Sandman - America + Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead + The Weight- The Band (covers) aka. Feb Thread

Always a treat to read the replies, your replies, and catch another song, Brian.

You make it look so easy. There is great merit in keeping it simple, making it your own, and being all in unihibited in the delivery.

I think to truly be in the spirit of the ‘ration booklet’ we deserve another one or two before the month is up :laughing:

Hello Brian, partially, it really is kind of perfectionism, that holds me back from posting a AVOYP more often. But another reason is, that - for me as a beginner - there is so much new stuff to learn with every song I’m going to work on. New chords and chord changes, strumming or picking patterns, lyrics (mostly not in my mother tongue), dynamics,… so many things, I get to learn for the very first time and to develope the necessary muscle memory. Although this whole process is very exciting and fulfilling, it also takes time.
I’m always a bit envious, when somebody is posting a AVOYP with the remark, that he/she worked on the song for 2 or 3 days :see_no_evil:.
I know, I will get there as well. But for now, I have to be very patient and continue my journey with baby steps :blush:.

The probably next song I will post, is from an Austrian band and sung in an Austrian dialect. (With the advantage, that nobody will recognize, if I’m messing up the lyrics :sweat_smile:.)

Besides, congratulations for your performance of Street Spirits :clap::star_struck:.

Both terrific listens Brian, how could I expect anything else! Street Spirit is such a good song, more compulsory listening from uni days for me, I’d be happy to listen to your version all day long!

After you mentioned the Trio+ in an earlier AVOYP I took the plunge recently, an amazing piece of kit but I’ve not got it figured as well as you yet with the sections. Going to be fun though.

Has Yorick always been on the table / drawers behind you btw?! :slight_smile:

I’ve not been as active on the forum the last couple of weeks - a few big things going on IRL - but when I saw this one posted a few days ago I made a mental note to come back and check it out.

Brian and Radiohead! Woah! I was slightly disappointed you didn’t slip into Tom Yorkes ethereal high notes but I think that would have been a stretch for mortals. I liked the fingerpicking. A nice change from the regular routine.

Goodness, I’ve been a bit busy elsewhere on the site and have neglected to respond you all your wonderful comments

@pkboo3 Thanks Pam :smiley:
Yes, it’s a very simple backing track with only the first bass note played in each bar. The melding you’re hearing is probably just the delay and reverb I dialed in on my amp. It’s great song, and as Toby pointed out on my YT page, a good call to leave out all the pesky sus chords :wink:

@MikeSebastianP Thank you kindly! :smiley:
Good to catch your playing again, as well as your commenting here and on YT
Don’t leave it so long next time, eh?

@adi_mrok
Haha, I had completely forgotten about your finger-fetish :stuck_out_tongue:
Much appreciated, but it’s going to be a long struggle getting any variation and tempo going…
Thank you for your generosity

To quote Yello- Oooohhhh Yeaaaahhhh!
Thank you kindly, Sir.
Beware what you wish for… :wink:

@NicoleKKB
I wouldn’t even think about it. We all post as much as is right for us!
(Some of us just have ‘flexible’ standards :rofl:)
I’m looking forward to hearing your Austrian song. Hopefully, my Swiss dialect will provide a key to unlocking some of the lyrics :smiley:

@Notter
Cheers Mark. Isn’t it just? :smiley:
Oooh, how exciting having a new toy to play with.
It’s a bit of a slow learning curve, but becomes much easier as time goes by.
Keep it simple at the start. Feel free to msg me if you fancy a chat about tips and tricks that can make life a lot simpler.
Unfortunately, I’m too stingy to shell out for a real skull. It’s a plaster cast. I used to love teaching anatomy.

@jkahn Cheers mate :smiley:
I’m happy enough trawling through songs in the mid/lower register but get vertigo with any altitude :laughing:
Hope you were still able to get enough (is there such a thing?) playing time during your IRL period

4 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger ration booklet!

All this learnin’ malarky makes me want to spread the joy :smiley:
Last week it was fingerpicking-
This week I give you some individual note incorporation, including my first ever hammer-on (I’ve only been at it for 5 years) and a simple bass run :open_mouth:
I simplified Justin’s lesson considerably (He had ‘stretchy chords’ and the like…)
My trusty Trio+ couldn’t handle a 3-note bar in the chorus, so I had to program a shorter section and restart the song at the end of each chorus. Good for the hand/foot coordination.
I should have learned the lyrics off better, but I couldn’t handle much more Fanny
Is anyone still following this thread? :rofl:

6 Likes

Hello Brian…still watching :laughing:

No it’s that you say it differently otherwise :roll_eyes:
Oke somewhat to simplified if you ask me, this iconic song the way you play it, well as far as guitar concerned I say just a lot of more practice please… brought a little too early as far as I’m concerned (but I’m afraid most people will think otherwise :blush:)…

But how you sing it and how you bring the singing is absolutely amazing :sunglasses: :clap:

So I beg you to keep the pressure on this kettle :crossed_fingers:
Greetings

1 Like

Of course still checking in. Now we have a proper ration from you, Brian.

