Small Nits On Practice Page

Apologies couldnā€™t help it. Love the site and the software engineer in me has to point out the tiniest issues for some reason. Itā€™s a habitā€¦ been trying to kick.

There are a couple of small typos at the end of the practice about page.

Stats

Our stats are basic for now but weā€™re working on more fun things for this area - right now itā€™ll rack time spent practising and also the stats for items (chord changes or metronome speeds, that kind of thing).

Donā€™t punt me - just joined :wink:

Welcome to the forum Chris not nit picky at all. Thatā€™s how things get fixed.
Iā€™ll alert the wizard behind the curtain. @Richard_close2u

If you live in the UK practising is spelt correctly. :smiley:

4 Likes

And ā€œspeltā€ is also spelled correctly for a Brit. :grin:

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the old saying? America and England: two people separated by a common language!

2 Likes

America and the UK if you donā€™t mind. We also have a saying. Scotland and England two countriesā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦:smiley:

2 Likes

When Iā€™ve visited Scotland, I often struggled to understand people. One Scot told me ā€œdonā€™t feel bad; we donā€™t speak the language so much as we chew it up and spit it out!ā€ Another told me (after an elderly gentleman spoke to me and I hadnā€™t understood a word he said) ā€œeven we sometimes have to have a translator for some of the older brothers!ā€

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never been to America but have given up, on many occasions, watching an American film/series on TV due to an inability to understand any of the dialogue. :joy:

4 Likes

I had no idea. Cheers!

I was born and lived on and off in Scotland through my early years. I always blame my lose grip on the English language as English not being my first language ;-).

Thanks for the info though. Learn something every day.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never been to America but have given up, on many occasions, watching an American film/series on TV due to an inability to understand any of the dialogue.

Husband and I have never been to England and often times he turns on the closed captioning to figure out what is being said. I donā€™t have as bad a problem, probably because I grew up watching reruns of Doctor Who and Monty Python on Public television!

Dr Who and Monty Python are fairly mellow accents.

Accents, and colloquialisms are something I find quite interesting, as lots of local dialects are dying out.

I grew up around lots of different accents as the parents had a caravan site, so there are very few English speaking accents I donā€™t understand.
Hardest ones are things like proper Doric/Aberdonian, or there are pockets in England with very strong accents (if anybody has watched Clarksonā€™s farm, the local helper is a good example of a very strong local accent/dialect).

I personally have quite a strong accent, so other people often struggle to understand me. I just need to remember to talk a bit slower and clearer when amongst non-locals.

1 Like

On one of my Scotland trips, a brother who was from Centre-City Edinburgh was talking to me as he was talking me to a lodge meeting. I had to say ā€œIā€™m sorry, I canā€™t understand you and I feel really bad about it.ā€ His response: ā€œOch, dinnae!ā€ :rofl:

1 Like

I keep the subtitles on permanently. Itā€™s a habit I got into when I was married.