Rolling In The Deep by Adele Lesson

Learn to play Rolling In The Deep by Adele on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Rolling In The Deep by Adele | JustinGuitar

I was practicing Rolling in the Deep by Adele from the Pop Songbook, and playing the C5 root at the third fret on the 5th string as it mentions in the app. However, on Justin’s video it plays the C5 at the 8th fret on the 6th string.

So my question is if I didn’t have the app and was going off a sheet and no TAB, how do I know where to play the power chord on the neck, and does it make a difference?

You would so I’d play it where it felt the most comfortable. For me that would be 3rd fret
root on A string.
Just watched the opening of the video and Justin sliding between chord so that problibly
why he’s using the C chord at the 8th fret

2 Likes

Hi @VirtualM
The slightly quirky timing of the chord changes, and the sliding between them, make 6th string root power chords a preferred choice for this.
Playing on the 5th string would not sound too different - the timbre would be subtly different but you may not detect it. However, the fact of not being able to slide for those changes would make it jump and lose some of the quality that sliding between chords provides.
A simple chord chart would not necessarily give this information. TAB would. I’m curious that the app has C5 at fret 3.

1 Like

Thank you, I will practice with the 6th string as that does make sense.
The Bb is also on the 5th root in the app, as well as the C5.

I can finally get through the whole of Rolling in the Deep by Adele in a fashion, it’s taken months but I am struggling with my forearm aching in my right arm when palm muting the strings and hitting just the strings for the power chords. Is this normal and will it go the more I play power chords? Or am I just old and falling to pieces.

I am really struggling with the power chords so probably holding loads of tension in my shoulder so guess this won’t be helping, but I feel that my hand is a long way back on the guitar when palm muting which isn’t the most comfortable position, but this is probably because I am not used to it.

I’ve been finding the same as your experiences Emma, I think it’s just playing with and finding the right positioning. Sometimes I end up using my little finger as an anchor which seems to help a bit.

1 Like

Funny you should say that, because I do that and was wondering if that was the problem. I must admit I am holding loads of tension in my shoulder, so that can’t be helping.

Surely we can’t both be wrong then!! :rofl:
If you’re aware of holding tension in your shoulder then I agree it’s probably contributing. Out of interest how long have you been practicing the palm muting & power chords?

1 Like

I had the same problem when practicing palm muting and alternate picking. I would tense up my right shoulder and arm to try and hold the perfect hand position. I ended up having a really sore shoulder.

In time, I learned to relax the right shoulder. To fix the shoulder pain, 4 trips to a massage therapist and I was good to go again!

Take Care,

Ed

1 Like

I just started the Rock module on Saturday so don’t have any pain yet (at least not in my right arm, power chords are hurting my left thumb a lot), but for what it’s worth I also use my little finger to anchor the muting too!

1 Like

Palm muting on fast songs does require building a bit of endurance. However that might not be all of it.

Check are you:

• Relaxed? Hard when playing fast.
  • Palm muting with minimum pressure to get the effect?
  • Just strumming the 3 strings for the power chord?
  • Being efficient with your strumming? Minimal movement needed

Have you tried doing it standing up? I find palm muting easier that way.

2 Likes

FWIW I don’t anchor when palm muting, I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

1 Like

I’ve found that when I don’t use an anchor I’ll often inadvertently let go of the mute for a very brief moment on the 2nd and 4th beat when I’m accenting them. It doesn’t sound bad but not exactly what I want. Not sure if that a good thing either lol.

1 Like

@VirtualM are you standing or sitting? Power chord are easier to play standing. The angle of you shoulder and arm fit the guitar better. It’s also a stamina thing and will get easier with practice.

1 Like

At least a month, most likely two. I feel like I have been on Module 12 forever.

Glad you got it sorted, and holds out some hope for me. I know I am not relaxed because sometimes I don’t even breath. :rofl:

Have fun with the module. I really hated it when I first started it because I just could not move up and down the neck and keep the shape. But now I have two songs that I like that I work on and it’s getting better. At least you can tell what they are now. I did get some criticism off my husband when I was trying to play Cocaine in the beginning.

I haven’t stood up at all yet to play anything. I will have to give that a go because I am guessing the guitar might sit a bit lower. Definitely not relaxed so need to work on that. I think my strumming is efficient and only the three strings.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve taken a while on 12, definitely a good 2 months. Power chords I found are not that straightforward! I’ve just moved on to 13 but still plenty of refining to do with some of the mod 12 pieces.

1 Like