Rod Covering Chris Tomlin's Always

The never ending gear fiddling continues, trying different mic configs with the acoustic. I might have the vocal a little hot on the mix but I think I have the guitar gain right. You will be the judge. Some first time tried embellishments on the intro and feeling more comfortable fretting with a capo. As always any time spent watching/listening or commenting is much appreciated…Rod

7 Likes

That was really good Rod. I am not going to comment on your set up as I am a very bare bones acoustic and vocal guy but your playing and vocals were spot on and smooth. Well done!!

1 Like

Hi Rod, not my kind of song but you’ve done a good job with your performance. The recording was good too and I liked the balance of guitar/vocal. I thought the vocal was very well sung and the guitar supported it well.

1 Like

Hey Rod,

Nice one mate. Enjoyed that alot. Very well played and great singing as usual.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Nice stuff again Rod, feels like you’ve truly found your genre of focus and passion with this and your rendition at OM XII. The hammer on and flick off seemed nicely executed.
I think the mix was pretty good actually, slightly hot at higher volume which on the 2i2 would just be a smidge down on the gain but not much.
You’ve always been a confident performer but this is starting to get to a whole new level. Love it sir :+1:

1 Like

A very confident performance Rod. Balance etc sounded good to me. Well played and sung.

1 Like

Well done!

I’d say your condenser mic was just a touch hot, but not too bad. It sounded great when you were speaking during the intro, but I think the enthusiasm and confidence of your performance pushed it into clipping sometimes.

That’s a cool-looking guitar. I like your recording corner/setup, too.

1 Like

So nice of you to check it out sir, I appreciate your time!..Rod

Totally get personal taste in songs so thanks for listening anyway :smile: . And really thanks for the feedback and kind words.

Delighted you found it listenable :slight_smile:

Thanks so much Mark, I’m wanting to help with my church worship band in the future so working these up seems the right path. Your comments mean a lot bud!

So nice of you sir and thanks for the mix feedback.

Appreciate it much, my little PRS Parlor. Wish acoustics were easier to play! My 1 meter by 1.5 meter sanctuary!

Thanks for the feedback all!..Rod

1 Like

Really good Rod glad you are keeping on playing and singing and good to see you playing around with your settings. Off the phone all sounded pretty good but I am sure Jason gave you a solid advice on mic being hot or not. It was a pleasure to listen to your perfomance again!

1 Like

Thanks sir, 1 year next month it’s been great and this community is a big part of the motivation for sure. Thanks for all you do to support it…Rod

Nicely done!

1 Like

That was really nice sung and played Rod. Setup is sounding good to my ears.

1 Like

Thank you sir appreciate you watching it!..Rod

Another free-styling performance, Rod, the playing was solid throughout and a confident vocal, delivered with feeling.

I agree with JWC about the odd moment in the vocal that went into the red and caused a momentary crackle, just need to dial the gain down a little. Or in this case add the limiter filter in OBS that would prevent that.

Overall the final loudness of the video was over the YT norm by 1.6dB. YT would turn it down, not sure how it does that, but not necessary since fairly easy to either turn the gain down on both channels on the 2i2 or the faders in OBS. Trick is to check that out by doing some sound-check recordings or routing OBS into a loudness meter (I think some post about that in the recording area or just discussed on some of my AVOYPs in which I conducted recording experiments).

OTOH, if you don’t bother with that, just post and check your uploaded video, you could always re-record if too loud. In any case, not sure how obvious the impact of being turned down to 83% of the original would be.

You mentioned that maybe the vocal was a little hot in the mix. Personally I thought perhaps the guitar was a little hot, though I do tend to prefer the vocal to sit up front, on top, in a solo guitar and voice mix. The vocal was not over-powered by the guitar at all, so just my taste rather than something I would call out as a problem in the mix.

I wondered about the choice to use the dynamic to record the guitar and the condensor for the vocal. My inclination would have been to do use the mics the otehr way round. I think the guitar tone would benefit from the sensitivity of the condensor and you can get up closer to the dynamic with the vocal, reduce gain, and get less guitar bleed onto the vocal. That’s not really a big deal in this recording but in future it may be, depending on what else you may want to do.

1 Like

Many thanks for the comments sir!
Hmm OBS filter? I do believe I’m running that little piece of tech at 3% of its capability :open_mouth:

Didn’t know YT had a norm db or otherwise :shushing_face:

My room setup doesn’t let me see the 2I2 (its staring at my thigh on a little shelf on the table) as I’m trying to face the mic and the camera so its always a guess. Although I do roughly mark the gain settings for each mic for the session. I do some sound check video to get a level set and then go but if I get a little enthused in the vocal I may clip. I just try to get it close and send it :sunglasses:

The location for mic choice is pure exploration. I’ve done the reverse when I first got the dynamic mic (Shure SM58) a few months ago. I was disappointed in its sensitivity as I would have to really crank up the gain (almost 5 o’clock on the gain position which almost max) to pick up the vocal to put it in front of the guitar on the recording. I knew it would drop off on vocal if i moved my head a lot during a vocal but the amount it would drop (significant) even with the gain up was way more than I thought and made it really distracting during the performance so I wondered what would happen if reversed? Is it optimal? Maybe not but the condenser lets me bob my head more :grinning:. BTW the location for the dynamic on this recording was pointed right at the sound hole approx 12 inches away and the gain is only at 2 o’clock. And you thought the guitar was a little hot. Seems like this mic likes guitar better than vocal.

Thanks again for lending me your keen ear. The journey continues!..Rod

Oh forgot the condenser gain was at 3 o’clock.

1 Like

Always a pleasure and glad to try and help

Feel free to post more questions in #gear-tools-talk:hardware-software-recroding or Google.

For the level stats you can point your mouse into the video window when your video is playing, right-click, and you’ll find the ‘Stats For Nerds’ option. That will tell you your level relative to the norm.

Google ‘loudness wars’ and you’ll find articles about this topic in general, if so inclined.

That is typical of a dynamic and the benefit being less bleed in from the guitar with the downside being the drop-off when mouth is off-axis. That is also where the suggestion to ‘kiss the mic’ comes from. In my experience (ahem ahem, vast as it is … NOT), I find that pulling the dynamic mic back 6-8" from my mouth has reduced the impact of head movement, though I am still trying to develop better mic awareness and technique when I am performing, things like moving in closer for softer moments and backing up for a bigger and louder chorus are very much work in progress.

Rod, the distance sounds consistent with what I udnerstand to be typical best practice. Generaly speaking it is said to be better not to pint the mic directly at the soundhole as it can lead to some boominess. Based on all I have watched and read you could try pointing at where the neck joins the body, the 12th fret, or level with the bridge and pointing diagonally at a point between those two points.

Well that is a matter of my taste in terms of how I like to hear the level balance between guitar and vocal, with the vocal being up front and accompanied by the guitar, rather than a little behind it. But as I said, your vocal was quite audible so not a problem, just my preference.

Also the guitar was not too hot in the sense of clipping through going over the 0dB.

As for the mic and what it likes :grin: I suspect if you do some sound checks you’ll find that your guitar is likely to be louder and project sound better than your voice does when singing. I think one would be surprised at the volume if one hunkered down and cocked an ear towards an acoustic guitar from 12" as somebody else strummed away, relative to how we hear our acoustics as we play and sing in a room.

As you say, it is a journey and for me this aspect has been as enjoyable to learn and develop as the actual playing and singing.

1 Like