SkratchDats Log

Well hello! Some of you probably saw my introduction post. So I’ll spare a few of the details lol! Basically this is the 3rd Time I’ve attempted to learn to play guitar. I’ve never had any in person lessons, only random YouTube “how to play X” videos. This time feels different. I’m really curbing the desire to just read every tab and try to recreate things. I’m learning so much more since February 22nd when I picked up my new amp and plugged in my old guitar than I ever have before, even in high school when I played (if you want to call it that) for several months. The difference has been Justin. I’ve been more regimented. Practicing with intention, noodling a bit of course too. I notice I’m keeping my tuner on and messing around with notes and trying to make scales from the notes. It’s exciting because my fingers hardly hurt anymore and my pointer, middle, and ring have a distinct callous forming meaning I can play for more than just a 10 minute period with little to no pain. Very cool! I’ve finished module 1 and 2. I’m decent with my A to D chord transitions, I even got 70 in my OMD yesterday! I know what you’re thinking, 70?! I didn’t say they sounded good! But right fingers on the right strings for I’d say 90%. I’ll admit I’m struggling with my pointer finger muting the G string on the A chord but otherwise the transitions are pretty good! I feel that I’m doing great minus my E D transition (the chords of course). Where I’m only running about 30-40 on the OMD and maybe only 60% sounding good. I know Justin says to shoot for a minimum of 30. But I don’t want to get overwhelmed. I know if I try to strum along to songs too quickly I get thrown off, and if I attempt to get ahead of myself and alternate strum I completely face-plant. This leads me to think maybe I shouldn’t advance to module 3. I’m actually practicing alternate picking the Peter Gunn theme and even working on a scale (c major I think?) to get more proficient single string picking. I’m feeling pretty good about learning so far and want to move on to module 3, but I don’t want to overwhelm myself. Maybe I need to revisit nitsuj and see how he’s getting along by the end of module two. My new EVH guitar has been delayed another few weeks which I was upset with at first but have come to terms with it. Now I’m thinking of it as an opportunity to learn/practice some more before I bring it home and try to play something that will discourage me. Maybe when it gets here I’ll be more confident with strumming chords/songs or running up and down scales. I did find out that this squier is 20 years old, which I had no idea as I got it second hand. Next year when it turns 21 maybe I’ll crack a beer with it! I’ll try to attach a pic of my current setup. Either way, I’ll keep trying to update the log with my progress. Thanks for reading, suggestions are always welcome!

7 Likes

Hi Sam, great start to your learning log and an even better start to rediscovering guitar for you!

It sounds like you’re getting along well with your chords and changes. I don’t see anything in exploring things alongside the structured learning, the only advice I’ll offer it to not get too distracted as tempting as it might be. Justin’s structure works so well and all those other things you’ve mentioned like picking and scales are there in grades 1 and 2 so not far away at all in the grand scheme of things.

Looks like you’ve got a nice setup already and with a new guitar to come you’re in a great space! Wishing you lots of fun and happy learning!

1 Like

Hi Sam, It sounds like you are doing well with playing the module 2 chords. To get more practice with strumming and have fun, I would play as many songs as you can or like to play in the lesson on Songs for Module 2. Playing along with Justin at the beginning of the song lesson videos is great practice for strumming, but just be aware that Justin also adds more complicated rhythms that may be beyond Grade 1 near the end of some of the videos.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion I’ll try that! I forgot to mention I did subscribe to Justin’s app and it’s quite fun so I’ll keep playing around with that too!

1 Like

Sounds like you are well on your way, Sam. You are wise not to rush. Lay good foundations now and you will develop over time into the guitarist you want to be.

1 Like

My transitions are actually sounding really good today. I have just been practicing strumming and changing chords In between strums. I’m trying to use alternate strumming patterns just to loosen my right wrist up for the future. I’m kind of thinking maybe my guitar is set up poorly (not sure it’s ever been changed from the factory). It sure seems like a ton of space in between the fretboard and the strings once you start down the neck. My D string at the 12th fret sits parallel to the first line of the d’addario logo. Approximately half a centimeter or .197” from the fret board. Does that seem a little high or is it my lack of experience coming into play here. I’ve noticed since today I decided to play around with harmonics just to make fun guitar noises.

Edit: I know that measurement is taken with the pick upside down, it was for a visual reference :slight_smile:

Hi Sam, good you started your learning log. It’s a good place for receiving advice and encouragement as you’re receiving and to go when feeling stuck and forgetful about how much progress has been made since a few posts ago. Not rushing to move to the next module prematurely can pay off later. I cannot help with the measurement of the action of the string.

