Second Electric Guitar or an acoustic guitar

Hey there!

Obviously a lot of perspectives on this but I’ll give you mine.

I was in the same boat as you when I started learning. Learned on an electric then debated what my next guitar should be. I chose an acoustic and couldn’t be happier that I did.

It’s such a different experience of playing guitar and I think it creates a nice balance learning on both. Even if it’s not for the long haul, I think it’s worth getting some time in on it. You’ll develop even more finger strength, its sound is a different palette to play your songs with, and you’ll learn lots of different techniques on it like percussive hits.

Sure you can do a lot of the same things on electric but it’s not a competition, both are guitars ultimately. And if you’re really worried about losing the electric sound, buy an electric acoustic. Add a couple pedals and you can get it sounding pretty metal if you wanted to :wink:

4 Likes

@Svalbaard - I just luv your answer. :+1: :sunglasses: Exactly, life is too short, live life while its here. Just get on the highway and the pedal to the metal :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes.

No.

Learn to play the c chord on all instruments. It’s just practice and patience. It will come in time.

Then get an acoustic. To be honest I’d have an electric and acoustic as a minimum if I had the funds.

3 Likes

Personally, I think I’d stick with the Les Paul. I don’t think the weight or the neck/nut width of a Squier would matter that much, as far as the learning process goes. With that said, if you just want a Squier (or a lighter electric with a narrower neck, in general), then I’d say go for it. The most important thing while you’re learning is to have an instrument that you want to pick up play. So even if your reason boils down to “hey, I like that guitar and I just want one,” then that is a valid reason in my book.

I don’t think it makes things more complex. Actually, I think having both is beneficial. Again, if you want an acoustic, then go for it.

As for “should I get a second electric or an acoustic” I’d say there’s no wrong answer, but my advice would be to get the acoustic so you have one of each. You’ll end up getting a third guitar later, anyway… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Indeed. When I get to the gates of Oblivion and Mr Satan asks me if I’ve made productive use of my time, I don’t want to have to look back on things I didn’t do because I overthought them.

“Yessir”, I’d say as I start to riff on Hells Bells and Highway to Hell on my low slung Tele that has improbably managed to pass into the somewhat surprisingly tropical looking Netherworlds with me.

“Oh! Come on in…” he’ll growl. “You’ll fit right in” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would like to thank very much each one of you. You all have provided very good comments with interesting point of views. Some of them were funny as well and put a smile on my face which is always appreciated specially at the end of a stressful week at work.

Who guessed this is GAS and buying a second guitar was inevitable…you were right. Today I went to a Music Store and played with dozens of guitars, Les Pauls, Fenders, Squier, things within and outside my budget. Just for fun.

I then realized some interesting stuff:

1. I don’t really need a new guitar. But I want one.
  2. I want a lighter guitar. Not to replace my LP because I love it, but to allow me to switch between guitars in a practice session. And because I want a new one!
  3. I found out that I “need” a red guitar. Not available in the store…

Based on that I I’m proud to say I just ordered online my second electric guitar. It will be a Squier Classic Vibe '60s Stratocaster - Candy Apple Red.

Hopefully it will be a nice experience to have a Stratocaster in addition to my Les Paul and to try different things on both. For sure in the future I might be talking about a third guitar lol

Thanks once again and have a good weekend!

6 Likes

I wonder what the average time is between posting a “should I get a new guitar” thread to the actual buying of a new guitar?

This one was only 2 days!

It is is always inevitable. I have learned that when I find myself deciding I am absolutely not buying a guitar, it means I am about to buy a guitar.:man_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

Yes. Even before the C chord has been mastered the unending search for the perfect guitar has begun. That will soon be followed by the equally unending quest for tone. A few pedals are bound to follow shortly…

3 Likes

I’ve seen that on the Fender website. Very pretty guitar!

1 Like

Having a versatile electric guitar, such as a Les Paul-style guitar with humbucker pickups, along with a guitar with single-coil pickups like a Stratocaster or Telecaster, can provide you with a diverse range of tones and playing experiences. This setup allows you to explore different genres and techniques without limitations.

1 Like

The idea of rewarding yourself with a new guitar for reaching a milestone, like completing grade 1, is a great way to stay motivated and celebrate your progress.