Small samples for comparison

Hello people!
Below is a link with three small samples of music I have recorded.
I would like you to ignore any technical mistakes and the difference in tempo, I only care about the sound quality, so if you have the time and will, I would like you to rank the three samples based on sound quality and offer your opinion in terms of which one sounds more balanced, more highs, more lows and your preference. Listen with headphones preferably. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NSb_vjdSiQ3CzN8crfH575DteZ7QLUF_?usp=sharing

Gotta go with 3. Honestly though, to my untrained ears, nearly identical. Beautiful sound all 3.

1 Like

Liked 1 and 2 over 3
Anything between 1 and 2 seems nice to me

1 Like

I think 2 is most balanced but it should be contextual and fitting to the song and mood. Beautiful melody btw :).

1 Like

I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between 1 and 2, but both were better than 3

1 Like

Couldn’t tell the difference between 1 and 2, 3 sound slightly better.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time!

1 Like

Thanks for giving your opinion!

1 Like

Thanks for commenting!

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time! I wish I could take the credit for the melody though :slight_smile:
It’s from a greek song named Paraklisi (=request) from Alkinoos Ioannides.

1 Like

I preferred number 2. I thought it had an all round better sound.

1 Like

@neophytosdm

I am not a sound engineer but I think I have pretty good ears, so thanks for the chance to test my ears.

I agree that mic1 and mic2 are very similar in tone quality. It sounds to me that mic3 was recorded with the mic at least a foot further away (or with a less sensitive mic) as you lose all the of the low level high frequency audio (and harmonic richness of tone).

I did an A/B several times with mic1 and mic2 through headphones and I think that I prefer mic1. I think that mic2 may be recorded closer to the bridge because I heard a little more of the string sliding noises and there was a slight high frequency “edge” or buzz to the picked notes.

Overall I think that mic1 had the best balance between high and low tones.

I can appreciate how some might prefer mic2 as it may have been recorded closer to the strings (or a more sensitive condenser mike) and in addition to slightly more string sliding noises, it also has more harmonic richness and so might be more interesting to some.

Great playing example and much beyond my abilities at this point. If these were recorded separately you have developed excellent consistency in your playing as I couldn’t detect any mistakes.

1 Like

Αppreciate the response. (Mic 3 is actually my android phone, but don’t tell anyone :Ρ )

1 Like