1 Like

Sam,

I suggest you measure the action of the low and high E strings. Have a look at this lesson for more on string action: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/guitar-action-string-heights-cc-103

Once you’ve measured you can google to find out the recommended action for your guitar type. But 5mm does sound high and setup probably required.

1 Like

Can confirm. This was a major problem. I knocked a few MM off by simply adjusting my tension rod since I realized the strings weren’t too high up by the nut, but the neck was a little bit curved ever so slightly. So I did some tweaking and I’m probably at 2.5mm which is still a bit high according to that video but the guitar seems to be playing much better. Either that or the practicing is paying off!

2 Likes

Possibly both! I had a buzzing issue when I got my guitar, took a while figuring it out but the worst of it was the saddle on the low E string only having one pin touching the bridge, the other screw was just hanging in the breeze.

I revisit the earlier lessons a lot trying to perfect chords mainly. No problem doing that and waiting on the next module till you’re comfortable. I’m still holding off of Module 5 though I’m kind of itching to learn that C chord. Got to improve my Dm OMC alot. (speaking of which, I think you mean OMC not OMD for one minute changes?)

Also, what kind of a guitar is EVH? I’m not up on all the acronyms yet. :slight_smile:

Ahh yes! Being a gun enthusiast as well I refer to some exercises as drills by default. I meant one minute changes but I was abbreviating “one minute drills” lol!

EVH stands for Eddie Van Halen. They are owned by Fender and I’m so excited to get to play on this guitar!

1 Like

Ah, I wondered if it wasn’t actually a typo. So, do you just shoot targets? Big deer hunting area where I live. But drill works, too.

1 Like

I prefer just shooting targets but I also enjoy hunting. I believe talking about playing guitar allows me to be expressive without scaring some people like mentioning hunting and shooting does. I understand it’s hard for some people to comprehend, but to me shooting can be VERY therapeutic. But it’s possible to be artistic and expressive as well as out-doorsy.

1 Like

Hi Sam. Good you started your learning log. It’s a good place to self reflect about your guitar learning and receive encouragement and advice. Justin provides at the end of each module and grade what the student should be able to do at that stage. He also suggests how to consolidate each grade. You can go through the checklists and find what you could be missing and spend some time rounding up those skills. Any skill can be later improved but moving too early can difficult your future advance and you may have to go back to earlier lessons to catch up. From what you’ve posted I would think that spending some more time working on some of the skills you have covered so far could be beneficial to you before moving to Module 3. In early modules is more about being able to do it that doing it error free all the time.

P.S. It looks I had already commented on your post. The idea is still the same :grinning:

1 Like

Ok so strumming clicked today for like the last 15 minutes or so I was practicing. Sort of. It was much better, I was even changing chords in rhythm… except… I noticed something incredibly annoying. It seems my pick wants to rotate all over or just simply fall out from my grip unless I just put the clamp on it, which causes me to tighten everything up and lose that loose strum movement. In my head I would realize the pick is moving then mess up the chord or the strumming pattern. Is this just a learning thing or am I doing something wrong. I am holding it precisely as Justin does in his “how to hold a pick” video. I’m just wondering if I need to be clamping down on it hard. Also I’ve went on and learned A, D, E as well as their minor variants. Working on one minute changes now. I’m killing the Peter Gunn theme, playing seven nation army with power chords, and even learned sunshine of your love by ear after seeing where the first note was and can play it quite well. The stretching exercise is easy down to the 3456 frets. However, I won’t move on any farther until I’m doing really well with chord changes and strumming. Oh, and the new guitar came in and it’s so much better than I expected!!

3 Likes

Hi Sam, nice guitar you got. As with others things with the guitar with practice you should be able to keep control of the pick with less effort. It’s normal if at the beginning it flies away from your hand sometimes. I’ve seen other members recommend playing with the pick, using the strumming hand to manipulate it without playing to be able to reposition it on the go when playing and it is starting to get out of place. I think it also helps that later the strumming or picking gets more accurate and gentle. At the end you should be able to hold it without excessive pressure and even allow some up and down movement of it. Justin mentions somewhere that some picks with a raised center or raised engraving can help. I used one for a while and felt good. Also when my hands are too dry I struggle to keep the pick in place.

1 Like

That’s a lovely looking guitar Sam, congratulation!!

As to your question about holding your pick, I think it’s just going to be a learning thing as you find the right technique that works for you. There’s also a bit of skill to develop in manipulating the pick when it get’s knocked or moves a bit in your hands, it happens to all of us.

Sounds like you’re making really solid progress, good on you!

1 Like