Scale Diagrams A min Pentatonic

The attached diagram of the A minor pentatonic is useful because it shows the scale degrees and positions but they’re difficult to read because of the black background. I’m wondering if there’s a bit of software I can create my own diagrams in.

@stitch @TheMadman_tobyjenner

If I’m not mistaken you guys have a tool to do this?

1 Like

John

NeckDiagram2 is the program I use and it auto fills scales as well. Justin mentions it in the PMT early stages.

Cheers

Toby

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner @DavidP So helpful chaps.
I’ve not progressed beyond level 4 in PMT if is was mentioned in that part I must have forgotten.

Early stages I think but it is really easy to use and diagrams can be exported into different formats, pdf, jpg etc Its quicker to make my own now rather than poaching them from Fretjam like I used.
Its not free but good value for money, if you find the use of diagrams helpful when learning, as I do.

1 Like

@Willsie01

I have Neck Diagrams also.

It is a good bit of software.
£25.99 for a standard version.
I think I got the pro version.
Toby and stitch like to have their necks shown in yellow, I prefer to change mine to white.
Strokes for folks eh!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve downloaded it and watched the introduction. Looks very useful! Strong chance I’ll end up buying it.

1 Like

Yeah, that pentatonic diagram dump is hard to process. I’m not even sure how someone would use that as a learning tool or reference while playing.

I know! But I’m not an artist like youse lot. I have to try to learn the numbers…and diagrams.

@Willsie01
John, I’m definitely like you. Not enough time invested in ear-training and transcribing to be able to learn by listening. So having these scale diagrams both with note names and intervals highlighted in the key being played as a guide is super helpful to me.

I think you have seen the efforts of Toby, Gordon, and I to develop our lead play using the Layla chorus/solo chord progression as the backing. The solos/noodling is D minor pentatonic with a few added chord tone notes. I opted for this after struggling a little with improv over a 12BB, trying to work in the licks and to sound bluesy.

This song has proven a fertile ground to develop skills. Initially one can explore using position 1 root notes on the 10th fret. Clapton’s acoustic intro solo begins in position 4 with the root note on the 7th fret of the G string. Justin has a lesson for this intro solo, which I have found challenging but manageable at my current playgrade … well at least I can begin to get the fingers on the right notes relatively well :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Depending on what your current aspirations and focus is, then maybe this is something to consider?

1 Like

@DavidP oh blimey, David. Saying that you’ve made me realise I haven’t got any focus about how to move forward. I just come across something and take a look: like minor pentatonic shapes along the neck!

1 Like

It sounds like you need a strategy for practice have you watched the destinations and goes lesson in grade 3 module 17. Strongly recommend it and then plan from there. You can always ask for advice.

So much tasty stuff that one can encounter, John, all very seductive that makes it easy to get sucked into a rabbit hole. I think having a desire, goal or objective is important. Then as Toby says, once can determine the appropriate learning and practice approach.

For me I got the urge to pursue blues lead play after doing the simple blues lead lesson in Grade 2 Module 16. So I started at the beginning of blues lead with bending as a technique and simple licks in A minor pentatonic position 1. Cut a long story short, some noodling and then into the Layla exploration.

1 Like

I haven’t really looked much at lessons for a good few years. Apart from songs and PMT. After whizzing through the old beginners and intermediate courses I hit a brick wall, at a point where I fumbled around looking at the lessons but not acting. I did try the basic blues course but struggled with it. Think at the time I decided to try and improve stuff like my hand reach and chord playing and never picked up again. Those basics are still poor. Struggle to get notes ringing truly!

I replied to Toby before reading your post but in it I say how much I struggled with the basic blues lessons. Maybe a few years down the line I may cope better.

Amazing the way this thread has developed after Clint’s input! :slightly_smiling_face:

definitely…this is basically what I have done for years in the main. I listen out for songs I like and feel I can add to my songbook: the one with 3 sections. (I did watch at least 1 lesson!) Not a particularly big songbook atm but I’m trying to make it grow. I try to include songs that will expand technique. Fire and rain; Needle and The Damage Done; Sam Stone; The Wind (looking for a good lesson).

And absolutely nothing wrong with that, John. All really depends on the directions one wants to take one’s development.

If you are wanting to get into some lead play, maybe the new Intermediate Major Scale Maestro might be the way to go?

There’s definitely a whole lot more to playing the blues than just knowing a couple of minor pentatonic patterns. It sounds so good when those that can do, but I guess like all things guitar, one should not anticipate immediate success and settle in to put in the hours to learn the theory and techniques and use them musically.

1 Like

Fully understand that John and I think its common to lose some direction post the old BC and IM. I can’t say I have progressed as much as I would have wanted due hitting similar walls at times But what I would recommend, if you have not done it yet, is go through the additional material in Grades 1 and 2 (the old BC with extras) and Grade 3 which is an IM bridge. I think there will some new stuff there that will supplement your skills, even if you don’t want to dive of finto the land of solos! But certainly adding spice to songs.

But bringing it back around, if you get NeckDiagrams2 and need some assistance, just give me a shout. As I say it really is a good tool if visual aids help you to see things on the fretboard.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

I thought I was stating a fact that you might actually agree with as you were asking for a better way forward. I really didn’t think you were especially happy with a full diagram of the fretboard with every pentatonic note and position laid out. My issue is that this doesn’t get you playing anything musical.

What music/progression/song do you want to play lead over? I think learning the “Pentatonic Highway” (I learned it as pentatonic extensions) is more useful and will have you playing music while learning how to use the scale in a useful manner:

The pentatonic highway links all the positions across the fretboard in any key without having to learn each position. If you watch any of my jam tracks you will see me riding the pentatonic highway at some point in time and often adding half-step notes, and chord tone notes and such in conjunction.

Note: Justin doesn’t teach this to my knowledge, so if you are on a path that he has laid out for you, stay that course.

EDIT: There’s a part two of the pentatonic highway. Seek it out if so inclined.

4 Likes

I didn’t mean to disagree with you. That highway sounds interesting. I’ll take a look.

1 Like