Single Take Saturday ... Whiskey In The Jar - Irish Traditional

@skinnyt Thanks Trevor, appreciate the comment

@TheMadman_tobyjenner would love to play a few MP songs, Toby, but not yet. I’ll DM though don’t have a whole lot I can say.

@CT thanks Clint. It is for me a slow process to learn and memorise songs such that they can just be pulled out. But have to say some strum a dum dum is a lot of fun.

@Eddie_09 thanks, Eddie, that’s most generous feedback. Would love to hear it in a pub in Dublin.

@Richard_close2u steady on Richard, skating on the thin ice of a moderator intervention :laughing:

@sairfingers thanks Gordon. Good to hear the dynamics were coming across well, and that bass note.

@TheOldGuy thanks Scott. Fancy that, glad it was a happy coincidence

@TheCluelessLuthier thanks Mark. Now mentioning whiskey in this context suddenly reminds me of the album ‘Rum Sodomy and the Lash’ by The Pogues

@adi_mrok thanks Adrian. Glad you enjoyed another listen. Now if only I could play every song as well when I step up to record or play an Open Mic :joy:

@nzmetal thanks Jeff. Glad you enjoyed it, appreciate the comment, and a proper Guinness pulled in an Irish pub would certainly go down well while watching folk perform this one

@SgtColon thanks Stefan. I think it is one of the few songs in my repertoire that I can play with some gusto.

@twistor59 thanks, Phil. Live YT videos of Lizzy performing this certainly are a treat. Maybe one day I’ll have a crack at some of those licks and leads.

@LBro thanks LBro. You are right, a song with vox is far more enjoyable for an audience than listening to folk (specifically me) noodle away trying to learn lead and improv play. I think I have the setup down well now and can get a decent mix dialed in before pressing the record button.

@roger_holland thanks Roger. Glad you enjoyed the share.

@SILVIA thanks Silvia. Yup, this is one of the few I have well internalised and I find it a fun song to play and sing.

4 Likes

I suppose as one of the resident Paddies, it’s only right to leave my 2 cents on this one?

First of all. Very accomplished performance :smiley:
in no particular order:
Smooth confident strumming with nice picking of bass notes. I’m jealous.
Lovely sound from the guitar and balance with vox spot on.
I think I detected more ‘performance’ than usual (voice intensity, facial expressions etc.). Good.

I’m curious: what was your source material for learning this song? I’m used to the Thin Lizzy version, and there are a number of variations in your performance, both in lyrics as well as melody.
(et. higher notes in 'Mush a ring dum a doo…").
It’s an old song with many versions. I guess I’m just curious as to how much of it are you emulating and how much is DavidP’s stamp?
Either way, top performance. Keep it on rotation. It’s a handy one to have if you find yourself in a pub.
(ps.I always thought it was 'work for my Daddy-O :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

@brianlarsen
Comments from you always welcome, Brian, irrespective of any Irish connection…the good, the bad, and never ugly.

Glad you enjoyed it. As for performance, nothing done on purpose. As CT would say, pickup and let rip. I think more performance sneaks in as stress and fear of fubars diminishes.

Can’t recall specifics. I think it was one of those sites that serve up lyrics and chords when you Google. Doubt that I cross-checked by listening to an original, which would be Lizzy’s.

Work makes more sense than wack.

And as you well know, melody is a bit random, not thought out and on purpose. I just give it my best shot informed by my own memory. More just let rip and hopefully be reasonably in tune.

Cracking AVOYP David! If only we were sat in a pub in the green land with a pint of the black stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not the first time I’ve heard you perform that David, and still really enjoyable.

Such a good song. I love it. I only knew the Metallica version before I saw your earlier performances of this one. For some reason, the Metallica one makes me think of pirates, and your version bandits in the country. No idea why…

1 Like

@Notter thanks Mark. I think that is a fairly universal sentiment … to be in a pub near the Cork and Kerry mountains with a pint of the black nectar.

@jkahn thanks JK, appreciate a second watch and comment. As for pirates and bandits, who knows. I did enjoy the Metallica version, though Thin Lizzy’s remains my favourite. I suppose this is another case of what we first hear is generally what we like most.

2 Likes