Runaway train (finger and thumb, take 1)

A while since I posted one of these… I just started to try to brush up my finger and thumb strumming, and decided to try it in the context of a song; ‘Runaway Train’ by Soul Asylum ended up being the victim:

I’ll be coming back to this again once I have it under my fingers properly!

14 Likes

Great vibe on the strum. Bopping away on the couch here. Well done.

1 Like

Nice job Iain. Nice groove you had going there and good vocals also. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Blobbyblob and @Eddie_09, while I’m mainly using this post as as a commitment device, all feedback is welcome!

1 Like

Good job Ian!

1 Like

Good work on the thumb and finger strum, Iain. Enjoyed the overall performance.

1 Like

Nicely done Iain. Well played and sung sir. Very pleasant listening to this first thing in the morning. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nicely played and sung Iain. Well done mate.

1 Like

Hello Iain, that was a really nice job you’ve done :smiley:. I like your strumming technique, and can imagine, how difficult it is to sing along as well. But you did really well in it.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

Haven’t heard this one for a while so thank for a remainder Iain! Really good job nodded my head to it throughout with joy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Iain, I don’t think I haven’t heard the song before. I just heard the original song. Your version sounds good to me.

1 Like

Great job on this song! I was always a big fan of this tune. I really enjoyed your version!

1 Like

Sounding good Ian. Looked to be some tricky stuff in there, which you seem to be getting to grips with. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks all for the positive feedback, around NYE/NYD I hope to post a follow-up, to see what difference a couple of weeks’ practice will make.

@SgtColon yes, you can fairly clearly see (at about 1:40) where I tried to get clever and introduce alternating bass at one point while I was singing towards the end (and promptly forgot how to change from C to Em, d’oh…), my challenge is to get that going through the whole tune.

Hi Iian,
Wonderful to listen to this , early in the morning here :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

I enjoyed that Iain. Love that song and well played… especially well sung.

1 Like

Well done, that is a strumming pattern I want to get off pat.

1 Like

Very musical. Nice job! Yeah, noticed the hiccup at 1:40, but you did a great job keeping it going without getting flustered!

1 Like

Very nice. I haven’t heard this song in a long time, and I immediately recognized it once you started playing and singing. You have a nice voice. I also liked that you kept it together and kept going without drawing a lot of attention to mistakes. Now this is going to be stuck in my head…

1 Like

D’oh a fortnight of having a stinking cold put paid to that! After this upcoming OM, I will get back onto this properly (committment device #2…)