Silly/ unusual band names - but good music?

@tRONd Hmmā€¦ Be patient with me :smiley: I grew up listening to German radio mainstream pop. So much to catch up on and to learn. But nothing better than discovering new music.I will definitely check :smiley:

Speaking of which @roger_holland , mein Heiderƶslein :rose: :rose: :rose: You advertised them so well that I thought: Oh, Dutch death metal :smiley: YouTube Premium has much of their stuff. So I listened to a random album while I was doing my shopping. And it turns out to be Dutch punk - not bad at all btw :slightly_smiling_face: Still I was left wondering, what does Rogier mean? Then I put on"Noisy Fairytales" while cookingā€¦ :laughing: :rofl: :laughing: How on earth did I not know the song about Klaus? :astonished: That must have been a thing in Germany as well :slightly_smiling_face:

@Eddie_09 Hmmmā€¦ I guess they must have been eating something else than just cranberries when they came up that first idea :slightly_smiling_face: Love it. Sounds so much more creative than just Cranberries. ā€œā€¦ We need a band nameā€¦ Hey, letā€™s be fruits. Okay. The Apples. ā€¦- no there is Appleā€¦ Okay thenā€¦ The Bananas ā€¦ - Doesnā€™t work, there is Bananarama. ā€¦ The Strawberries?.. No, all those implications. ā€¦ Well, okay, letā€™s go with the Cranberries thenā€

@Majik @judi @TheMadman_tobyjenner @BurnsRhythm @ontime1969 @alexkellyart Thank you so much for commenting, I will check out those bands ā€¦ Since - remember - the requirement was good music as well. Which is why @Majik I deliberately decided to pass on Micheal Learns To Rock. I think, I remember one of their songsā€¦ And: noā€¦ Just no :smile:

Some of those band names made laugh with joy - especially Steeleye Span in the context of your post @TheMadman_tobyjenner

So, here it goesā€¦ Finally. I was wondering more or less the whole night, what is so funny about Steely Dan. Couldnā€™t figure it out by myself. Went to their Wikipidea page. Nothing about the name. Well ā€¦ Continued googling :grin: Ahā€¦ ā€œNaked Lunchā€, one of the classics, I have never read :innocent: Now, it all makes sense. Good choiceā€¦ Well, if it fits the music :smile:

5 Likes

Screaming Trees

Where are trees screaming and why? :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :palm_tree:

How about ā€˜Wallyā€™ or ā€˜10ccā€™? Both to me are silly names but both bands came up with some good music.

1 Like

Trueā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face: Confessedly I have never heard of Wally and I think, I know exactly one song from 10ccā€¦ So much to learn, so little time :smiley:

What about UB40, though the music is not good IMHO but many would disagree and they are/were employed as musicians.

1 Like

Hi David, the name UB40 was the dole card serial number and designation. As I understand, all the members were on the dole, all broke and in need of some money, which is when and why the band began. :smiley:

2 Likes

Do you like reggae/dub? I havenā€™t met many people who donā€™t like/love Food for Thought and One in Ten :sunglasses: :jamaica:

1 Like

Iā€™d be surprised if you didnā€™t know a number of their songs, but just donā€™t know itā€™s by them :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Mal. This I knew, hence the attempted wit at comment about being employed as musicians. I guess it is a good idea to share the derivation, either factual or apocraphyl (thinking 10CC)

I am not well versed in reggae and donā€™t really know what dub is. To be fair probably based on a couple of specific over played hits, Red Red Wine comes to mind. I didnā€™t know Food For Thought and do like One In Ten but wouldnā€™t have attributed it to UB40.

Now I think about it, a pretty daft comment to make.

About all the reggae I have listened to on a regular basis is Bob Marley, the Legend compilation and a few documentaries about him.

Oh wellā€¦ After enduring the torture of 53 songs (skipped to the next one quite often quite earlyā€¦) in the ā€œEssential 10CCā€, I have to admit that you are entirely correct. itā€™s more than oneā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Madness (Iā€™ve not checked previous entries). :+1:

1 Like

No love for Toad the Wet Sprocket? :laughing: Iā€™ve been a huge fan of them since the 90s. More 90s love: Hootie and the Blowfish!

1 Like

I guess people have to be a bit mad to continue playing ska- sounds for such a long time :slightly_smiling_face:

@ericmfarmer Toad the wet what? :grin: Had to google that word - I confessā€¦ - doesnā€™t make any sense :rofl: I will checkā€¦

1 Like

Reviving this threadā€¦

My vote is for Hootie & the Blowfish!!!

Tod

A blast from the past: Spooky Tooth.

Thats what I thought until ā€œKing Gizzard and the Lizard Wizardā€ burst on to the scene.