SDKissFan - September 2022 - Poison, Selena, Kiss

My very brief take on your strumming question Jeff.
You think about the lyrics, you think about the chords. Both these elements help each other. As you reach each part of the lyric it reminds you a chord change is coming up. As you change chord it reminds you the next verse, chorus or bridge etc. is coming up.
As for the strum pattern, that has to be completely automatic. It has to be happening without you thinking about it. Whether the chords change mid bar or at the start of the bar or whatever, the strum pattern continues uninterrupted.
There will be exceptions of course but broadly speaking that is the case.

Hi There.

I took a few minutes to read your learning log. Now I see you have a very high level of experience; a lot more than me. It was a great story overall especially the origin of the sairfingers moniker. I always loved Dutch people. When I lived in Germany in the late 1990s I spent a lot of time in Holland. They would get mad if I threw in a German word if I didn’t know the word in Dutch so we would switch to English in the end lol. I didn’t start playing guitar until years later in the USA. So you have a lifetime of playing compared to me :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips. I am one of those annoying people who asks a lot of questions to the experts. I really want to improve. I’ve been trying to get the strumming automatic with a more than basic pattern. Somehow I will get there. It can’t be impossible to play at a level worthy of an audience if millions have done it before right? Take care

Jeff

Hi Andres,

This was not long winded at all. I appreciate the time you took to give me some ideas to improve. I like the backing track idea and what you said about breaking the music into sections. Justin has a video that said something similar. There is not a strumming pattern for the song, just for the section and it usually changes. I am ready to move up from boring basic strums to something worth listening to. Thanks a lot for the tips.

Jeff

1 Like

I have never heard the original, so have no idea how well you managed the tempo change. My comment was just an observation that I thought the tempo did change at a point.

That’s great. I think there may be a temptation when we take onboard the ‘Learn songs. Learn songs. Learn Songs’ mantra to end up driven more by quantity than quality. It seems like you are enjoying this song. Rather than picking up another new song that is a favourite from the ‘I want to play’ list of songs, why not double down and go all in for a while on this song. No idea what a while is, that’s a matter of choice. Just maybe keep working it in ways you that are different to your norm and see what happens? Of course, I have no idea of your norm is and have only a glimpse of how you go about things through the recordings you’ve shared.

I’m happy to share my thoughts and experiences, noting of course that these are personal from somebody who is far from advanced.

Justin and others mention the playing being on autopilot, some amplify this and say fully on autopilot. I wonder how we judge this? The only approach I know is to be able to play and be actively engaged in something else. I have tried practicing picking patterns while watching TV. I think being able to watch TV and strum the song would be a good assessment. But maybe that would still not be ‘fully automated’ since watching TV is a relatively passive activity. Step up and hold a conversation with another person while playing the song, start to finish.

I am pretty sure Justin could do this. As a student I recall a guy playing in a restaurant being able to have a conversation with someone while playing the solo for Parisienne Walkways and not miss a beat.

Now, I wonder how many folk here could play a song start to finish while having a conversation. I know I couldn’t do that. I may be surprised but my guess would be that not too many would be able to do that.

So I think this is a concept, my takeaway is that the more familiar you are with the song and playing it, the better.

Justin offers a sequence of steps to work from playing to playing and singing. Again without going into I have not followed the steps rigorously. I think if I did that I may still not have started to play and sing. So again, take the approach more conceptually.

I guess none of this may be really helping.

When I began my singing was quite stilted, mechanical and I found the strumming and singing would quickly align to a common rhythm/cadence. 5 years later I am much more able to play and sing independently. But it is still pretty much limited to 1/8 note patterns and I cannot play any song. Some songs just seem beyond me, while others seem to click.

What has made the difference. I think slow and steady improvement on my playing. I don’t consider myself to be a fast learner, maybe that is talent, certainly influenced by the hours dedicated to playing (results are related to quality and quantity of practice).

The other major factor was dedicating some structured learning and practice to improve my singing ability. My choice was Chris Liepe’s Discover Your Voice course. Improving my ability to sing led to an improvement in my ability to play and sing.

I watch close to all the AVOYP posts. It seems to me, though looking in from the outside can be misleading, that there are many people who seem to get the hang of playing with a steady rhythm and singing more easily than others. I feel it is a challenge for me but maybe one just doesn’t see the investment in practice made by those who appear to be nailing it ‘quickly’.

