Sitting position, slight difference that makes a difference?

JK, no doubt I do need to learn more songs. I’m writing down your song suggestions and I WILL put them to practice (that’s me telling myself to do it, basically).

I fully agree, there’s more to songs than just chords, but I guess my expectation was that the little fun techniques will be introduced and then a song will be suggested or featured in a module lesson to practice that technique. At least, that’s what I’ve been looking forward to happening in the lessons, and without going back and looking through every lesson so far, I don’t remember how many are set up that way. It just hasn’t occurred to me much to go find songs on my own because, well, most of the time I don’t know what songs contain what concepts, so even “learning songs” is really very nebulous and its not so easy to go pick them out. The few times I’ve tried it, I found the tuning was a drop tuning or something like that, so I just sort of gave up. BUT I’m not making excuses, I need to do it, no bones about it. I say, it’s immensely helpful when someone gives a song suggestion that’s good for certain techniques- which you’ve just done, and I’m really glad about it. I’ll also go back through each module and see what songs were suggested in the additional reading under the video.

I even asked my very talented guitarist friend one time- how does one learn songs?.. Is looking them up on YT and trying to repeat what you hear how people do it? He said- I don’t know, I guess…when I was learning there were no internet videos to learn by, and I can’t remember how I learned! Haha.

A couple of the rock songs you mentioned were the ones I didn’t attempt in the app, because they looked hard, haha. Oh man. But no excuses, hopefully there’s Justin lessons on them, and I’ll look them up.

On Wish You Were Here, I have tried the hammer ons, yes, but they barely ring out no matter how hard I hit the string. I’ll keep trying though.

On the blues stuff, maybe I should just go ahead and get into it. I was wary of going through the lessons too fast, as well as being not chuffed about having new chords to learn. I’ve been sitting on power chords with some scales practice for about 6 weeks now (practicing simple chord progressions in songs that are much too easy). Along with better songs for the rock stuff, maybe its just time. Thanks for the encouragement there.

For going over all my points and responding with detail- thank you. This is the kind of conversation that motivates me. Specific song suggestions, and insight on how much effort it will take…that’s all really great and super duper helpful, I suspect to a great many of us.

Edit to add- after looking up Justin’s song lessons for what you suggested, most of them are categorized as Gr 3 or 4, so no wonder I haven’t given them a go yet. Not that that should matter, and I think that’s one thing I need to learn- there’s no reason not to go ahead and try them. And if I feel like I need to be in Gr 3 in order to try them, there’s no reason why I shouldn’t move on and get there, I suppose.

2 Likes

That kind of happens in the graded lessons, but I know what you mean, often it’s not specifically called out what songs are useful to learn at what stage. You’ll find mention of a bunch of them in the lesson text of lessons throughout Grade 2, and less so in grade 3, where you have to start to take more of the lead in your song learning yourself. I know what you mean about looking up songs yourself and finding them in alternate tunings, or too hard, etc.

Here’s an example list from grade 2: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/awesome-power-chord-songs-bg-1207

I learn songs from all over the place, but one thing Justin’s lessons often do is have easier and harder ways to play the same song in each lesson. Which is useful depending on what stage you’re at.

The grade categorisation is a bit loose, depending on how you choose to play it. E.g. Californication is Grade 4 but Justin introduces the riff in Grade 2, hmm. Also, Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz can be played with power chords (grade 2 style) or barre chords with a pinky hammer-on (grade 4 style). There are also lessons marked Grade 1 (Black by Pearl Jam) that has a much harder “proper” way to play it with barre chords. You get the idea…

You can always put down a song and try another one if it’s just too hard. I’ve done that plenty of times.

I figured having a list of songs that are somewhat close to your level might help :wink:

If I’ve motivated you to try something new, great, mission accomplished. It sounded a bit like you were doing too much of the grindy stuff and not enough of the fun stuff :smiley:

2 Likes

Just sharing, I am on Grade 2 and have been on the journey for about 8 months now. I feel like I just learned my first two songs all the way through. 1) Knocking on Heavens Door by Bob Dylan. Short and simple but really moving. I found myself playing it over and over again forgetting I was learning how to play guitar. Hallelujia is another one that just grabbed me. Couldn’t get enough of it.

3 Likes

@Tbushell Currently using #1 classical style basically for all the same reasons you identified
Was really trying to get used to #3 which seems to be ‘recommended’ but again, basically for all the same reasons you identified (wrist/hand pain, slouching) I just can’t get into it.
Now I’ve seen the variation with #2 I might try that once I get an strap and some strap locks because I really would like to play the way I see Justin playing but yeah, for now it’s #1 all the way.

Also, Thanks for pointing me to this thread.

Side note, and more relevant to the main topic of this thread. @artax_2 My wife is just a whisker off being 5ft (although she claims exactly 5ft :slight_smile: ) anyway she holds her guitar classical style because it’s comfortable and she can still wear a dress playing. That said, I’ll be showing her that Gabriella Quevedo video also just because it’s nice to have options right :smiley:

Good luck in your journey!

Kind regards,
Dave.

I guess I can’t edit an old post, so replying to it instead…

I call this “pinning” the guitar - like a wrestler pins an opponent to the mat so they can’t move.

Hmmm…maybe this indicates I have a somewhat - um - adversarial - relationship with my instrument! Some days, that’s what it feels like. :slight_smile:

1 Like