Sail Away - David Gray

I’ve been learning this one for a few of reasons. 1, was to practice playing with my thumb over. 2, was to have a go at moving up and down the neck a little. 3, well. it’s David Gray.

It was recorded on the same day that I did, Thinking out loud.

I hope you all enjoy. Comments and critique welcome.

14 Likes

Wonderful Stefan last one was pretty good but this one even better! Loved that you stayed in the original’s vox range rather than moving an octave lower, double respect for that!

2 Likes

Great job there Stefan, never been partial to playing any David Gray songs I have to be honest but this might well make me change my tune!
Agree with Adi and tip my hat at the vocals on this and keeping the original range, showed your prowess there really nicely. Mixing the whistling in is a really nice touch! And nice moves on the fretboard. Nothing to really critique from me here :clap: :+1:

1 Like

Nice job Stefan I like a bit of David Gray. Everything spot on in this one. Nice clean guitar and a good recording.

1 Like

Loved it Stefan. Was a big David Gray fan when he was active. Superb playing and effortless moving up and down the fretboard. Added to that your vocals were really good too! Great all round performance :performing_arts:!!!

1 Like

Hi Steffan,

Always liked this song and you do a good version both vocally and guitar.
How did you not run out of breath? Keeping going so high for so long. Nice work.

Digger

1 Like

Nicely done Stefan, great vox in that register. My issues is whenever I see this song title, my head goes direct to Eric Cartman and Come Sail Away, shortly followed by Me First And The Gimme Gimmes. But I am a little mad. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi,
Well done and pleasing to my ears. Tone is good, captures the high stings well, when played up high. Vox was good and play seemed on the money.

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Wow, wow, wow. Dude. You have singer songwriter stuff nailed. Don’t know who this David Gray guy is but surely he couldn’t have made it sound better than that.

Glad I listened to the end, the whistling was unexpected and great. Really enjoyed it.

1 Like

@adi_mrok Thank you Adi. I’m trying to have a bit more confidence in my singing these day’s as I’ve seen with others that a lack of confidence in their vocals shows through.

@Notter Thank you Mark. His White ladder album has some cracking tracks on there and they are ones I love to belt out.

@Rossco01 Thanks Jason, I’m glad you enjoyed it.

@Eddie_09 Thank you Eddie. He’s still around, doing his thing. Check him out and see what you think. I’m glad it looked effortless, I worry sometimes that I’m going to overshoot.

@Digger72 Thanks Stephen, I’m glad you liked it. Ahhh, that one is easy. I can thank the treadmill for my lung capacity.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Toby, thank you. :joy: Maybe the Cartman could be a future cover.

@LBro Thank you LBro.

@jkahn Damn JK, you charmer. :wink: I’m glad you enjoyed it. Check out his White ladder album, it’s superb stuff.

3 Likes

Really great Stefan, very well sung and payed with some super up and down the fretboard work.

1 Like

Hi Stefan,
Great,… :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:
Great relaxed sung, whistled and played… thumb over the neck is a nice one to have in the bag,. :sunglasses:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Very good job Stefan. Song was new to me, so I listened a bit, then went to youtube for original recording, then came back to you and listened again. You were right on! Made the song sound super.
Great job with the whistling, I am big whistler, just ask my grandkids (papa do it again, papa do it again!). It’s a tough thing to do, keeping the mouth moist enough (especially after singing), to do a good job with the whistling and not lose it.

1 Like

@sairfingers Gordon, Thank you for the listen, I’m glad you enjoyed it.

@roger_holland Thanks Rogier. Yes, I am glad I can now use my thumb. I could just do with a longer pinky finger now. :smiley:

@MiJoy Mike, thank you. You are right on the whistling. Sometimes when I’ve been practicing I found it so hard to do. Thankfully for this recording it worked.

1 Like

Super stuff Stefan. Well played, sung and whistled. You’re on a roll mate. Keep on doing what you’re doing as it’s working wonderfully.

1 Like

Congratulations, Stefan, to your wonderful performance :clap::+1::smiley:. I enjoyed listening to it while I was having breakfast. Such a good start into the day :blush:. Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

@Socio Thanks James. I’ll see if I can hold on to it for up and coming songs.

@NicoleKKB Thank you Nicole, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Who needs morning radio. :smiley:

2 Likes

Generally smooth, polished, performance, Stefan. Some challenging high register vocals and tricky chord shapes and changes that you handled ever so well. Not to mention whistling! Well done!

1 Like

@DavidP Thank you for listening David and for the feedback.

I love this song and I think you do it brilliantly. Such an easy, rhythmic, flowing strumming style. Great chord changes up and down the fretboard. And your voice works really well with this song. I must check and see if there’s some David Gray I’d like to sing - you’ve inspired me!

1 Like