Rut Busting & Consolidation

Thank you for sharing your experience, it helps a lot!

1 Like

Helen, some sound advice already shared.

One thing that can be tricky is self-assessment ā€¦ how good is good enough. People self-assessing can do so in a continuum ranging from super self-critical to very much rose-coloured glasses.

So it may help to post a couple of recordings of you playing some of the songs you mention with F, some power chords etc. That doesnā€™t necessarily need to be full songs (though grade 1 completion criteria does include playing 5 songs from memory, start to finish) posted in AVOYP. Some short clips in a Learning Log in #community-hub:learning-logs would solicit some objective feedback which may help you to calibrate your level with a reasonable expectation.

1 Like

Self-assessment is indeed quite tricky. Posting recordings sounds great and Iā€™ll get to it as soon as possible! Thank you!

1 Like

Helen, I am in a very similar space as you. I have been consolidating since around May. I started in on lesson 15 relatively soon after completing Beg 2. As stated previously, Beg 3 is much more self-directed. My practice for lesson 15 includes practice items such as ā€˜Work on techniques that need itā€™ (I focus on a different technique each day of the week) ā€˜Repertoire - Songs from Beg 1 & 2 that still need workā€™, (again working on a different song every day of the week) ā€˜Feel good strummingā€™ (various strumming patterns found in the Rut Busters videos in the Playground). In addition, I have practice items that are new with L15. This so far as kept boredom at bay and I am improving in areas I need to improve. Also I carve out time to practice the songs I know and the songs I wish to record in the future. I want to have 10 songs solidly in my repertoire before I head to L16.
When Justin said that consolidation would probably take 2-3 months, I thought he was joking. Alas, it will probably take me 3-5 months; however, at the end of my consolidation I should possess the skills that will enable me to make the most of the remaining lessons for Beg 3.
Did you happen to read Justinā€™s monthly newsletter that just came out? In it he talks about mental plasticity. Based on that, I have incorporated a balance routine ahead of my actual practice. Definitely not bored now! :rofl:

1 Like

I see no harm in moving forward. Just do it slowly and in the context of what you are continuing to work on. I found (and still find) myself moving a little forward only to then go back and work on further consolidation so I can do actually then work on what I had advanced to.

Sometimes it is good to have something drive you to do the consolidation and actually gain a bit of competence in the earlier skills.

Just donā€™t abandon the basics, they are and always will be a work in progress.

1 Like

Itā€™s always good to know there are others feeling the same way! Iā€™ll probably wait till September and then move on to strike this balance between consolidation and boredom. Thanks!

Good to know this constant consolidation approach. Iā€™ll give it a shot, thank you!

Hi Helen,

I am in the same situation as well. I finished grade 2 and didnā€™t feel quite confident enough to move on right away. After staying in limbo for several months I felt there is nothing to lose by giving grade 3 a go and learning something new. I can always take a step back to grade 2 or even grade 1 for that matter, if there is something I want to review again. That is the beauty of Justinā€™s system-everything is there as a reference to review as needed. We all have different experiences, unique things we do well, and different things to improve on. The best advice is to keep it moving and learn something new. Level 3 is no joke though. There are a lot of lessons that take time to master and I personally am not quite ready for everything there, but if I take things 1 day at a time I will get there. Best of luck to you.

Jeff

1 Like

Thank you for being so open and honest with your journey, it really helps a lot!

I am pretty much exactly where you are finishing Grade 2 consolidation (3 months of daily practice). My F chord changes are ok but not ā€œperfectā€ every time, etc.

I decided to move on to Grade 3 as I am becoming a bit bored. I know I will continue to work on previous skills and can always revisit past lessons if need be.

Do whatever you need to stay motivated and playing :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

1 Like

OK I am on grade 3/Module 17 after staring in January BUT I have played before and had a solid grasp of basic chords, strumming, and a lot of technique, I was previously probably quite a solid beginner level guitarist, and am still currently mostly consolidating rather than pushing on with lessons

1 Like

Glad to hear itā€™s not an either-or situation but a both-and. Thanks for sharing!

