Single Take Saturday - Hurt, the JC way

I had planned to peform this at the next OM. Then I thought I’d practice and rehearse to share a typical sound-check/rehearsal video, just a week early. But for various reasons, the drive to practice over the last week or so has deserted me.

And then it turned out my son was away playing DnD (Dungeons & Dragons) and out of the blue I thought why not make a ‘One Take Wednesday’ recording. So I setup up the gear, pressed record, and here it is, warts an’ all.

No sound check … but I think the tinkering done already has paid off and the levels and overall loudness OK. No video check … could have sat back from the camera a little. And for this I made a conscious choice not to worry about looking at the camera, one of those third person observer videos :grin:

As for the performance … why is it so darn hard to strum, sing, and keep track of the beats in a bar when doing all down strums. Maybe I need to setup my own Trio with an overgiving drummer to keep me from doing my own thing :laughing:

That aside, hope you enjoy it.

18 Likes

We are our own worse critics. If it were easy everyone would be doing it and Justin’s would need to accelerate the production of new material. I thought you played very well. Finger picking and strumming technique looked the business. And to top it off I thought that was one of your best vocal performances, it was full of emotion. Well done.

1 Like

Hi David,
I’ve said it before but copy paste is also so impersonal so I’ll just add some new words ,and…especially because we have to miss you for a while to my great sadness :pensive:…and then I also belong in it the beginning the words Hurt…Needle…Pain…well, then I also have to think about next week… :smile: :wink:

But what a great performance this was :sunglasses: :clap: :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet: … wonderfully beautifully played and fantastically sung, … you can also make a deep bow with that laugh at the end, and the applause from our side (from my girl next to me also) coming your way… :clap:Bis Bis Bis :clap:
Thanks and Greetings Rogier En Hermine :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi David, I’m gonna kill a couple of birds with one stone here and wish you well with your op and recovery. Sure what could go wrong? :roll_eyes: :rofl:
I had just read about Tony looking for Jesus in his pickguard, so automatically presumed you were singing about the Messiah on the cross!
Joking aside, your journey continues, and it continues the way you want: steady progress.
your guitar playing is smoother and more expressive than I recall, as is your singing.
Is it perfect? No, I believe there’s still some low-hanging fruit you may wish to taste in the phrasing department, but you seem to have banished all previous pitch problems to the waste basket, but enough of that here. I’d be surprised if we don’t both revisit this song a number of times before we’re through.
You look after yourself and get well soon, friend.
I’ll try not to break it while you’re gone :wink:

1 Like

I really like the JC version of the song and this was a nice smooth performance David. Everything just sounded right and the transition from picking to strumming seemed pretty smooth. Nice job

1 Like

I surely enjoyed it. I think it really sounds cool, you have the perfect voice for this and the way you play the guitar etc. is very stimulating. I’ve put the song (which I heard maybe long time ago) on my to-do list, it’s lovely and I hope one day I can play (maybe sing) it as you are showing us. Tomorrow is a nice day to look up text and chords! Thanks a lot for sharing

1 Like

oh this beauty has been on my “holy house to kick against” list for a long time.
It’s hard for me to sing it without nearly falling apart every time because of reasons everybody would understand right away but takes ages to explain.

Great job @DavidP you captured the spirit and vibe!

1 Like

That was fantastic David . Your voice is beautifully suited to a beautiful song!

1 Like

That was great David, man what a bummer you couldn’t play it on next OM but hey, single take is as close to OM performance as it can be! You played it very well and clearly you had emotional connection with the song, really heartwarming performance. Only comment I can make is that guitar was a bit quiet, would prefer to have it a tad louder and perhaps with bass notes a bit boosted up, but hey that’s a personal choice still haven’t stopped me from enjoying your performance. Great stuff David!

1 Like

Well I listened to this while cooking the braai, shame we only have aussie sausages and not some good borewors…

And what good entertainment it was. Yep a couple of minor stumbles like you mentioned. But who cares, it was really enjoyable to listen to. Love your singing voice.

