Single Take Saturday ... Whiskey In The Jar - Irish Traditional

I was doing some testing and at the end of all the setup and testing I figured I was warmed up and all was setup so why not … sure the wise wags here will quickly offer a few obvious reasons :rofl:

Never mind, here it is. A song from my memorised repertoire that I generally seem able to play without needing too much re-learning. I have played it at one of the Community OMs, don’t ask me which one, but it was a while ago and no idea if I posted on AVOYP.

I shan’t go into the recording setup unless anybody is interested, suffice to say my usual sort of thing with my Play Acoustic pedal, Focusrite 2i2, and OBS.

19 Likes

Nice one David.
Before it started I was thinking … is he going to play the G → F → Em intro part? And you did! Yeah. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice to hear you play this one again David. Sounding good, so don’t touch anything before next Saturday !

If you get a chance, can you give me a shout on the PAs Guitar Setup. Been struggling for a decent sound using the “electro” acoustics. Can’t quite get it to replicate the “mic’ed up” sound, so opting for the condenser again ala Simple Man, with 'verb on the Xenyx.

Must have a crack at this one day.

:sunglasses:

Great to hear this one again. A great song that’s been covered by various artists. I’ve always been fond of the Dubliner version. You done a great job and definitely one to keep in your set list.

@Richard_close2u
Thanks Richard. I hung out a couple of times with the husband of a work colleague who is well above, way way above, my playgrade and he showed me that. Is the term for that ‘anacrusis’. WHo cares, it sounds good :grin:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Thanks Toby. No, this is not my plan for the OM. I have something else in mind for that but not too stressed about setup now. This was done while I was testing Google Meets as a possible option for OM hosting in the future.

Would you like to chat, a Zoom call, at some point? Otherwise, we can talk in a DM.

@Socio
Thanks James. I also enjoy The Dubliners’ version. I first heard it performed by Thin Lizzy. And at that OM when I played it I found out that Metallica also have performed it.

Liked this song ever since I heard Lizzy do it way back when. Not heard a bad version to date including yours, good job.

2 Likes

Aha ! :thinking: I wasn’t expecting a repeat and knew we’d not be getting a preview but sounds like you may going a little Monty Python ?

No rush on the PA set up, so you can DM when you get some time. I recorded dry runs with each of the acoustics Friday evening using the condenser and Xenyx so sticking with that, as I am happy with the balance. But do have a new desktop mic stand arriving in the week, so things might change. Discussions between me and my daughter about which acoustic on going but I’m pretty settled. :+1:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Well done sir! You do love you some jarred whiskey and it carries through with your performance. It’s so cool that you have these pet songs that bring you joy and confidence. Dig it. Play on playa!

1 Like

Fantastic David. Loved this from start to finish! Always a crowd pleaser this one and you absolutely nailed it with your playing and vocals!
I have heard this a lot in the pubs in Dublin growing up and your version is up there with the very best I have heard! Bravo :clap:!

1 Like

Also known as the pick up bar.

[ Not to be confused with a ‘bar’ where one may go to ‘pick up’ a partner for laa-di-da! :open_mouth: ]

1 Like

That was great David, I enjoyed that. You had ‘light and shade’ in both the vocal and the guitar play. Very effective, as was the emphasis on hitting the low E string notes. A great song that you can pull out on any occasion. Just don’t get your pistols and rapiers mixed up. :grinning:
I always preferred the Thin Lizzy version. The Dubliners’ version was a bit over the top begorrah and bejabbers Irish for me.

1 Like

Thanks! I was thinking about this song earlier today.

1 Like

That sounded great David. Nothing like a good folk song mentioning whiskey. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great job David especially for a single take! Fun to relisten to your rendition of such a great hit, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That was awesome, David! I haven’t seen you perform it previously, so that was an extra special treat for me. Vocals and playing spot on! Great dynamics throughout as well. Top stuff! :star_struck:

Typical for me I heard Metallica’s version first, then Thin Lizzy’s (being my preference of the two), but never had the chance to hear it in an Irish pub, but your cover here definitely gave me those vibes… Now where’s a Guinness when you need one! :four_leaf_clover::beers::yum::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Great to hear this one again David. I really enjoyed it and I thought it had some real gusto to it. The guitar was sounding sweet also.

1 Like

Great stuff David. I’d composed a sentence, was just about to type it when I saw @skinnyt had typed it word for word pretty much! I’ve loved this song ever since I bought the Lizzy single back in the day, and you nailed it.

1 Like

Hi,
Good job… I am personally more into a cover like this than a snoodle. Good stuff all around and nice tone on guitar. Vox was good and you did this up well.

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Hi David,
Nicely played and well sung,…the whole thing was also nice to watch,… :clap: :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Greetings,…

1 Like

That sounded great David! :clap::clap::clap: I could hear it is well internalised and you seem very much at your ease through it all. I love traditional songs :heart_eyes:

1 Like