Irrespective, we are all unique and learn at our own pace. I’d say keep doing what you are doing. I think fair to say we have all seen improvements in your playing and performing. For playing and singing I’d suggest pick songs that are well within your play-grade. I think it will serve you to reduce challenges as much as possible. Pick songs that you know how the vocal goes, know the timing and melody. These may not be on your wishlist to play but will help develop the abilities. Perhaps consider developing your singing ability, depending on desire and time. Just like guitar playing one can learn to sing.

My 2cs worth, from a novice learner rather than an advanced musician with years of knowledge and experience under the belt, so take it from whence it comes.

2 Likes

Hi David,

Thanks very much for the thoughts and level of detail in your response. I think I’ve probably dabbled in at least 30-40 songs the past couple years. Maybe I need to spend time on sharpening up one before adding to my portfolio. I’ve played a couple of soy from Def Leppard, but maybe those will result in frustration and lack of progress rather than confidence building. There are many far easier songs to try. Perhaps I should focus more on the fundamentals and rhythm while multitasking. Thanks again for the response and have a great day.

Jeff

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Justin did a lesson on this that is much more official and the way it is supposed to be played. I thought why not muck around with it on a Saturday night and give it a go. A lot “sloppy Joe” but still was fun with the strat. Thanks for the listen. Hope it is good for a few laughs if nothing else…yes Alexis you gave me the idea so I dusted off a Kiss for easy guitar book I bought like 15 years ago…looking forward to your version

Jeff

11 Likes

First of all Jeff really great work, I could never sing while playing I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to that. Second, we have to be communicating telepathically at a subconscious level man because I’m literally working on my rock and roll all nite post as we speak and expect it to be posted within the hour! Barring any copyright claims of course. Using a backing track is a double edged sword. On the one hand the rest of the band makes up for some of my mistakes but on the other youtube immediately recognizes it for what it is.

I’m not the greatest KISS fan (not because they aren’t great but because I’ve heard only their big hits). Learning this song has gotten me to appreciate them so much more and it’s a super fun song to play!

Honestly I first tried this about 3 hours ago. That is funny you were about ready to post it. I must be inside your head lol. I thought there was no way I could play this song and here I am. I like most bands that have to do with rock and roll. I am on my second Saturday of private guitar lessons to supplement Justin’s course. None of this was in the lesson plan. Music theory and lots 7th chords in a long progression. He does help me fix my technique, wrist, and improved my F chord and the like. But instead of practicing that here I am lol. Have a great day.

Jeff

1 Like

I hear you, I have these intricate practice routines that I set up with Justin’s practice assistance but sometimes I’ll sit down to start it and end up playing this song for like a hour and forget that I sat down to have some structured practice, lol.

3 Likes

That was a lot of fun, Jeff. I thought you maintained a pretty steady rhythm and smooth left hand work. Keep on rocking on a Saturday night.

Well done, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, I don’t know the song but I was thinking you were doing a really good job! I liked the Rhythm, it gets super smooth when you’re doing the pattern. And singing at the same time! That’s a skill that requires time to achieve and I thought you were singing quite confidently. Keep on rocking :love_you_gesture::guitar::blush:

:rofl: Never a truer word spoken there Alexis in getting distracted playing songs rather than “practice”!! I did that very thing on Saturday.

@SDKissFan - Nice work there Jeff, nice rockin’ tone :clap:

Hi Silvia:

Thanks very much for listening and the words of encouragement. Have a wonderful day.

Thanks very much for listening. I always get nervous when posting a song that no one will want to hear it lol. Per the other comment, I do need to buckle down and practice scales, techniques from music music theory, and the basic mechanics. Random songs are a fun distraction though. Alexis was doing a video too, but he must have got blocked by you tube copyright. That has happened to me before, so frustrating when you are just trying to practice and get feedback to improve.

I think we all have that fear that a video won’t be watched / listened to!! Even though we absolutely know better :wink:

1 Like

That was great Jeff you rocked it :clap:t2: :smile:. Love the t-shirt too!

Hi Jeff, nice partying with that rock classic.

Thanks very much…was hoping to set the mood without wearing the star child makeup lol.

Thanks very much for listening Andres. Have a great week.

1 Like