That post finish outro was also pretty sweet. I may steal it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I appreciate the look, listen, and all the encouraging replies and feedback.

@Socio James, you are right and I was well pleased with the overall result. Such an emotional song and I think the feelings evoked by the memories of that video are ingrained when I play it.

@roger_holland So glad you both enjoyed, Roger. I’m sure the smile was happiness at playing that single take relatively flub-free.

@brianlarsen Thanks for the well wishes, all will go well. I think safe to assume that around the Community JC is always going to be The Man in Black, thou usually best channeled by Tosh.

I can’t lie, I’d love to make progress with new things faster, but slow and steady is how it goes for me, a combination of the time spent and my ability to learn (dare I say the ‘talent’ word). So don’t imagine there’s much in the way of low-hanging fruit, either singing or playing, but that’s fine. I love the learning, playing, performing, and not fussed about perfection and speed of it. That said, I’ll celebrate ‘seem to have banished all previous pitch problems to the waste basket’.

As for the Community, I’m sure it will survive all you bring with or without my eye on things … Richard and Lieven are still here keeping a beady eye on things :smile:

@Rossco01 I first heard the JC version before sampling the Nine Inch Nails original, and have to say it is more to my taste, Jason. Glad it is sounding good to you.

@Narjuna Now that is a compliment to appreciate, Chris, that my rendition has encouraged you to take a look. I have come a long way with my singing, so appreciation of the singing means a lot.

@LievenDV Good to hear I am capturing the spirit and vibe, Lieven. As Justin always says, it needs to feel good … even if this song is not a feel good song. I look forward to the day you share a rendition with us, played in your way.

@Eddie_09 That’s most generous, Eddie, much appreciated.

@adi_mrok I agree with you, listening back, that the guitar could have been a little louder, Adrian. I guess maybe a soundcheck would have been wise but didn’t want it to become an exercise in fiddling. As for the bass notes, I think I need to focus more on strumming those thicker strings. That aside, glad you still felt the connection.

@jkahn Getting all South African here, JK … braai and boerewors … sure Aussie sausages on the barbie was tasty.

So important to not fixate on the stumbles, it is the whole that counts. As I’ve said above, any positive comments about my singing are most gratifying. It’s taken me a while, but am feeling far happier about my singing, and ability to play and sing now.

As the saying goes ‘steal like an artist’ … sure you’ll come up with a cool ending of your own, letting the fingers pick out notes to your fancy.

2 Likes

Nailed it, sir. You filled up the passion bucket on this one, and stayed true to the dynamics of Johnny C’s cover. Excellent use of the thumb strumming technique. It can be a monster when it comes to string buzzing and various rumbles, but you held it at bay. The style brings a warmth that I enjoy most times over the brittle/brassy tone of a pick against steel. This made my Sunday. Great share!

1 Like

Really enjoyed this version, nicely sung. Finger picking to strumming transitions were smooth.

2 Likes

That was great.
Loved the mix, fx, voice guitar. All of it.
Well played and sung. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Hi David.
Well you may think your progress is slow and steady but your system woks. That was terrific. Your vocal was spot on, I would say it’s your best to date. Super guitar work with the mix of thumb pick and strumming.
Well done. I’ve already wished you well for your op but I’ll say it again. All will go well and I’m sure it won’t ‘Hurt’. :smiley:

1 Like

That was a treat to listen to, David, very expressive, and your vocals really shine.

1 Like

Very nice David, really enjoyed this.

Rod.

1 Like

Really enjoyed this. Very haunting. Great mood in the playing and singing.

1 Like

Great job David. I think it is harder to sing and play something with a slow tempo like that one. Great choice of song from Johnny Cash-well done.

1 Like

That was really very good David. I loved the vocals, it suited the mood of the song beautifully.

1 Like