Slow Dancing in a Burning Room (with Looper)

Hello there folks! Hope you are doing well and I would like to invite you to listen to my latest attempt at one of songs I have on my dreamer list! You must be looking at what song I picked and think “this guy is mad”… I am, although there is only one Madman over here :smiling_imp: As this is obviously a guitar forum I will quickly run through my setup and how I approached this song as I think this is very interesting for guitar geeks as me :nerd_face:

So this song cost me a lot of £££ as I upgraded my Katana to MKII 100 and I purchased a looper, as mentioned in my Learning Log. I had 2 effects programmed into my GA-FC footswitch, one for most part of the song and the other for the main solo at the end of the track. Guitar patch for clean sound is courtesy of Mr JustinGuitar who kindly shared it with me after our 1 to 1 session lately where we discussed this song in fine detail (more on that soon in a separate thread). Guitar solo I needed to tweak to match the cover I based my cover on (which is performed by Jamie Morrison who can be found on youtube channel).

As I didn’t have tabs I needed to write them down off the cover I thoroughly enjoyed and which I found by accident while listening to a random guitar playlist over on Spotify. Fell in love in this instantly and was learning it for… past 6 months! Every bloody day (except when I was abroad for 2 weeks).

I realize song is still not super polished, after all it is on my dreamer list, but guys cut me some slack here! Otherwise after almost 3 years with JG I will only know how to play 1 song :joy: I will also put a picture of how I tabbed the song, it is 90% accurate and some stuff I figured out while playing and didn’t bother in updating small little bits which are now engraved in my brain forever I reckon :rofl: Oh and on a video editing - not much done there, but what I did is I left some perhaps you think random moments around where my phone’s mic is bleeding into the track. That was on purpose for those interested to know how I push the footswitch. The sequence was as follows:

1. Recording BT for 1st solo while playing - first push is to start recording
  2. Finish recording for 1st solo and play straight away
  3. Change Track 1 to Track 2 on my looper which was prerecorded BT for main solo
  4. Push FX pedal to change the effect
  5. Push play on looper
  6. (I just realized I forgot to put two clicks in! :angry: ) 2 clicks - one to record Dub over main solo BT and second to stop the Dub
  7. Stop the BT
  8. Change to clean tone

Enough is enough, enjoy and let me know what you think. As David likes to say - the good, the bad, but perhaps leave off the ugly :smiley: All the best my fellow companions in this fascinating journey!

20 Likes

Really enjoyed finding this on YouTube Adi, whilst the Community was off air. Impressive playing and impressive dedication to keep working and improving the song bit by bit. Although not the end result (your words), its sounding pretty good right now. Well done.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

First recording I’ve watched since the community came back on air and what a fantastic recording to watch and listen to mate. That was really impressive playing and looks like your having great fun with your new toys.

1 Like

Hi Adrian,
Not much response to your song after 2 days,… :joy: :joy: :rofl:
You have overloaded the forum …with your great performance, :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :man_bowing: :clap: :clap: :bouquet: :man_bowing: :sunglasses:…super nice that you can concentrate/commit to a song for so long,…that is definitely an important quality, for me it stops after a week the same song most of the time,…but there will come a time,…
Again great playing :sunglasses: :clap: :clap:
Greetings,…

1 Like

This is absolutely fantastic! A real pleasure to listen to and insanely technically impressive too.

1 Like

Well, you lost me in your pre-amble explanations.
Then you lost me in the technicality of your playing.
What I have not lost is my ability to recognise impressive guitar skills when I see/hear them.
Add in all the newly acquired whistles & bells of your toys and you have an impressive showcase going on.
Vibes my friend :sunglasses:

1 Like

Coincidentally, just watching Sped Spedding’s vid where he uses this song to demo a very cool looking app How to REMOVE the GUITAR from ANY SONG - YouTube

Well done Adi your guitar skills have really come alive in the last year great tone as well. :beers:
Watch out @Kasper the kid is coming for you. :wink:

3 Likes

This is super impressive!

I’m just getting familiar with people here, but this is some pretty advanced/technical playing. It certainly shows that you are putting time in and trying to perfect this song.

Well done.

1 Like

That was amazing performance! :clap: Persistence, persistence, … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Adi, that‘s absolutely fabulous :smiley::clap::+1:. Very impressive playing and producing skills - on a level, I‘m not even thinking of reaching it within my next 3 lives.
Simply WOW :star_struck:.

1 Like

I watched this shortly after you posted it… and as I was going to type a comment the community went offline! Hence the quick YouTube comment. Who knew it would be offline for 2 days…

This is seriously impressive stuff Adrian. Such a challenging song. You mentioned it’s not super polished, and yeah, I guess it’s not album quality. But wow, what a complex, difficult song and very well played. The speed you’ve built and the feel you’re playing with is great. A great reward for the hours of dedication.

1 Like

Outstanding Adrian. Time and effort well spent as that was absolutely amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this!!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great job! Ive been trying this for the last 9 months and you are way ahead. Will need to take a look at the tabs you’ve kindly shared as I really struggle to work some of the improv out, you already helped me on some of the improv in the songs topic. Well done and thanks for sharing.

When you add percussion how are you doing it? Sounds sharper than the way I do it and better, are you hitting with your nails?

You have inspired me to try much harder!

1 Like

Yeah, that was really great Adi… harmonized solo and all! Love it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! That is an accomplishment!

1 Like

Adi, that was terrific. What a lot of work you’ve put into this project and so many different skills on display in that recording. Fabulous.

You’re clearly using all your technology to help, but the bottom line is your ever increasing skill at playing guitar. Well done.

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner many thanks for giving it a go before Community premiere (well after but it was down so probably no one except JK watched it before tango down :D). Not the end result for sure but definitely parking the bus for now before I loose my mind :smiley:

@Socio @roger_holland thanks for such a nice words! I did have some thoughts I might have overloaded the forum, but more like because of picture uploaded rather than because of my play :smiley:

@twistor59 @brianlarsen thank you guys!

@stitch many thanks Stitch, I think this is a first AVOYP you commented on from my corner so that must mean I did something right! Haha and @Kasper (which I also thanks not only for nice comments but for being such an inspiration and aspiration as well) is definitely safe for many years to come :smiley:

3 Likes

@Traveler @TheCluelessLuthier @NicoleKKB Many thanks for enjoying the performance, warms my heart! :slight_smile:

@jkahn so perhaps not my upload but your comments overloaded the forum? :smiley: thanks for nice comment, as you say lots of hours put into it but I am quite happy with a result :slight_smile:

@Eddie_09 thanks man really glad you liked it!

@EndlessRepetition Leon many thanks for the listen! I sort of knew you might find it useful and glad you did, if you have any questions just fire them away either here for others to read or on PM.

And to answer your question - just following Justin’s advise on percussive hits that’s all. My word of advice is to do it closer to the fretboard as string has a lot smaller distance to kill in order to hit against something. I did probably 3 songs now with percussive hits so it gets easier with more time spent on it.

@Jamolay @sairfingers thank you both for nice comments! Yep lots of technology around but in all honesty it wasn’t too complicated tech wise, I see some more complex stuff happening on the forum elsewhere. This one except setting up a tone and having a looper didn’t have much tech things to do :wink: all the best.

3 Likes

Haha, certainly could have been! It was while I was whacking the reply button and the text box to reply didn’t come up that the forum went down… the straw that broke the camel’s back :rofl:.

1 Like