Second Electric Guitar or an acoustic guitar

Hi
I’ve been learning electric guitar for only few months now. I’m currently at module 5 of Grade 1 in Justin’s beginner course.

My first guitar is not properly what they call a beginners guitar as it was more sturdy and heavier. It is a Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60, which I like very much.

However, watching Justin videos he is many times using a Fender guitar or even an Acoustic guitar. Some songs are played in acoustic guitar and may be difficult to reproduce the same sound on an electric.

Other point: I don’t know how much the fact of having a heavier and sturdier guitar vs. something lighter and with a narrower neck like an Squier would help me on this learning process.

My questions are:

1. Do you see any benefit of buying a second guitar more on the cheap side to alternate with my Les Paul, like a Squier?
    They are much lighter compared to mine, which has about 10 lbs.

2. Talking about getting an acoustic guitar instead, does it make the learning process more complex? I mean, would I be introducing another variable to my learning process that could make confuse a beginner?

All those thoughts started when I struggled playing the C chord and realized that it would be easier for my fingers to reach the right place when playing with an Squier or a Fender at the Music Store.

Also, the point about getting an acoustic guitar was raised when I started practicing music that is normally played on an acoustic and not on an electric (e.g. Ed Sheeran stuff).

I personally think an electric is much cooler but I do have the impulse of buying and experimenting different products, so any advice will be welcome.

Thanks

2 Likes

I mean, do you want to play acoustic? I think its a great idea and would help build out your skill but ultimately if you never want to play acoustic stuff its a waste of time and effort when you can learn **it all on an electric.

An acoustic would typically have a longer scale length than your les paul (usually 25.5 like fenders) and heavier gauge strings so are ‘harder’ to play.

fret width/radius etc all depends

** there are many acoustic skills you wont be able to fully do on an electric there are different play styles etc but vice versa

LP’s are often heavy , IMO there is an argument for having a typical HH Les Paul/PRS/SG/335 style guitar and something with singecoil pickups like a strat or tele.

1 Like

Thank you! Agree, if acoustic is not really my thing maybe I might be wasting time and putting extra effort while I could be improving on electric guitar skills. So maybe this cross of my list this option and give me a excuse to try a tele lol

From a learning to play pov there is something pure about an acoustic they are far less forgiving than an electric imo

4 Likes

Hi Andre,

The Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60 is a pretty nice guitar. There is no performance related reason to abandon it.

I feel like the marketing term of “beginner guitar” is secret code for “this is so cheap you won’t cry if you don’t stick with learning to play”. :slight_smile:

I initially purchased a PRS SE Tremonti. This was certainly a purchase I intended to keep to my death, even not knowing anything about what I was getting. I still feel that way, even after learning a lot more about playing. It was my “beginner” guitar. Don’t feel bad about yours! (ok, i initially got a budget guitar that went back to the store, but that is a long story…)

Justin uses the guitar that highlights what he hopes to teach with an instrument that students can identify with for the lesson. That rarely means that you need to use an acoustic (or electric) because that is what is in the lesson. I have used my electric for everything taught so far, and have only found a couple lessons that I just couldn’t make things sound right (percussive hit for instance). It really didn’t matter because I wasn’t interested in mastering the lesson content. I tried the technique a few times and since it was not useful, I figured I would master it if I ever played something appropriate. That in turn would mean I would have the proper guitar to do the job.

Having a lighter guitar can be beneficial. Playing standing up can make the heavier guitar really get tiring. If it is on your lap while sitting, then the difference is pretty small in my experience.

For your question 1, I would not get a guitar just to copy lessons. Get one to fill a gap in what you want to play, how you want to play, what you want to hear, or to satisfy the GAS urge.

For question 2, changing between different necks is something I was able to get used to fast enough I don’t worry about it. I change between three guitars with different scale lengths and neck widths with only a brief period of being “off” when I swap.

The C chord difference you notice may be scale length. My personal experience with that is improving hand stretch and dexterity will solve the problem. It took me 3-4 months to gain the ability to stretch for a chord I needed to play a song. After doing that, changing between my different scale length necks is just a memory recovery problem that takes a few minutes.

You can probably make your electric sound acceptably acoustic. I practice finger-style blues on a strat-style guitar that normally sounds nothing like an acoustic. it is in the amp setup mostly, but some reverb helps. The PRS I mentioned earlier sounds very pretty working on classical and ancient tunes.

I have the experimenters bug too. If you make a purchase to satisfy that, understand that is what you are doing. I like to make a list of features and then locate the guitar that satisfies the goal.

Hmm, looks like you got a book. I should never answer forum questions while waiting for dinner. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Electric can sound very nice clean for sure, finger style is entirely possible but again may not be the best tool vs a wider string spacing of a particular acoustic - but not all acoustics are built for fingerstyle either…

2 Likes

My LP-style guitar is a whopping 11 lbs!

I already had an acoustic, so when I decided to buy another electric, I wanted something very different than the LP, but I wasn’t interested in the Strat sound. So, I went for a hollowbody with humbuckers.

It’s WAAAYYY lighter, and the hollow body gives a smoother tone compared with my LP. But, the LP will still be my rock-machine.

