Silvia's Learning Log

Hey Silvia !

Finally managed to play catch up on your LL,

Thought the Ana Vidovic piece was well played. As I said elsewhere you would be fine with Acoustic Blues not too dissimilar but maybe more economic on chord fingering, as in only fret what you play, when you play it. So maybe a bit more movement but basically the same.

Loved the end of year pics, you truly do your pupils proud. A great year to be sure. Keep doing what you’re doing !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I checked on Google Maps, it seems to be close to another happy place I heard of called “Rogier” :blush::blush::blush: Thanks …right…

…and too much speed for my slow processing brain :joy: …but I’m improving on this aspect too…one day I think I might want to try some Blues, who knows. Thanks Toby!

1 Like

Thoroughly enjoyed catching up on your LL posts from over the past couple of months, Silvia! :slight_smile: Cool to see the amazing shots of the beautiful scenery where you live :national_park: :heart_eyes: and of course sprinkled with clips of your sumptuous playing :guitar: :star_struck: Such a delight! But this was great to read:

Well done! So cool to hear :clap: :smiley: :hugs:
Cheers :hugs:

1 Like

4 days immersion into Music Education for 3 Workshops 8 hours each :heart_eyes:

…starting today :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::grin::sweat_smile::hugs::smiley::hugs:

…and Chiavari is really a lovely little town, I worked there for 9 years and know it quite well :sailboat::ocean::parasol_on_ground::sunny:

5 Likes

Have fun! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, cool ! Music Education? Do you mean that it’s related to the projects that you are doing at your school ?

Thanks Tony, today it was fun indeed! We played a variety of percussion instruments, some of which I didn’t even know the existence of and I learnt a ton of things!

Not straight away…my project ended about mid-June, but surely these kind of courses which are directed to teachers and educators in general are aimed to continually improve the educational offer…I don’t know what and how and how much I’ll be able to bring to my class and to a future music project with young children…I’m lucky since I can start frin very easy things with Rhythm. Also I was happy we started with a names game (and I had invented a names game too for my project :grin:) and the teacher made an Orchestra out of us singing our names and…guess what? “Sil-via-Sil-via” was the referring Rhythm, the four beats … it was fun :sweat_smile:

Today’s workshop description:
From voice to instrument – ​​Laura Facci

A path in which the voice becomes a “means” to immediately play small percussion instruments (tambourines, maracas, cymbals, claves, triangles, etc.) and plates (metallophones, xylophones, glockenspiel). Starting from the text and melody of a song, ostinatos and rhythmic-melodic sequences will be constructed to be performed on the instrument to accompany the singing line. The result will be the creation of an orchestra which, with simple means, will be able to obtain a great musical effect and offer a place to everyone based on their skills and abilities.

5 Likes

That’s a great course. Enjoy it. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Today’s workshop :blush::

The word becomes music – Nicola Pangia
The experience of the illustrated book between words and music in movement that will make us become familiar with the body, movement and emotions of reading, through the pedagogy of image and imagination, multidimensionality, interdisciplinarity and development of skills and criteria of selection of narrative materials for children aged 3 to 6 with models for creating musical activities.

2 Likes

That sounds very interesting, Silvia! Great opportunity to learn new things you can bring to the kids. Wish you lots of fun!

1 Like

A few pictures from the first workshop which just ended …I know: last time I wrote “next update will be guitar related only!” Music related would fit better :see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

Me…I humbly say…at least I learnt the names of the instruments and I have now even too much input. The activities have been for grownup children mostly (around 10yo) but…I say…I consider myself Rhythmically challenged and the fact that I work with young children is a huge pro for me to start with easy little things and develop them with some creativity so that we can do easy but musical little easy things.
But overall I didn’t do too bad at playing the different instruments and stay in the groove eh :wink::sweat_smile: …also some body percussion!

5 Likes

Sounds like a super interesting course Sylvia. It’ll give you loads of ideas for future lessons with your kids.

1 Like

Fully immersed :diving_mask: Second workhop just ended before lunchtime and it has been just…amazing … we did so much stuff and it has been super fun! First part has been on 3-6 musical activities starting from an illustrated book; then we did a lot more for older children including body percussion and a drum circle and …some Rap Battle too! Super fun!

