Rockin’ in the Free World – grade 2 practice

Grade 2 student here …

In my journey with Justin Guitar there has been a few “wow” moments. In week 1, when I dared to play “Dance the Night Away” with the actual recording and it did not sound too bad! And another one when I picked up Justin’s lesson on Rockin’ in the Free World, and realized I could play it.

This video shows where I am now: tempo is still a bit off at times, but the song is definitely recognizable, and most importantly: I had a BLAST playing it :blush: Long live Neil, the Godfather of Grunge!

20 Likes

Very well done, Claudio! :+1: :clap:

It was definitely recognizable, but also your timing was pretty good! You switched between 16th and 8th notes patterns quite smoothly for my ears and kept on with the track. You were in the groove and I felt you really enjoyed the playing! :slight_smile: Awesome, keep on rocking. :smiley:

Cheers - Lisa

Great job Claudio, super steady rhythm and I’d adjust your assessment to “not sound too bad” to sounding very good!
Keep on blasting it Sir :slight_smile:

Well done Claudio. I thought your timing was good with a steady rhythm and clean chord changes. A great NY song!

Great work, keep it up

Pretty solid to me Claudio. Keen on rockin sir !

:sunglasses:

Oh, wow, that was great! I loved it, you really seem to know what you’re doing. :smiley:

:metal::clap:
Those ‘Wow’ moments are the best!!!

Sounded good! Credit for not posting an unlisted video! I don’t listen to or comment on unlisted videos.

You’ve got some rhythm juice for sure. You are off to a heckuva start. Well done!

I think the next step would be to start thinking about your tone. Try and dial in a grungier rock tone. I’m not sure about your rig, but there are a number of things you can try (rolling back your tone control, add some distortion/overdrive, crank your amp).

Love it!

Thank you all for the encouraging comments, this community is really super kind and supportive!

[@Lisa_S] You switched between 16th and 8th notes patterns quite smoothly for my ears and kept on with the track.

I was a bit worried about that. I started playing with Justin’s app and a simple 4/4 strumming pattern, but eventually evolved to what’s on the video since it sounded better (and it was more fun to play)

[@CT] Credit for not posting an unlisted video

LOL, my earlier AVOYP was posted unlisted, but I decided try being a little less self-conscious and made this (and the earlier one) public because “why not?” :slight_smile:

[@CT] I think the next step would be to start thinking about your tone. Try and dial in a grungier rock tone.

Good point! I did try playing with a bit of distortion, but using the open chords like that it just didn’t sound good, so I guess I need to start by moving down the neck a bit, and then dial in the distortion. As for the rig, I’m using a Boss GT-1 multi-effects pedal (which doubles as my audio interface when recording), so plenty to experiment with tone-wise.

2 Likes

Awareness is a very important element. :slight_smile:

NY uses open chords a lot on this song when he plays live. I did an experimental version (Trio pedal straight out of the box and no EQ on the recording) out on my channel a while back using an AC30 amp sim for rhythm and a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier sim on the lead.

Bravo Claudio, what a great rendition of this song :star_struck:. Really fine strumming throughout the song and superb chord changes. It seems, your fingers always knew exactly where they had to jump to :+1::clap:.

Funny coincidence, I heard this song just this morning on the radio and was surprised that it was a NY song :face_with_peeking_eye:.

1 Like

Great job Claudio definitely recognizable and played well. Haven’t noticed any major issues with timing so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Keep doing what you doing as clearly it works :wink:

1 Like

Just awesome!!! Loved it! Nice guitar btw!

1 Like

Late to a rocking party, Claudio. Sounded great to me. Keep on rocking in the free world!

1 Like

Nice one Claudio, way to rock it. Rhythm sounded good to me and nice switching between 8th and 16th notes. Tone sounded great as well.

1 Like