play!
Really interesting & thought provoking, this thread made me think of an interview I saw a while back with Tim Pierce talking about interactions between players while improvising in a recording session… I can’t find the video but it was really cool how he talked about how the guitarists “bounce off” of each other!!!
Great stuff, way above my play grade but fun to hear!

Tod

1 Like

It is a long time since I returned to this video and shared it.

12 Likes

Great video @Richard_close2u

I was thinking that studying to be a rhythm guitarist was quite hard as the only thing I could find was all about strumming as though that was all a rhythm guitarist needed to know. This thread has really opened my eyes!

3 Likes

Two of the most influential rhythm tracks in my short life.

That is what its all about !

:sunglasses:

5 Likes

And by the 80’s had evolved to this. Those where the fun years of Rhythm Guitar.

2 Likes

You were too young for the first two :rofl:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I think that I still have a long way to go yet! :wink:

1 Like

That’s why I missed Woodstock I was only 9 years old

2 Likes

I still have a copy of the near 4 hour documentary from the film that came out in 1970. I was 15 when I snuck in to see it at our local movie house. That was when I understood what Purple Haze was all about. Can still remember the aroma and that never happened in any other films I went to see and it weren’t Marlboro reds !
Ok maybe Easy Rider :scream:

2 Likes

I was under the same assumption and then started playing some AC/DC - Malcolm Young on rhythm guitar played some really great guitar. He wasn’t the front man but played a really important part in the band.

2 Likes

Tony, here’s a video of Joe Robinson who is doing a JG Clubs session tomorrow on fingerstyle. Listen to the rhythm part he plays on the acoustic - I think this is a great example of how the entire song can be expressed with flavor and color by the rhythm player alone. Georgia on My Mind is somewhat less frenetic than Richie Havens or Isaac Hayes. :wink:

4 Likes

@mfeeney0110 I have registered for tonight’s class. Boy can he play!!! Thank you for that video.

1 Like

Thanks Toby, I had forgotten how much I enjoy Richie Havens. Shaft is also cool.

2 Likes

I recall a strange odour when people lit up (smoking was allowed in cinemas in those days) during Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii, and so I easily recognised it a few years later when I started Uni :crazy_face:

1 Like

I just came across this video in my YouTube feed and thought it might be of interest in this discussion. He is a bit waffly but makes some good points.

4 Likes

@oztelemann , Hi Alan, some good pointers there.