Should I go to electric guitar world?

Mooer GE100 is a more than useful entry level multi-fx.

Or a Vox StomplAB 2G.

I still happy use mk1 version of a Zoom G3.

1 Like

I really like the sound of those new Revstars. Iā€™m tempted with one myself.

Not at all. In fact a lot of Gilmoreā€™s stuff, like many of his most famous solos, are distorted. And he uses a single coil strat for most of these.

Distortion is mostly a function of the amp. If you can push the amp hard enough, it will distort. Most guitar amps are designed to distort easily and will do so with any pickup type, including electro-acoustics.

The difference between pickup types is largely about the frequency range they occupy.

Humbuckers are fuller and ā€œfatterā€ than single coils, but they can be a bit muddy for some peopleā€™s taste. They will also normally be a bit higher output than single coils so will start to distort sooner.

Single coils will be thinner and will generally cut through a full band mix a bit better, but can sound harsh, especially in isolation.

P90ā€™s are basically high output single coils.

But with the right amp, any of them will distort easily.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

@Majik Sorry, if I step into this discussion. But youā€™re a walking encyclopedia, Majik. Iā€™m interested in this issue too, because Iā€™m looking for a very versatile electric, which offers a wider range of options. What about splitable humbuckers and different combinations to switch between different pickups (I think, Hagstroms do that?) Can I get a real ā€œsingle coil soundā€ out of them, or is it a halfway compromise?

1 Like

@Helen0609

Andrea, Iā€™m no encyclopedia of knowledge nor vast experience, but FWIW I shall share my experience.

I tried strat, tele, and LP, style guitars in my price range when I wanted an electric, which was perhaps a next level above entry.

Sound wise played through the same amp and same settings it was the LP that spoke to me every time I tried.

I though splittable humbuckers would be the way to go. So I settled on an Epiphone Lers Paul Standard Pro.

From experience so far, I find I have not really used the splittable function. On that guitar playing just through my amp without pedals, it doesnā€™t make such a difference.

Pickup position wise, I think all electrics with multiple pickups will provide options. In my case I mostly either use the neck or bridge. Iā€™ve tried to get creative eg both pickups with the bridge in single coil mode. As I say, so far I havenā€™t found that useful, but could be my ability to play and the options I have to shape tone with my amplifier.

Now may be with better quality pickups that are splttable, and more tone shaping options, a split humbucker could sound close to a single coil. But I think it is never going to be the same and may be more of a red-herring for us, who are getting started. I think for most of us learning, seek a sound that you like, with a couple of options from a guitar that you find comfortable to play is probably the way to go.

And P90s are worth giving a listen to, which is something I didnā€™t consider, not knowing what a P90 was at the time.

1 Like

I probably enjoy a lot of music made with strats and they can be fine guitars but I have no connection with them at all.

Like a tele though if I was heading in the fender direction but they are not the most versatile of axes

Experience wins almost every time.

I have the same experience with my PRS S2 single cut. Both in my experience and from comments from others, coil-splitting humbuckers will give you a different tone, but not normally the same as a true single-coil tone.

I have seen suggestions that some of the higher-end PRS pickups have a pretty good split-coil single-coil-ish tone, but most others arenā€™t really that close to the SC sound.

As @DavidP says most electric guitars will give you a fair bit of flexibility. For instance, the bridge and neck pickups on most are very different.

Probably the most flexible common model of electric guitar is the strat, but this wonā€™t normally give you humbucker tones unless you go for a HSS model, which then removes the option for a true single-coil bridge tone.

And itā€™s important to not trade a tone you love for the sake of versatility, IMO.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thanks do you mean this one?

No - that is a newer version ā€¦ though of course is decent and can be bought new. The older model had some superior features and build quality and looks like this )with / without foot pedal).

Perhaps you can find a used model somewhere near you.

Thanks @Majik and @DavidP for your replies. Thanks god Iā€™m not in a hurry to buy an electric, I currently use my sons strat style from Vintage Reissued to make my first steps into the electric world (or should I say rabbit hole? :joy: ) Coming from acoustic, I find the electric much easier to fret, but harder to get a proper sound out of it. So, first step for me is to get used to play the electric too and to get a decent clean sound out of my new amp.
Iā€™m not sure yet, which way to go musically, and have to improve anyway, so Iā€™ll wait with a purchase at least till Iā€™ve finished and consolidated Grade 2. Try to use the time until then to learn more about all the tecnical stuff too.
I tell myself to choose a versatile guitar and concentrate first on developping my skills and not to buy variuos guitars I donā€™t master and get distracted, even as there are so many beautiful guitars and I feel shivers running down my back every time I see one :rofl:.This humbucker / single coil decision confuses me. Mostly when I hear sound samples, I tend to the humbuckers, then I hear David Guilmoreā€™s Strat and Iā€™m fascinated about that too.
Best of both worlds would be great :cowboy_hat_face:
Thanks again for taking your time to answer!

