So here we are again

I’ve got really bad withdrawal symptoms…………… :joy::joy::joy:

It’s so good to have the forum back :hugs:.
I thought, it were only my own computer problem and was afraid, I’m missing loads of posts. Very reassuring to know that it was a general breakdown :speak_no_evil::sweat_smile:.
Thanks to the team for doing a great job and bringing the forum back to life :+1:.

1 Like

I’d also like to know. My guess though, is database full / out of space. The symptoms seem to be the same. Would be very curious as to the actual reason.

I was using the community when it went offline and I could browse, but then replies stopped working, then it turned into a HTTP 500 (server error).

Discourse (the platform) has a default install in a single docker image, including database, redis, web, etc. It can be split out into multiple docker images for scalability and there is some capability to do a high availability setup but it’s a bit complicated.

I hope they found a good use for the old server

3 Likes

I initially thought that too, but I’m guessing, given the length of time, it may have been something more curly.
Been out of the IT game for some years now, so not up to speed with alot of the technical aspects of some modern systems/architecture. I’m just being nosey.
Reminds me of a ‘funny’ incident in the late 90’s when I worked for a large regional ISP in NSW. Mayhem one morning, with customer support lines going crazy, due to no access. People running around everywhere, scratching their heads, trying to locate the problem. The upshot? A tradie had been in overnight to install some new server cabinets. He accessed a power source for his little vacuum cleaner to clean up after the job, and had inadvertently dislodged another connection on the unit. Unfortunately that fed straight into our authentication server. As luck would have it, backup systems were taken offline just 12 hours before, awaiting a piece of hardware later that day. Fun times.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Hi everyone, good to be back to the forum again. I first thought the problem was on my side, but I realised soon, that this might be a general problem.
Funny to see, that I was really concerned about it after only 24h. My coffee brakes were a little “empty” without that little quick glance on the forum site. Suddenly, I realised how much I would miss the support and exchange.
I appreciated the responses of the JG team very much, who kindly answered to my messages within 24h. Thanks for that! Glad to be back! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I thought too. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

I hope we all took the opportunity to actually practice rather than procrastinate on here during the hiatus! :wink::joy:

Good to be back :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, wrote a new song “Where’s my Community Gone” :rofl:

Woke up this morning
the JGC was off the air

Woke up this morning
the JGC was off the air

That damn egg timer keeps on spinning
and I’m pullin out ma hair

:sunglasses:

9 Likes

My life is just so empty
I’m feelin’ oh so blue
Justin and my other pals
Where the #### are you.

10 Likes

Nice one Gordon, I wonder how many verses we can milk out of this before @Kasper and @adi_mrok launch a disk low solo :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Just looking for an excuse to nerd it up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I often use the JGC on my phone as a time killer rather than facebook/reddit/reading the news for the 100th time. Was a bit lost with it down!

5 Likes

We all felt lost & wore a frown
when we found JGC was down
try differing ways to make it work
New browser check router no
we all felt lost when JGC was down

7 Likes

or a haiku:

502 Error
Rogier still making contact.
Cold turkey. Send help

3 Likes

This reminds me of
A Denis Leary sketch
with a naughty word

Coffee anyone :coffee:

2 Likes

Man you can’t even imagine how much work I have done this week at my job because Community was down! :laughing: I reckon I won’t have much to do until Christmas :laughing:

7 Likes

Like @Malz I checked my router
I pulled out a plug or two
Now the house is bloody freezing
The heating’s buggered too.

I think about my younger days
When things worked with a switch
You turned things on, you turned things off
There never was a hitch.

I’ve spent an hour in the loft
Messing with my Hive
My wife is not too pleased with me
At least I’m still alive.

It’s all sorted now
The house is warm
Things are on the up and up
The only thing that’s wrong right now
Is Scotland’s not in the World Cup.

7 Likes

I had to resort to reading news…I won’t make that mistake again!

Glad everyone is back! Even the short break helps one appreciate this small supportive and fun corner of our lives. Thanks again to all the great forum
Members, Moderators, Justin and his team!

Some nice lyrics coming about! Turning lemons into lemonade!

4 Likes

Err… He hasn’t posted since the ‘incident’ :thinking:
Do we have a man overboard situation?
If we had his coordinates, we could send a St. Bernhard…

2 Likes