Sclay's Learning Log

Loved it Shane you are really getting a grip of this blues play around and grasping some theory at the same time which is hugely beneficial in understanding what to play to make it sound sweet. I need to sit on this one day as well but there are so many songs first I would like to learn and not enough time! :smile:

I especially liked the finishing bit around 2:46 that had the most bluesy feeling within the track and I believe this could be something to build upon :wink: great job overall!

Much appreciation for the feedback David. I’m really drawn to this improv/blues stuff at the moment. Might try some slower stuff next so I’ve got a bit more time to develop some better technique. Anyway, lots of fun, and takes my mind off my upcoming OM debut. Sorry you may miss it. Wont be quite the same without you there.

Cheers, Shane.

Thanks Adrian for having a listen and giving some feedback. Will check out that 2:46 mark to see whats happening there. Re learning songs - with the upcoming OM, I better get back to nailing down my practice. :grinning:

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Pretty sweet Shane, certainly made that sound great. Looks like your scale practice has been paying off with all that moving up and down the fretboard.

Never fear, I’ll be there Shane, just perhaps not playing given it is a little late for me to be belting out tunes at home.

1 Like

Aw, I just love to watch folk do what they enjoy, and you seem to be having a blast :smiley:
You’re coming along great, Shane. Looking forward to you OM next week.

Thanks Brian, for the feedback mate. Much appreciated - and yep, lovin it.

Looking forward to the OM. Nerves startin to kick in a bit, but all normal I suppose.
It’s Federal Election time here in OZ on 21st May, and being a keen student of the political circus in this country, I’m hoping its not a close race. Otherwise I’ll be up all night before the OM start at 0530. :crazy_face:

Cheers, Shane.

1 Like

Thatt was great Shane. Up and down the fretboard and a great bluesy feel too. Well done.

Thanks for the feedback Gordon. A few flubs here and there, but pretty happy with progress overall. Havin alot of fun with it too.

Cheers, Shane

Hi Shane, amazing to see you going up and down the neck knowing exactly where the notes are. For me all three videos you have posted here sound good. I think you are doing still a lot of exploration and that’s good . You will be probably going back and forth and finding the sound you want. Keep it doing the way you are doing it. It is leading you to nice things. A lot happening between my ears here too so I try to always have a plan and stick to it.

Ey @sclay ! I’m late to the party but really enjoyed your improv. I’m just starting with improvisation in blues and I’m only able to play with position 1 of the minor pentatonic, so I can imagine the difficulty and the effort put into this.

And you have some leaks that sounded really really bluesy with a lot of groove, making me follow the rhythm with my head.

Great job! :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks for the comments Edgar. Much appreciated. Yes I have been putting a fair amount into this, but realise its a long term deal.
I’ve found that spending a lot of time on the first position of a scale, has allowed for much more rapid progress in processing other posItions. ie nailing down the sound, the intervals, how they function together, playing them in various ways, trying little licks etc.
Of course, this wisdom comes straight from Justin, and he has proved to me yet again that his methods are the simply the best around.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Yep, I was eager to learn more scales and patterns/positions until I saw the video of Justin explaining that actually are the same notes. So we have to learn to make music with a scale position before learning a new one.

Sounded very reasonable to me, as everything Justin says :joy:

2 Years with Justin Guitar.

Well, thought it was time for a bit of an update. A lot of testing times outside guitar lately. We all have them, and I’m sure our share will pass soon enough.

Plugging away on my practice routine, still centred around pentatonics, triads, arpeggios, improv, and barre chords. Try to really consolidate the foundations here, and slowly introduce some more advanced stuff here and there.

Learning a few more songs consistently along the way. I seem to be gravitating towards a lot of Aussie songs at present, around 70s-90s era. Some great tunes there. Also having a go at Gary Moore’s Still Got The Blues which is both challenging and fun. Great for working on my bends and vibrato, which are coming along OK.

Delving more deeply into both the major/ minor pentatonics, working on linking adjacent shapes, and finding highways across the fretboard over various backing tracks.

Two finger hammer ons are giving me a bit of grief atm, after some focused practice. I suppose I’ll just keep chippin way, and they’ll come good eventually.

Been messin around with my new Focusrite 2i2, my first audio interface. Got it all set up OK, dove into the software world for a couple of weeks, with amp sims, cabs, IRS, FX etc. Have a few staple ones that I’m working with. Trying to stay away, as much as I can, from patches and presets mostly, and work on expanding my understanding of how to dial in a tone from scratch. Lots to learn, but a fun and fascinating endeavour. Great fun, and a great learning tool for me, especially to get that ‘part of a band’ mindset. Thanks to Toby for the great info here. Invaluable. :+1:

So overall, very happy with where I’m at. Have been with Justin Guitar for 2 years this month. For a guy who came in knowing a handful of chords, no theory, and possessing a death grip on the neck, I’m giving myself a big tick for the progress I’ve made so far.

Of course, the brilliance of Justin’s teaching has a lot to do with this. Wouldn’t expect anything less from an Aussie. You’re still an Aussie aren’t you Justin? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And of course thank you to this wonderful community, not just full of some great guitar players with a wealth of knowledge and experience that is generously shared, but players of all levels striving to improve and help each other out along the way. Wonderful to see the great progress so many here have made in the 2 years I’ve been around. Above all, this community is full of many truly quality human beings. It’s a privilege to be a part of it.

Anyway, that’ll do me. Thanks to all for your continued support and encouragement.

Cheers, Shane

6 Likes

Congratulations on your second year anniversary Shane. You’ve come such a long way and achieved so much. Happy for you. Can you imagine what you will have achieved in another 12 months? Whaaaaa hooooo.

… and you are one of these Shane.

3 Likes

Hi Shane,
2 years !!! :partying_face: :dizzy:
How much can a person learn in that time … and we waste that time playing the guitar :roll_eyes: :blush: :joy:
I wish you many more years of guitar pleasure … and when I think about how we will probably be in the next 2 years :sunglasses: then I will become an even happier person…Tis good to see you arround here,… :sunglasses:
Greetings…

1 Like

:champagne: :champagne:

Bravo on your 2nd JGversary, Shane.

You’ve every reason to be delighted with your progress. Always a pleasure to watch your recordings, the conversations about musical matters, and the contribution you make to supporting others.

:clinking_glasses: here’s to the next year

1 Like

Congratulations on your 2nd JG anniversary. As @DavidP says its a pleasure to watch your AVOYPs and read your contributions to the community. You have done remarkable and should be really proud of what you have achieved. I look forward to following your progress over the next year.

1 Like

Hi Shane
Congratulations on your 2 year milestone. I’m way behind you on this guitar adventure but your story is an inspiration. I’m sure you’ll have many more Happy Guitar days.

Best of luck

:guitar: David

1 Like

Great stuff Shane happy anniversary and hope to get some recording as part of a celebration from you :smile: