Slow Dancing in a Burning Room (with Looper)

Hi Adi,
Nice job on this. Timing looked tough and I think for the most part you have it down. Nice clean tone, and sounding good on this end. I think the time put in shows and it all came together in a nice cover. I liked you lead part and the tone you got there too! :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work and take good care!
LB

1 Like

That was a hell of an effort and a fantastic job. Plus much harder live version. You should be proud of the progress so far.

As you say, it may not be polished, but I’m certain you will get there one day. :slight_smile: It will be a great song to track your progress.

I can also hear the investment you put into the gear. That Katana sounds very nice. :slight_smile:

One suggestion, so that my post also helps a bit - try adding some more vibrato in the main riff. It’s way more difficult than it looks. :smiley: See what I mean here: John Mayer - Slow Dancing in a Burning Room (Live at the Chapel) - YouTube

Are you using the neck or neck + middle pickups?

1 Like

Thanks Kamil, yes intro and vibrato are definitely a tricky number. I can get a bit of vibrato on string G but really almost impossible on A, need to put some work on that bit!

Only neck pickup for the purpose of this recording. Tried fiddling around but on a budget guitar neck sounded best. I am due to replace all those pickups when times allows so will be interesting to hear the difference in sound :wink: all the best Kamil

1 Like

Thanks LB, few bumps on the road but managed to get through to as much satisfying effect I was able to achieve at my level :wink: all the best

:clap::clap::clap::clap:very very good.

1 Like

This is one of my favourite songs, one far day when i will learn it, i’m coming back to you to remember instead of this one. Very impressive, the one on one lessons have worked more than well

Great Job! I have a similar looper and started trying to put together a version of this song but it never went anywhere. Now I can revisit, using this for inspiration.

1 Like

That was great! I can imagine how much time and effort went into it (not just practicing the guitar, but transcribing, getting tones dialed in, figuring out a plan of attack for the looper/switcher, et cetera). Impressive.

1 Like

Great, this is how you work on your dreamer songs; you go ahead and play the best version of it oyu can play and you learn from it.

You have some sweet lead work in your fingers already and the general flow of this song sounds quite well already. Not to mention your footwork choreo etc and all of these parts in one take! :o

What I can add as feedback is that the first part could use a bit more subtlety in your dynamics, not raking and hitting it too hard but still have a gentle “slur” in your playing.

Great stuff man.
You inspire us to work on that dream song that reminds us of some of the reasons why we started one certain day :smiley:

1 Like

Ron, Alessandro and Dale - many thanks! Glad Dale that I can serve as an inspiration and I am sure with persistence you would be able to learn it one day to similar level I learnt to.

Jason many thanks, yes countless hours, days, weeks! But I am really happy I did, learnt so much by just this one song and still feel excited when I play it, although with a pinch of frustration whenever I do some silly mistakes :grinning:

Lieven thanks man! Will take feedback to heart, you are right it could have been more subtle at the start and get louder with the duration of the song. I will try it out while practicing :slight_smile: I only hope those lead lines will help me when I play around with some impros etc :grinning: all the best

You are one that simply has that ability. Natural talent. Great cognizant abilities. Skills to play at ease. At least it seems like that to me. I so enjoy listening to you and watching you play. Great show!

1 Like

@adi_mrok with time it gets easier, but it’s amazing how simple it looks when John Mayer does it. :smiley: I still struggle a lot with it too.

I find that the riff sounds great on neck+middle single coils too, but yeah, probably depends on each guitar.

1 Like

Pam sorry foegot to reply - thank you for such a kind words! I hope to make some more recordings in the future that will make you happy :blush:

1 Like

Hi Adi. Beautifully played and what a great tone. Very well done!

1 Like

Really superb Adi. Your lead work has really come on in leaps and bounds and there is real confidence moving around the fret board. I know you still want to spend more time on this but even as it stands now it’s excellent. Very inspiring from my perspective as I’m very much near ground zero on solo/lead work and it’s on my list for significant improvement in the new year. Look forward to hearing the final cut.

1 Like

That was superb Adi, I loved it. :smiley: What an achievement, it’s no surprise that you still feel excited to play it. I look forward to seeing future versions :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

1 Like

Great job! You are playing well for 3 years of JG!

1 Like

I’ve said it once and I’ll saying it again. Great job with the song Adi and all that effort really shows through.

Are you happy with your Katana 100?

Peter, Jason, Nancy and Zoltan - many thanks for nice feedback appreciate it!

@SgtColon yes I think for my needs Katana is completely sufficient. Sure it is not a Marshall cab but again you can get all sorts of tone and perhaps not 1 to 1 with original, but pretty darn close :wink:

1 Like