Rod Playing at The Lodge Retirement Home

Finger Picking has become my next challenge and so I took a song that has the verse on the original recording in piano and adds more instruments in the chorus. I have enjoyed working it up with a strum but I thought what if I picked the verse and strummed the chorus and that’s what’s going on here. I decided to take my experiment live and here it is at my 30 minute gig at the Lodge before the residents have lunch.

This is my second run there and I’m now official although competing with Line Dancing. :grimacing:

After my set my contact at the facility told me no one went to line dancing they all wanted to hear me😁. Early wins!

Set up is with my Spark Mini at my feet wirelessly connected with Xvive U2 and a Go Pro stuck up on the door behind me to record it.

Next challenge, (not that finger picking has been conquered) is to try and figure out singing and finger picking. One little change and you would think my brain would work, but it doesn’t!

Views and/or comments appreciated….Rod

17 Likes

Hey Rod,

Your audience was growing when you finished! Another song and you might have had an overflow crowd. Thanks for doing that, I’m sure a lot of our elders appreciated it. They don’t get to see live music much anymore.

Just_Dan

1 Like

Yes Rod! Fast becoming a local legend :v:

1 Like

Well played the fingerpicking and strumming worked well. When you get the singing cracked it might encourage the audience to join in singing as well.

1 Like

Rod you are a star, such a great thing you are doing and it’s awesome you have shared a glimpse of it with us! Very melancholic and easy going, I am not surprised you have beaten the line dancing! I would pick you in a heartbeat!

I have got ideal one for you Rod - Everybody hurts! Picking pattern is quite repetitive, chords are easy, and your voice has already been proven working with REM :smile:

Well done to you dear Sir and all the best!

2 Likes

Good on you Rod, looks like you were having a great time.

1 Like

Hello Rod, that’s so nice :star_struck:. I’m so glad to see, that you gave it another shot, and that your audience has considerably grown :smiley:.
It’s such a great and inspiring idea :blush:.

And your finger picking was really well done. Very courageous of you to use this new technique at your performance :+1:.

Soon, you will have your own fan club :smiley:.

1 Like

Excellent idea Rod, good on you. Thanks for sharing :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @adi_mrok, loved picking it today! But that singing thing……:open_mouth:… Rod

1 Like

Well done Rod some super picking and strumming on show there.
What a terrific thing to do. Kudos to you. Yes, get the vocals going and you’ll have the residents joining in for a singalong! Introduce some Country songs to your set list (Achy Breaky Heart :rofl:) and you can combine your set with the line dancing class. :smiley:

2 Likes

Bravo Rod. Inspiring to take the gift of music and share it with others. And your playing sounded as good as always.

1 Like

Hi Rod, I find it so nice you’re sharing your love for music and guitar with those people, thanks for sharing it :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
You sounded great, I recognised the fingerpicking pattern as it’s one that I play a lot and I was delighted by the sound of your strumming! Were you strumming with your fingers or using a pick?

That is only a matter of practice, make the pattern go on autopilot (lots of repetition) and I’m sure you’ll figure it out soon! :blush:

1 Like

Look at the video at 58 secs, I’m reaching for the pick off my stand :grin:, I’m then doing a really soft edge of the pick for a strum to begin with… put it back on the stand at 1:23…thanks for watching and the kind comments. That pattern is the 4th pattern in Justin’s finger picking lesson. I love it too……Rod

1 Like

I thought you sounded relaxed and comfortable, Rod, and your guitar sounded beautiful. Fingerstyle guitar without vocals worked just fine. What a lovely gift for you to share with the residents.

1 Like

That was great Rod and your switch between picking and strumming was nice and smooth. The mini sounded good too, packed plenty of punch. It’s like you’ve been playing there for years.

Big question is, what is Tropical chair swimming? Is that a REM cover? :smiley:

1 Like

That one caught my eye too! I can only speculate😀…. Rod

1 Like

Awsome Rod!!!
Never seen you with an acoustic before… sounds brilliant!
Well done!!

1 Like

This was great Rod, what a great idea.

1 Like