New the song but not the title or artist. A fine rendition.

1 Like

Saw the latest on YT and thought I’d better head over, these new combined threads seem to go under the radar if I dismiss anything.

Three enjoyable covers Brian’s covering a huge time span in a few short days. Great job on Sandman not heard that in years. Like the approach to Street Spirit, I find it hard enough to pick let alone sing along, nice version to make that happen.

And as for the last one, you made it your own. I’ve watched Easy Rider so many times, hearing this always brings back good memories. I liked @DavidP question as it reminds me of surreal discussion on the original along the lines of “who did this song?” “the band” “yeah the band, which band is it” “the band” “yes that what I said who’s the band?”
“THE BAND is the , band” :rofl:

You are on a roll but don’t wear the Trio out !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Now, one of the things I appreciate about my Dutch friend is how he is able to communicate sincere messages in amongst his surreal humour/language difficulties :wink:
I’m not sure how much you are picking up on my current thinking that I really should be concentrating more on improving playing technique than everything else ‘guitar-related’ :thinking:
I don’t believe in self-deprecation, but self-delusion is equally undesirable. It can be a difficult line to tread! You are quite right of course, and thus my only description on the YT video is progress documentation. I also have a bad habit of recording prematurely and moving on once I have shared, only revisiting years later…
Let’s call this the ‘wait’ rather than the Weight :rofl:

@DavidP & @TheMadman_tobyjenner
You’re my REAL friends :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Toby, I presume you are referring to a version of this?

1 Like

:joy:

i thought you were going to spoil us with improved strum (less Sl…laidback :smile:) and pick techniques…but it is definitely new what I see so :clap:
(Or am I missing something again?)

And… :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Yep you got it ! :rofl:

1 Like

Sounds good Brian well done on your hammer on, definitely worked out as it should! :+1: now am I right to say that other than first fingerpicking song and a hammer on with bass line rundown it was a first song off Justin’s repertoire you actually learnt? I mean you usually pick songs probably most of us don’t know so I was surprised seeing you following Justin’s lesson :grinning: all the best Brian

4 songs in 20 minutes from Mr Larsen’s catalogue, you is really spoiling me.

They were 3 great songs Brian. I really enjoyed Street spirit and that was some nice fingerpicking to boot. Not tried fingerpicking on the electric. Something I’ll have to give a go.

Bravo, sir!

Good stuff Brian. I haven’t heard this song in ages. I’m pleased you’ve been doing some better known numbers recently. I think we all enjoy listening to versions of songs we know.
I can’t help thinking you should try a plectrum. I know you like your thumb/fingertip strum but a pick would allow you to add more dynamic and pick out that bass run more easily.

Btw. I almost missed this song as I thought I’d already replied to this thread. AVoYP management is a work in progress. :smiley:

Really enjoyed the variety of songs here Brian. The stick out one for me was the Radiohead one. I think Yorke’s got a bit of competition!
Great entertainment, keep them coming. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You are on the ball, my friend :wink:
Explanation in my learning log

Hehe, always read the dosage instructions on the label, you fool! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@sairfingers see link in response to Ade above :smiley:

Cheers Ian, but I’ve got Johnny Greenwood in my crosshairs :laughing:

Right… Now where’s that pick? :thinking:

3 Likes

Calling a band “The Band” is so daft from a marketing perspective I can’t believe it worked. I’d definitely heard this song before, somewhere, but not really one I knew. You played it well. Not being that familiar with the original I can’t really say how close it was to the original but it sounded great.

Probably one of your best singing performances IMHO, just sounded good all round.

Oh yeah keeping on top of AVOYPs is always a challenge. It’s Sunday morning here and I’ve had a bit of time to go through a few of the ones that have been posted in the last week while drinking my second morning coffee.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Hope you’re well.
Never heard this song before - but a cool song.
Great job on the vocal.
Loving the percussion elements.

Digger

1 Like

… or genius :laughing:

Thank you for the compliment and vote of confidence, JK. The guitar playing is ‘a step’ in the right direction, but a long way to go :rofl:

@Digger72 Are you sure you just didn’t recognise it? :rofl:
The percussion is just my good ol’ Trio pedal.
I was comfortable enough with the chord progression to allow myself a little bit of leeway with the vocals, esp as there’s no singing during the walking bits/ hammer on.
Always good to hear from you.
There’s a new section for originals & collaborations. Would you maybe think of liaising with Richard and putting your Comfortably Strange output there?