Rod coming from NC Turning the Page, new gear setup

Hey folks, it’s all in the video for the gear setup. Mix is always a question. As always any feedback is welcome. Thanks for the time any of you take on watching this!….Rod

10 Likes

Very much enjoyed that Rod! Very well done mate. That strumming pattern works well, good rhythm and great vocals mate. Mix between guitar and vocals sounded pretty good to my ears too.
Enjoy your travels, and look forward to the next one.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

That was niiiiiiiiiice Rod. Great playing and vocals and there was some pretty high notes there too.

Enjoy your travels.

1 Like

Fabulous, Rod, such a great song and you delivered a mighty fine rendition.

Guitar is solid throughout and the vocal hit the mark, really enjoyed the big ending.

Production wise, your fiddling earns a solid passing grade. Certainly any comments would be into the realm of subjective taste.

I thought initially the vocal was maybe a little soft but that thought faded as you progressed.

Perhaps the BT could be lifted a little. From a perspective of a mixing a production I’d like to hear the drums and bass more clearly behind the guitar. From a learning perspective, the subtlety of the BT is OK since gives us an opportunity to hear your guitar play clearly.

You will be missed on Sat, travel safe, and look forward to both more from your studio and the next OM.

1 Like

Sounding amazing Rod, you’ve become so slick with your playing and vocals have got a lovely feel to them now. Excited to see where you go next :+1: :clap:

1 Like

Sounded great Rod. Performed well.

1 Like

Really nice on Rod, you are developing as a player in a remarkable way! Good sounding setup to my ears, are you recording directly into OBS? You could in theory put your backing track directly from PC into OBS rather than micing it up together with a guitar, just a thought. Overall job well executed!

1 Like

Nicely done Rod, you did justice to the song.

1 Like

Very well done, Rod. I enjoyed that a lot.

1 Like

Great share, Rod. Didn’t know the song, but was right up my alley.
Solid strumming, vox on point.
You have an easy way in front of the camera which adds immensely to the experience.
Take a bow.
Have a nice trip.
Look forward to your next offering :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the details Rod, interesting and useful. Every time I hear a recording from you I realise how much difference acoustic panels make to the ambient sound. Your booth works so well for you. The mix sounded pretty good to me. Good work.

1 Like

Thanks much for the very kind replies!

@DavidP you have a sensitive ear for the soft vocal at the beginning; one reason was an attempt at building the vocal from soft to stronger over the song but also i don’t think i got in the pocket on the strum until after the first verse. Amazing how that confidence in the strum affects the vocal. I think for these videos this set up is ok. I realize it’s not optimum for all three audio sources. If something is going to give i would rather it be the backing track. Still more fiddling to do with that for sure.

@adi_mrok yes this is basically press record inside OBS with one audio stream which is 2 channels from the Focusrite. Channel 1 is the vocal mic, channel 2 is the amp mic which has both the guitar and Justin’sSong app backing track coming out of the amp. The backing track is from the iPad running the SongsApp to the amp via Bluetooth. The upside is no post processing for guitar tone, the downside is mix control and to some degree I’m sacrificing the backing track. More fiddling is in my future😀.

Again, very appreciative of the kind comments y’all……. Rod

1 Like

Well done Rod. That was great, I enjoyed your performance. I’m also enjoying following your ‘tech’ journey which as you’ll know is something I avoid. :smiley:

1 Like

Great! Great! Great!

1 Like