Another option is an SG. They aren’t for everyone, but if you like the LP tone, you will probably like the SG tone. The biggest difference is the playing position. It feels like the whole guitar is moved to the left compared to an LP. Your right elbow is lower, and the neck feels longer. They are known for having a “heavy” neck. You should definitely try one on before you buy.

YMMV

1 Like

@Fast-Eddie

Yep on that SG - I got one because of the shifted position, trying to improve some shoulder tension.

Palm muting was a disaster for about 3 weeks! Now (about 2-3 months later) I can trade guitars around without too much trouble.

EDIT:
I was asked privately if the shifted position helped - Not significantly. The thing that helped a lot was being very aware of holding my shoulder in tension when I didn’t need to. Forcing myself to stay relaxed pretty much solved the trouble.

1 Like

I will present the case for the accoustic:

1. Its portable so you can sit outside on a sunny day and play a few songs, bring it on a camping trip ect…

2. great for singalongs with friends and family

3. pick up and play aspect means you may end up playing more

4. Some songs sound better on accoustic. Even heavier rock bands have accoustic songs

5. It will make you are more versatile guitar player

6. Accoustics are heaps of fun to play

5 Likes

You need a tele…

2 Likes

You already have a good guitar. Just learn to play it. At your level different neck dimensions aren’t going to make any difference.

5 Likes

Look, if you’re going to become a guitar player, you’re going to have to learn how to play a C chord on the perfectly fine guitar that you already have. When you are struggling with something, your first thought should not be “What new piece of gear can I buy to make this particular thing easier?”

You’re just starting out, you have a fine guitar – go and learn how to play it!

If you are itching to spend some money, just grab a few friends and take them all out for a steak dinner. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you are acoustic-curious then I would definitely consider scratching that itch.

There’s also value in other electric guitars if you are thinking you will focus on electric, as they have different feel, sound, etc.

But I would do this more because you want to explore different styles of guitar rather than because it enhances your learning.

But acoustic is a different beast in many ways,.so I would suggest this.might be the best if you want to expand your learning experience.

But, if you think it’s going to make your learning journey easier in some way, it’s not.

Cheers,

Keith

5 Likes

Hi, in my language the accelerator in a car is called ‘het gaspedaal’ (The gas pedal). Which has a bearing on the Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, I think.

New gear will not accelerate your learning to play the guitar, in my humble opinion. You will probably end up playing equally bad (or good) on both guitars.

A new guitar may help you if it re-invigorates a failing desire to play guitar and get you to practice to play better. It would be a lovely reward for finishing grade 1 for instance…

In other words, if you are totally satisfied with your LP, but have problems playing that C chord, buckle down and get it right on the LP.

If on the other hand you already fell in love with that Thinline Tele, because of whatever reason, (weight, neck, tone) grab it and find out which of the two guitars you end up playing more.

On the acoustic front, you’ll inevitably get there when you are good and ready…

By the way, in my country the brake pedal in a car is called ‘de rem’. That has a meaning too in guitarworld : (the Remove Excessive equiMent challenge), i.e. letting go of the gear that you rarily use. For you to judge the risk there. :wink:

4 Likes

Hi Andre,

Happy A.N.G.D. :partying_face:(almost new guitar day)

And Tjeerd,never NO REALLY never say this to my wife… :roll_eyes:

Don’t listen to that mean gentleman above, he may say all sorts of sensible things but we both know you want a new guitar right?

:see_no_evil: :laughing:

Greetings and have fun learning playing and buying :sunglasses:
Rogier

BuyniceguitarBuyniceguitarBuyniceguitarBuyniceguitarBuyniceguitarBuyniceguitarBuyniceguitar

2 Likes

If you want a Squier - go and buy one. If you want an accoustic, which I would thoroughly recommend - go and buy one (but make sure you make some noise on a few first to get a feel for them).

Honestly life is just too short and fleeting for this type deliberation :roll_eyes:. If the question is “do I need a new guitar?” The answer is always… YES!!! Even my lovely wife agrees with me on this - and she is never wrong (apparently).

3 Likes

[quote=“TRJ, post:14, topic:208097”]
‘de rem’. That has a meaning too in guitarworld : (the Remove Excessive equiMent challenge)
[/quote

REM (or rapid eye movement) is associated with dreaming, either when you are asleep or suffering from a ‘gas-attack’ in a guitar store :eyes: :wink:

3 Likes

:rofl:

But she probably knows already… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

:rofl: Touche Brian

In my case, the music I love is nearly all hard rock and metal, so naturally enough when I started playing I went electric (before quitting). This time when I started learning again (I still had the electric) I bought an acoustic guitar and it’s been a revelation for me and I love playing it.

That is my story and isn’t necessarily relevant to you. here are a few thoughts.

I also owned a Les Paul. I found it too heavy and sold it because it was too heavy. I got a Gibson SG which is much lighter and more comfortable for me.

If I was to buy a second electric guitar, I’d buy something completely different to what my first guitar was, so maybe a Tele (which was my second electric guitar - or the 3rd if you count the one I sold).

If you bought an acoustic but like electric guitar, what would you play on the acoustic? Don’t buy one if you don’t have a vague idea of how you’d use it or it will gather dust

3 Likes