Iā€™ll keep that in mind, thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Iā€™ve completed G2, and at the end weā€™re told to consilidate.
Iā€™m kind of lost.
Iā€™ve just watched Justinā€™s latest vid on yt: Perfectly Starts Slowly - YouTube
So Iā€™m wondering, shall I go back to the start of G1?
Any advice anyone?

Niall,

Firstly, to be clear Iā€™ve not watched Justinā€™s latest video. So this is my own understanding and approach.

I view consolidation at the end of Grade 2 as being a period of time to continue to practice and, more importantly, to put all that you have learned in Grade 2 to use in playing songs, improvising, and anything else appropriate. In a nutshell consolidation is about making music with all youā€™ve learned.

3 Likes

So far I havenā€™t had any problems with lessons and I learned them pretty quick (except with shifting that F chord :smiley:). Im really interested in blues and bluesrock stuff and I cant wait to start learning bends and vibratos. Is it okay if I jump to those kind of lessons right now or should I complete grade 3 first or wait more?

Hello,

Firstly Iā€™d like to say this is my first post so apologies if this is in the incorrect area.

Iā€™ve been following the Justin guitar course for about a year and half now and have been at the consolidation phase of grade 2 (module 14) for a few months.

My question is what would you say is required in order to move onto grade 3? I know Justin has a video on this but I am keen to hear peoples opinion.

Is there a certain number of songs you think you should know at this stage? I have about 10 I can play from memory but feel like this is perhaps a bit light.

What techniques/chords would you say are mandatory to be comfortable with in order to proceed? Iā€™m fine with most the open chords and scales seen so far but my power chords could use some work. Iā€™ve not explored the finger style stuff much outside that lesson but truthfully donā€™t have much interest in it currently.

Apologies for the lengthy post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am struggling to determine when I should move on, and my motivation for practise sessions is waning so I am wanting to keep them interesting and avoid a rut.

Thanks,
Dan

6 Likes

Proceed forthwith, good fellow!
The fact that youā€™re asking the question indicates willingness and inquisitiveness :smiley:
Explore!
Iā€™m no model but Iā€™ve been a member here for over 5 years and couldnā€™t play you a single song from memory if I tried right now.
Come to think of it, Iā€™m probably the last person youā€™d want to take advice from :thinking: :rofl:

6 Likes

There are no exact bullet points like grade 1. Grade 2 introduces a variety of different techniques, and some, especially in the style modules, that may or may not be interesting to you. Personally, I moved on once I felt reasonably comfortable with the general knowledge/techniques and I was very comfortable with at least one of the style modules (In my case rock). For me that meant learning a lot of Rock songs. I didnā€™t have a specific number, but I do remember playing a lot of Rock during the 3 month period that I consolidated.

One thing Iā€™d also think about though is what you want to focus on. Justinā€™s grades get less and less structured (by design) as they go on so itā€™s good to have at least of vague understanding of what you want out of the guitar. It doesnā€™t have to be concrete but having an idea of where you want to go will help contextualize some of the grade 3 content. Specifically, the modules on goals and practice. He alludes to some of this in the Grade 2 consolidation video.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think Iā€™d say much thatā€™s not in Justinā€™s video :grinning: But Iā€™ll say stuff anyway.

Grade 3 is quite a step up from Grade 2. Make sure youā€™ve learned loads of songs. Iā€™d encourage you to give every technique a go and learn songs with those techniques.

One thing that is mostly absent in the graded lessons but is present in the song lessons is riffs & embellishments. So make sure youā€™re doing enough song lessons.

Youā€™d want to make sure youā€™re good at whatā€™s taught in grade 2 - all the chords including all Fs, percussive hits, etc etc.

2 Likes