1 Like

@Helen0609 That all sounds good, Andrea

So what would constitute a decent sound?

Until you one of your favourite players using a tele, then you are into a third world :laughing:

I have decided that until I can play well enough and have a musical need for different electric guitars, I will not acquire anymore. Of course there are other good reasons for acquiring more, but for me my LP serves me well.

Luckily you have no immediate need to acquire anything, that is until your sonā€™s is no longer an option.

Also worth remembering that the sound we hear when listening to our favourite players is first and foremost produced by their playing, then the quality of the instrument, pedals, amps, etc. and finally there is the post-recording processing. Hence the suggestion to pick what sounds good to you, that encourages you to play, and take it from there. Eventually the pursuit of tone may lead you to more instruments and gear.

Getting chords ring out clean on electric too, muting strings, etc., applying at least basic playing techniques for electric guitar, not to create a ā€œsound pulpā€. Finding the right power for hitting the strings. Have the impression, there is a lot of sensitivity needed. Iā€™m only on Module 10 now, so a lot to learn about this. Looking forward to get better :sunglasses:

Great chance, that this would be a hollow-body in my case :joy:

Thatā€™s what I feel too. I must deserve it. At least a little bit :sunglasses: I set myself a goal, something to work for.

Thatā€™s what I learned too, meanwhile. I wasnā€™t aware, that there is so much technical effort. For me, itā€™s first getting a solid playing basis, get used to the amp and whatever comes next.
Iā€™m not so much focused on sounding like a specific artist, just to sound good, hope to get an access to the blues world, maybe.
All I know for the moment is, that the decision to start playing, was one of the best ones in my life :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Funnily enough, I think that getting a decent sound from an acoustic involves the same things.

The challenges can just be amplified (pun intended) when you turn the volume up. And if you turn the guitar ampā€™s gain up too loud. The increased gain setting will begin to distort the sound and add length to how long a note will ring. Push that to extremes and the guitar becomes a beast that can begin to growl before you even touch a string.

So initially if you keep the gain down, the volume to similar levels as the acoustic guitar, then you will enjoy the benefits of the lower action and lighter string gauge and be able to develop the left and right hand techniques needed to play both instruments.

And as you progress youā€™ll learn more techniques that allow you to turn up that gain and make the most of the electric.

Thatā€™s why many of us have multiple electric guitars.

This is my collection: a strat style, a Tele, an SG with P90ā€™s, and a PRS with humbuckers.

(And a bass and an acoustic, and a small acoustic and an electric travel guitar not in this photo).

You mention you are intrigued by Gilmoreā€™s strat. Well you should be able.to get similar tones from your Sonā€™s Vintage.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Oh, yes :joy:. I already fumbled around on different settings of my amp. Took the clean bright channel, setted the gain at a very low level, played with the EQ, tried out the different 5 positions of the pickups. Itā€™s getting better. But it takes a lot of time and settings have to be adapted for each song. Pfffffā€¦ can understand why somebody can get completely lost in the guitar universe in a positive sense :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks again, David!

2 Likes

Wow nice. Good pic I had actually a question about hangers . So it is ok to put my guitars on hangers like that and it wonā€™t damage the guitars. :slight_smile:

No, but Iā€™m a rebel.

I kid. Of course, itā€™s fine. Most guitar shops have them on hangers like this.

Cheers,

Keith

If the hangers are secured properly into wall studs or the proper anchors are used its perfectly safe. If your house has drywall and you screw into it with our a proper anchor your guitar will come crashing down to the floor.

Keith. Is your last name Richards with this collection of guitars? Wow impressive!

I know that! And I can really understand the need to have guitars for different applications, if someone reaches a certain niveau. I already have this gear issue with skiing. Different skis are also needed for different conditions or purposes, so we have a ski cellar with at least 10 pairs of skis for 2 persons. I already told my husband, that itā€™s going to be the same with guitars, if I should ever reach a certain level :cowboy_hat_face:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good joke! Maybe DG would get out this tones of the Vintage, Iā€™m so far away from sounding like him :see_no_evil:

1 Like

If I could convince my wife I would buy more and more guitars :slight_smile: Guitars are more important for me than even cars