Last workshop starting now…
Dances from the world – Elisabetta Saluzzo The musical rhythmic aspect and in particular dance are of fundamental importance in the education of each individual. Among the objectives are the consolidation and coordination of basic motor patterns, the education of the musical ear and rhythmic sense, the development of personality, the approach to intercultural values ​​and the acquisition of well-defined techniques and styles.

2 Likes

Oh my god, Silvia, these instruments bring back memories :see_no_evil:.
I went to school in Munich. Carl Orff, a pretty famous composer and music pedagogue from Munic had a big connection to these instruments (they are also known as Orff instruments) and used them for music educational purposes. He had a daughter, which had a certain connection to our school and visited us, so we had to use these instruments a loooot in our music classes. We never came to grips with it, so we had a “musical” chaos. Getting 30 kids rhythmically on track can be … horrible :see_no_evil:. Good luck! Jokes aside, at that time, I didn’t take it for serious… but as a grown up, I saw how one could benefit from these instruments​:blush:.

1 Like

Hi Andrea! Wow…you’ve been taught where it all started! The Orff Method is the main approach which is used by teachers here in Italy and in many of the kindergarten schools of my district we have most of the instruments (apart from the big expensive xilophones etc) …I don’t know about the Primary were they actually would be more useful…sadly we didn’t have them when I was a child.
The Teacher showed us how to develop activities according to the Orff Method, which by the way I only heard of before, but never got to deepen…and she showed us how to use the instruments properly…for example I had no idea how to play a guiro or a bitonal woodblock and I didn’t even know their names!

And I won’t even try :joy:…all the teachers of the three workshops said that for kindergardens if we manage to develop the feel for the pulse, the beat, is already enough :sweat_smile: And this is quite easy :sweat_smile: even if, regarding to the Rhythm aspect, we can do a bit more using verbal language and ostinatos with the 5yo…and I’m already cooking something for them!

2 Likes

Hi Sylvia,

This is the key! We were already at an age older than 10 years, but I unfortunately got zero out of it at that time, I don’t know why. Maybe my inner person wasn’t ready for that at that time.
Have lots of fun to learn about the possibilities and I’m sure you have the dedication and ability to make an adventure out of it for your kids!

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think anybody would be in a class of 30 Andrea! But this is something I happened to think about my ownself regarding to strumming patterns: why I then wasn’t smart enough to understand by myself what that uncaring instructor didn’t explain? Truth is kids need to be looked after and be guided properly.

1 Like

Silvia

A big thank you for sharing this journey with us. The course looks not only comprehensive but extremely interesting, I am sure it will add to your musical palette and factor into your teaching at some point. The photos were super, there were a couple items I’ve discovered in the Guitar Pro percussion menu and used but never had a clue what the actually looked light. Always good to been learning new things.

Thank you.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Toby, I’m glad you found my share interesting :blush:
It has been really super fun…in the end I even… :thinking::open_mouth:…danced :see_no_evil: against any expectation :joy: you know those ancient folk dances from different regions, both Italy and Europe, where people dance together in a circle and hand by hand or where a lady and a gentleman start together and then the partner keeps on changing with the music :dancer:
Now I need some rest but they all shared materials and I already have some idea to develop :nerd_face::sunglasses::nerd_face: …interchangeable glasses :joy:

1 Like

Hallo Silvia,

I have been reading your log and watching your recordings for a while now, and it always looks and reads like you have so much love for the music, and the kids, and just life in general, and I find it incredibly inspiring reading about your adventures. This last one looks like a very intense and cool experience in music as well :sparkles:

I remember we did a lovely little performance on the Orff instruments, and with the recorder, when I was ten. My brother was eight, and his class put on a play and sang, while my class did the music for it. I loved it, but looking back I have a lot of respect for my teachers who coordinated all of it.

:laughing: The dance will get everyone in the end! :wink: :laughing: I love these folk dances, there is such a sense of community and history to them, like you’re suddenly a part of something bigger and older than yourself.

1 Like