Roll With The Punches

Another Warren Zevon song. This time my voice was up for some flatpick strumming:

9 Likes

Hey Clint,
Very enjoyable… Good to hear you do a cover too. Nice job all around and liked your pick work.

Good stuff mate and keep up the vibe!
LB

1 Like

I have never heard that song before Clint but I absolutely loved it! Loved the way you strummed and sang that. Really cool :sunglasses:.

1 Like

Thanks LB! I do a lot of "stylized’ covers that are typically different from the original. I think WZ really brings home the goods on this track:

Super cool comment, much appreciated. WZ has a lot of great songs that don’t get much airplay. He’s definitely an under-appreciated artist.

Thanks for sharing WZ’s take on this one! I too had not heard this song. Zevon does a great job on this. Yet I like your version too! I guess as to what is best is a subjective call for each to make… I will be squishy and stay in the middle. Saying I like em both and it depends on the mood!
LOL,
LB

1 Like

Great stuff, Clint! Really enjoyed watching that mate, top strumming and cool vocal tone! Funky vid too! Keep 'em coming! :clap: :clap: :clap: :guitar: :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s a LOL for sure. WZ is the man, speaking the truth. I’m just a dude scratching out various noises, on the fly, trying to catch a spark in a very small room. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that! Appreciate the comment and positivity. :+1:

1 Like

Super stuff Clint. I really enjoyed your version of the song. You put out some cracking songs.

1 Like

Finally caught this on the tube this morning, Clint, after spotting it in my notifications. I especially liked your strumming on this one. The muted strumming in the intro and the way you targeted strings and picked the odd individual notes, plus some hammer-ons. Vocal was equally good.

I wondered about who the original artist was, before I saw the description. Gave the original a listen while typing this and your solo acoustic interpretation hit the spot … honour and respect for the original while bringing your own vibe which worked like a treat.

1 Like

That was terrific Clint. Super guitar play, I liked the muted strum intro leading to the full strum song. I thought your vocal really suited the song too.
I enjoy the way you put your own spin/vibe on your songs. Well done.

1 Like

Hello Clint, what a nicely flowing song :smiley:. I haven’t known it before, but will check out the original version, too.
Thanks a lot for sharing. Listening to it brought sunshine to this very cloudy day :sun_with_face:.

1 Like

Lovely tune Clint, really well played.
Love the tone of your vocals all around but particularly as you enter the chorus, perfect lilt to it.
Bravo :clap:

1 Like

Great job Clint! Really liked the strumming while picking out individual strings.

1 Like

Great again Clint,
Well played and sung beautifully… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Another great one from sunny California putting some extra rays onto muddy weather we have here in the UK! I much more prefered your warmer take on this one than original, I also liked your strumming dynamics really puts a great vibe to it. I would love to hear a solo in your take as well, that would make it even more fab! :grinning: thanks for sharing

1 Like

Great playing and vocal. Agree WZ is a much underrated artist who you don’t here much of.

1 Like

So kind! Much appreciated.

Thanks DP! There were a few “transient” notes that popped out during the muting sections. The muted sections were there to add some dynamics, the transient notes were allowed to stay during post production. If they work somehow, it would be a welcome surprise. Might cost me an award of some kind in the end though. LOL

Yeah, Warren was the real deal, I’m just trying to hack his vibe. No copyright hits so far, so I’d say his record label and estate are comfortable distancing themselves from my efforts. Total LOL!

1 Like