Silly/ unusual band names - but good music?

So many bands out there. Some of them have silly, funny, hilarious or unusual names, but yet do make really good music :musical_note::notes::musical_note:

Sexy Zebras from Madrid is such an example. But I guess there are other good bands out there with funny/silly names? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Most bands that arenā€™t peoplesā€™ names fall into this category.
Itā€™s just when you say it enough it doesnā€™t sound that silly any more-
Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Led Zeppelinā€¦
Even the Beatles was a novelty/fun name when they started out.

3 Likes

Alice in chainsā€¦.

1 Like

True. Itā€™s probably that easyā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Butā€¦ is it so then that despite being funny/silly made up that certain band names seem to fit to certain genres better than others? Bit difficult for instance to imagine a band called ā€œIron Maidenā€ play Christian Rock for example? :smiley:

I donā€™t know a single of their songsā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face: Might need to check.

The name gives interesting associations. How does it fit to their music?

De Heideroosjes ā€¦
Cute flower, cute nameā€¦but the music is Metal and most lyrics are ā€¦kuchā€¦well ā€¦BEEPā€¦oopsy :blush:

Not in the slightest.
Itā€™s only because you associate that name with scary pictures. Maiden is often used in the catholic church instead of Jesusā€™ mother, Mary. Iron is usually used as a metaphor for strong.
Maiden, Lady and Butterfly conjure up gentle images, but two of these frighten the life out of me.

2 Likes

Ouch!!,

Start with Nutshell and Down in a holeā€¦

Think you willfind the name fitting, pretty dark stuff

The Cranberries were originally called ā€œthe Cranberry saw usā€. :joy:

4 Likes

Right. Yes, in fact I the band name mainly to that torture device. Iā€™m honestly fascinated by how the music underlying the collocation ā€œIron Maidenā€ influenced and limited my interpretation of it :slightly_smiling_face:

Eddie and the Butterfly are only mildly scary compared to the one in the middle. :scream: Never had any of her albums. :rofl:

4 Likes

I can imagine that, although I have that with only one ā€¦,the thirdā€¦ those airborn worms :laughing:

1 Like

I remember a hit from the late 1960s, ā€œUrban Spacemanā€, from the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

Death Cab for Cutie is another band with a great name (which, apparently, came from a song by the Bonzos).

And, then of course, thereā€™s Steely Danā€¦ :astonished: :rofl:

Edit: I just remembered, thereā€™s a cheesy band thatā€™s popular in Asia called Michael Learns to Rock (personally, having heard their music in many a taxi, I disagree!)

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Acknowledging that they might sound dated now, and that they never hit the big time, a favorite San Francisco band from my youth was Pearl Harbor and the Explosions. Pearl Harbor was the stage name of the lead singer - whose real name was Pearl E. Gates. :smile: I saw them live on December 7, 1979 - Pearl Harbor Day. :rofl:

1 Like

Following on from Majik and around the same time Three Dog Night and ā€œMama Told Me Not To Comeā€

Not to be confused with Steeleye Span and ā€œAll Around My Hatā€

2 Likes

Mud ! What sort of a name is that for a band?
Didnā€™t do em any harm though. And they come up with a song called Tiger Feetā€¦! Ha ha, who hasnā€™t done the Tiger Walk? :rofl:

Goingā€¦ Down in a hole

With that one
:joy:

Mudhoney

Puddle of Mud

My neice when she was very young asked if ā€˜Elbowā€™ chose their name because all the good ones had already been taken :rofl:

3 Likes