Short original with some funky strumming

I’ve been noodling around several days ago and come up with this very cool sounding strumming pattern. And today got a a chance to record it and even add some layers. It’s very rough and not properly rehearsed and arranged, but even now it sounds super fun (or is it just because I played it?). Now I need to make the full 2-3 minutes tune out of it when I’ll be home.
What do you think of it?
And is it an odd time signature or my rhythm just that bad? Because it isn’t in 4/4 nor 5/4. Something like 9/8. Or I just can’t count and play in time, that’s more likely. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

The time signature seems to fluctuate thru the piece. I would put a metronome to 16th beat and count. Or use something like Guitarpro and write things down

1 Like

Artum sounds funky to me. You going from rock to funk ? You know what they say once you go funk you never go back.

1 Like

sounds to me like it could be 4/4 with 16th note strumming, something along the lines of:

1, 2, 3, and-a-4-e-and 1 etc or maybe 1,2,3, and-a-4 and-a-1

1 Like

It sounds interesting for a live performance, especially if you listen to it several times in a row, which I did.
But if you record using DAW, you would need to check the grid and, perhaps, slightly adjust the timing.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I needed to do. Not Guitarpro, just a sheet of paper, but it’s enough. Seems like my initial rhythm is indeed in 9/8 and this makes everything more complicated. I often have troubles with the metronome even in 4/4. Seems like it’s time to practice.

I definitely love funk rhythms, but not as much as power chords. So I thing it’s gonna be fine. Thanks for checking out.

Yeah, that works, but it doesn’t sound the same without that additional 8th note.

Thanks for giving it a listen. I didn’t have much time to record it and the pentatonic noodling was improvised to some success. I certainly need to get more familiar with DAW, because for now I only discovered how to create tracks and press “Record” in Audacity, so it’s a long way to go.

1 Like

Hi Artem!
I’m thinking that the timing feels a bit inconsistent…
BUT…
it sounds pretty funky & cool!!! I like the vibe!!!

Besides, don’t forget what Justin always says:
If it SOUNDS good, it IS good!

This sounds like a good base to build on!!!

Tod

1 Like

Sounds good, Artem, certainly a good seed to grow a song.

I’m not good enough to try and figure out the timing and rhythm. But maybe you lost a little consistency in one or two spots?

1 Like

Yep, that’s it. Gotta practice with a metronome, but it turned out to be in 9/8. :sweat_smile: Seems like my brain decided to add some challange, but it’s good, isn’t it?

Glad that you enjoyed it, thanks for tuning in.
Maybe in a month or two it will become a complete piece.

1 Like

Hello Artem…this sounds cool and funky to me! I think this could be well a 4/4…you may try to decide on which notes you are on beat 1 and try to use a metronome, without bothering to much about the other notes as long as you fall exactly on 1 when you want to! I could tap 1 2 3 4, as the others have said maybe only a couple of innacuracies…but that’s a good job and a thumb up from my part :+1::raised_hands::blush:

1 Like

Yeah, it can be adjusted to 4/4, but I really like that 9/8 feel. So it’s time to struggle with the metronome, yay! And thanks for listening.

1 Like

Really like the vibe! Would love to hear what comes out of this.

Chris

1 Like

I can tag you somewhere when it’ll be done in a couple of month (I hope).

1 Like

Sounds good. Just followed you on SoundCloud.

1 Like

Hello Artem, that’s a really funky sounding composition. Very cool :sunglasses:.
I don’t need to repeat, what others have already said about the timing - you’re aware of this already. But definitely a great start for more :star_struck:. Congratulations :clap::clap::clap:!

1 Like

Thanks, Nicole. I just recently discovered recording and multitracking (except for the one time I did it with a voice recorder on my phone) and it’s so much fun. How you can create different layers, change the whole dynamic of the piece is fascinating. But somehow my favorite part is making a bass line.

1 Like

Well, you’re brave! But if it feels good to have the 9/8 then take the challenge and go for it!

1 Like

I really don’t know why it is like that. The metal riff I come up with last month turned out to be in 7/4, another riff is in 5/4. But 9/8 is the most odd one here. But it forces me to practice with a metronome, so that’s good.