Should I go to electric guitar world?

Thanks do you mean this one?

No - that is a newer version ā€¦ though of course is decent and can be bought new. The older model had some superior features and build quality and looks like this )with / without foot pedal).

Perhaps you can find a used model somewhere near you.

Thanks @Majik and @DavidP for your replies. Thanks god Iā€™m not in a hurry to buy an electric, I currently use my sons strat style from Vintage Reissued to make my first steps into the electric world (or should I say rabbit hole? :joy: ) Coming from acoustic, I find the electric much easier to fret, but harder to get a proper sound out of it. So, first step for me is to get used to play the electric too and to get a decent clean sound out of my new amp.
Iā€™m not sure yet, which way to go musically, and have to improve anyway, so Iā€™ll wait with a purchase at least till Iā€™ve finished and consolidated Grade 2. Try to use the time until then to learn more about all the tecnical stuff too.
I tell myself to choose a versatile guitar and concentrate first on developping my skills and not to buy variuos guitars I donā€™t master and get distracted, even as there are so many beautiful guitars and I feel shivers running down my back every time I see one :rofl:.This humbucker / single coil decision confuses me. Mostly when I hear sound samples, I tend to the humbuckers, then I hear David Guilmoreā€™s Strat and Iā€™m fascinated about that too.
Best of both worlds would be great :cowboy_hat_face:
Thanks again for taking your time to answer!

1 Like

@Helen0609 That all sounds good, Andrea

So what would constitute a decent sound?

Until you one of your favourite players using a tele, then you are into a third world :laughing:

I have decided that until I can play well enough and have a musical need for different electric guitars, I will not acquire anymore. Of course there are other good reasons for acquiring more, but for me my LP serves me well.

Luckily you have no immediate need to acquire anything, that is until your sonā€™s is no longer an option.

Also worth remembering that the sound we hear when listening to our favourite players is first and foremost produced by their playing, then the quality of the instrument, pedals, amps, etc. and finally there is the post-recording processing. Hence the suggestion to pick what sounds good to you, that encourages you to play, and take it from there. Eventually the pursuit of tone may lead you to more instruments and gear.

Getting chords ring out clean on electric too, muting strings, etc., applying at least basic playing techniques for electric guitar, not to create a ā€œsound pulpā€. Finding the right power for hitting the strings. Have the impression, there is a lot of sensitivity needed. Iā€™m only on Module 10 now, so a lot to learn about this. Looking forward to get better :sunglasses:

Great chance, that this would be a hollow-body in my case :joy:

Thatā€™s what I feel too. I must deserve it. At least a little bit :sunglasses: I set myself a goal, something to work for.

Thatā€™s what I learned too, meanwhile. I wasnā€™t aware, that there is so much technical effort. For me, itā€™s first getting a solid playing basis, get used to the amp and whatever comes next.
Iā€™m not so much focused on sounding like a specific artist, just to sound good, hope to get an access to the blues world, maybe.
All I know for the moment is, that the decision to start playing, was one of the best ones in my life :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Funnily enough, I think that getting a decent sound from an acoustic involves the same things.

The challenges can just be amplified (pun intended) when you turn the volume up. And if you turn the guitar ampā€™s gain up too loud. The increased gain setting will begin to distort the sound and add length to how long a note will ring. Push that to extremes and the guitar becomes a beast that can begin to growl before you even touch a string.

So initially if you keep the gain down, the volume to similar levels as the acoustic guitar, then you will enjoy the benefits of the lower action and lighter string gauge and be able to develop the left and right hand techniques needed to play both instruments.

And as you progress youā€™ll learn more techniques that allow you to turn up that gain and make the most of the electric.

Thatā€™s why many of us have multiple electric guitars.

This is my collection: a strat style, a Tele, an SG with P90ā€™s, and a PRS with humbuckers.

(And a bass and an acoustic, and a small acoustic and an electric travel guitar not in this photo).

You mention you are intrigued by Gilmoreā€™s strat. Well you should be able.to get similar tones from your Sonā€™s Vintage.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Oh, yes :joy:. I already fumbled around on different settings of my amp. Took the clean bright channel, setted the gain at a very low level, played with the EQ, tried out the different 5 positions of the pickups. Itā€™s getting better. But it takes a lot of time and settings have to be adapted for each song. Pfffffā€¦ can understand why somebody can get completely lost in the guitar universe in a positive sense :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks again, David!

2 Likes

Wow nice. Good pic I had actually a question about hangers . So it is ok to put my guitars on hangers like that and it wonā€™t damage the guitars. :slight_smile:

No, but Iā€™m a rebel.

I kid. Of course, itā€™s fine. Most guitar shops have them on hangers like this.

Cheers,

Keith

If the hangers are secured properly into wall studs or the proper anchors are used its perfectly safe. If your house has drywall and you screw into it with our a proper anchor your guitar will come crashing down to the floor.

Keith. Is your last name Richards with this collection of guitars? Wow impressive!

I know that! And I can really understand the need to have guitars for different applications, if someone reaches a certain niveau. I already have this gear issue with skiing. Different skis are also needed for different conditions or purposes, so we have a ski cellar with at least 10 pairs of skis for 2 persons. I already told my husband, that itā€™s going to be the same with guitars, if I should ever reach a certain level :cowboy_hat_face:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good joke! Maybe DG would get out this tones of the Vintage, Iā€™m so far away from sounding like him :see_no_evil:

1 Like

If I could convince my wife I would buy more and more guitars :slight_smile: Guitars are more important for me than even cars

Well, yes, most of us are. The point was you probably have the tools already. I think you realise that as you have been experimenting with those tools.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I had one guitar for the longest time, but circumstances led me to acquire others over the years. Itā€™s certainly not a reflection of my abilities.

If you are interested, I describe my kit, old and new, in my Learning Log.

Cheers,

Keith

Iā€™ll have to check it out. I have four electric guitars and four acoustic. I think I have too many lol. New guitars are always fun. My most unique one is a dean Flying V acoustic- sounds great but awkward to hold.Iā€™ll be sure to check your learning log for the grand tour :grin:

Only if he has a few hundred more in storage :rofl:

1 Like

OK guys one more question and I am done. OK when I order my electric guitar. Do I need to ask them to set it up for me? When setting up is there any thing I need to ask them to do? Is there any thing I need to take into consideration when they do the set up ?

Do you mean the retailer or the guitar store? The store may be able to do adjustments that donā€™t require very specialized tools.

But the setup is done for the individual. Think of it as customizing. If you ask them to do something, try it out and it doesnā€™t feel comfortable, then youā€™d have to send it back again. Why donā€™t you just take that guitar to a luthier to check it?