Silly/ unusual band names - but good music?

@tRONd Hmm… Be patient with me :smiley: I grew up listening to German radio mainstream pop. So much to catch up on and to learn. But nothing better than discovering new music.I will definitely check :smiley:

Speaking of which @roger_holland , mein Heideröslein :rose: :rose: :rose: You advertised them so well that I thought: Oh, Dutch death metal :smiley: YouTube Premium has much of their stuff. So I listened to a random album while I was doing my shopping. And it turns out to be Dutch punk - not bad at all btw :slightly_smiling_face: Still I was left wondering, what does Rogier mean? Then I put on"Noisy Fairytales" while cooking… :laughing: :rofl: :laughing: How on earth did I not know the song about Klaus? :astonished: That must have been a thing in Germany as well :slightly_smiling_face:

@Eddie_09 Hmmm… I guess they must have been eating something else than just cranberries when they came up that first idea :slightly_smiling_face: Love it. Sounds so much more creative than just Cranberries. “… We need a band name… Hey, let’s be fruits. Okay. The Apples. …- no there is Apple… Okay then… The Bananas … - Doesn’t work, there is Bananarama. … The Strawberries?.. No, all those implications. … Well, okay, let’s go with the Cranberries then”

@Majik @judi @TheMadman_tobyjenner @BurnsRhythm @ontime1969 @alexkellyart Thank you so much for commenting, I will check out those bands … Since - remember - the requirement was good music as well. Which is why @Majik I deliberately decided to pass on Micheal Learns To Rock. I think, I remember one of their songs… And: no… Just no :smile:

Some of those band names made laugh with joy - especially Steeleye Span in the context of your post @TheMadman_tobyjenner

So, here it goes… Finally. I was wondering more or less the whole night, what is so funny about Steely Dan. Couldn’t figure it out by myself. Went to their Wikipidea page. Nothing about the name. Well … Continued googling :grin: Ah… “Naked Lunch”, one of the classics, I have never read :innocent: Now, it all makes sense. Good choice… Well, if it fits the music :smile:

5 Likes

Screaming Trees

Where are trees screaming and why? :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :palm_tree:

How about ‘Wally’ or ‘10cc’? Both to me are silly names but both bands came up with some good music.

1 Like

True… :slightly_smiling_face: Confessedly I have never heard of Wally and I think, I know exactly one song from 10cc… So much to learn, so little time :smiley:

What about UB40, though the music is not good IMHO but many would disagree and they are/were employed as musicians.

1 Like

Hi David, the name UB40 was the dole card serial number and designation. As I understand, all the members were on the dole, all broke and in need of some money, which is when and why the band began. :smiley:

2 Likes

Do you like reggae/dub? I haven’t met many people who don’t like/love Food for Thought and One in Ten :sunglasses: :jamaica:

1 Like

I’d be surprised if you didn’t know a number of their songs, but just don’t know it’s by them :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Mal. This I knew, hence the attempted wit at comment about being employed as musicians. I guess it is a good idea to share the derivation, either factual or apocraphyl (thinking 10CC)

I am not well versed in reggae and don’t really know what dub is. To be fair probably based on a couple of specific over played hits, Red Red Wine comes to mind. I didn’t know Food For Thought and do like One In Ten but wouldn’t have attributed it to UB40.

Now I think about it, a pretty daft comment to make.

About all the reggae I have listened to on a regular basis is Bob Marley, the Legend compilation and a few documentaries about him.

Oh well… After enduring the torture of 53 songs (skipped to the next one quite often quite early…) in the “Essential 10CC”, I have to admit that you are entirely correct. it’s more than one… :slightly_smiling_face:

Madness (I’ve not checked previous entries). :+1:

1 Like

No love for Toad the Wet Sprocket? :laughing: I’ve been a huge fan of them since the 90s. More 90s love: Hootie and the Blowfish!

I guess people have to be a bit mad to continue playing ska- sounds for such a long time :slightly_smiling_face:

@ericmfarmer Toad the wet what? :grin: Had to google that word - I confess… - doesn’t make any sense :rofl: I will check…

1 Like