September Shadows - original song

Borrowed a picking pattern from Mark Knopfler on this, and even though I slowed it down, I had a tough time hitting all the notes and consistently maintaining my timing throughout. Also used a volume pedal for the first time, which opens up new things.

4 Likes

Great stuff Jay!

1 Like

Thanks, Dave. I realize after listening to it that I’m going to have to learn to use finger picks. The sound of my fingers rubbing against the strings is a real distraction on this one.

Really good play and vox. I don’t see the finger noise as a distraction; just the natural sound of you playing. Very nice!

1 Like

Another lovely production, Jay. You have quite a catalog now.

Really enjoyed the vibe on this one and the way you arranged and mixed the song, your play and singing. Sounds just right.

Bravo

1 Like

Lovely song Jay, terrifically played and sung! Like others I didn’t find finger noise an issue at all, if anything it’s just what I’d expect in an acoustic track that those sounds are in there, it’s all very natural.
You clearly invested a lot of time in that track, kudos!

1 Like

Lovely song Jay. Great production and playing. I thought any string noise sounded natural.
Perhaps add a bridge with a different chord progression to change things up a bit?

1 Like

A plus one here for the string noise.

I personally like the ‘extra’ squeaks and scrapes, it is just another element that makes the guitar the guitar.

1 Like

Another great song and production, Jay. That was some real sweet playing.

Bravo! :clap:

1 Like

Love your originals, Jay.
No exception here. The volume swell is cool.
I enjoy the inclusion of video for all the different parts.
If you wanted to make a greater connection with the viewer, I think looking at the camera whilst you’re singing would add that.
I like the way that even if it’s September, the end is near and we’re flying blind, we still have loads of time to reminisce, write, play and sing :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, Brian. Completely agree about time left to play. I’m so glad I decided to take this up again a couple of years ago.

Thank you all for the kind comments and the encouragement about the finger noise. I still think I should give fingerpicks a go. Gordon, I agree that this one needs something different to break it up - gets a bit tedious. I thought the solo would take care of that, but it’s not enough.

Lovely song!

1 Like