Rod working on more dynamic strumming Heaven Help Me

Hey folks, working on singing while changing strum dynamics. Hope you are all well and as always any views or comments are appreciated!..Rod

10 Likes

Hey Rod that was awesome! You really pulled off those high notes like a boss :grinning: definitely you made an interesting strumming arrangement here with lots of different tweaks and changes, bravo really nothing else than a praise from me tonight! All the best

1 Like

Hello Rod, wow, that was absolutely great. I love the changes in the dynamics. They make the song really interesting. And also the singing was superb. Although no easy stuff to sing. Chapeau!
A really good performance - and even with a smile at the end of the recording :hugs:.

1 Like

Good stuff Rod I enjoyed that performance. You certainly changed the dynamic of the song with the change in strum pattern and tempo.
I don’t know the song at all but could the first part be played with a more interesting strum pattern? I felt the change to the faster pattern was perhaps a bit abrupt.
What do I know. :smiley:

1 Like

That was super Rod. Love the dynamics in your playing which kept the song interesting and your vocals were spot on. Fantastic job!

1 Like

Thanks @adi_mrok, I really appreciate your taking the time to view and comment!

Really kind ma’am! The original song has a lot of instruments but the guitar definitely changes dynamics so I just tried to copy as best I could. At my count there are 5 different strums in a given section but overall starting slow and building. That makes the vocal tougher at least for me as I consciously try to sing while changing the strum. Much easier if I just play to the original song with no vocal, at least for me!

Thanks for listening and the feedback sir! This is pretty close to the vibe of the original song. Only thing I did differently was the exact strum on the bridge where I went faster and from what I can tell that is where the energy goes in a lot of songs. The original plays the first two verses with just down strums like I did as well. I wouldn’t say I copied it perfectly but conceptually it is pretty close. Clearly more polished on the original with a lot of other instruments :grin:.

Much appreciated, my normal is the same strum pretty much throughout a song especially if I’m singing it. So this is new territory :grin:.

2 Likes

Hey Rod, that was superb. You have come along way since taking those training wheels off. You must be very happy with the progress you’ve been making. Onwards and upwards my friend. Keep doing what your doing.

1 Like

Sounds good, Rod, different patterns and energy through the song certainly worked well to keep it interesting.

I’m no human metronome, so if everything stayed on the beat and in tempo, I can’t say. Not necessarily an issue until you start playing with others or recording over drums and bass.

1 Like

Keen ear in play again Sir! At this point i was more concerned with can i sing it close to the original smoothly transitioning while doing significantly different things with my right hand? I think I accomplished that. I was also very aware of does the change in strum speed up (or slow down) change the beat? I didn’t measure it but i will say i played a LOT with the original recording with no vocal in working up this song ( at a different capo position too :grinning:) so i think i at least gave myself a chance with my internal clock at keeping the beat.

Fully aware of the change when you add more souls to the mix. :sunglasses: Hopefully I’ll add that to my journey. Thanks for the feedback!.. Rod

1 Like

A really good performance and you had some good dynamics. As @sairfingers said maybe the first part of the song could be a bit more interesting strumming wise but then again I don’t know the song. Seeing your reply though maybe the original is that way. Vocals were good too.

1 Like

Yeah i think when you have an original with keyboards and soft guitar and then you strip it to just the guitar, it may be a little lacking. Although it did make a difference in how the song builds. Thanks for watching and commenting!.. Rod

Good job all around, Rod! Good work on your dynamics. Well done. I like the song. Such a beautiful, prayer from the heart.

1 Like

Thanks ma’am! We all need help, Lord knows I do especially with this playing and singing thing😮… Rod

That’s worked really nicely there Rod, it really does add to a song when the strumming pattern is mixed up. Lovely song too, bravo!

1 Like

Good to hear from you and hope you are well! Thanks for taking a listen, appreciate the kind words. Keep that Paul’s SE in your regular company!…Rod

2 Likes

:+1: Always in company with the PRS Rod, she’s picked up pretty much every day! Doing well thanks, pleased to see and hear from you too

1 Like

The work is paying off Rod. Some great dynamics in that one. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 Like

So kind thanks for watching and commenting sir!.. Rod