So... I had another gig

I played in a cafeteria for 5 employees, two dogs and a couple of accidental visitors.
Here is a little taste of the action.

If anyone wants to see the whole set, misrakes and all, - message me.
Sorry for the sound quality.

23 Likes

2 Likes

Good job :slight_smile: That looks like a complicated piece that you master really well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Terrific!!

1 Like

Well done

1 Like

Outstanding!

1 Like

Hey Alexey,
Another very impressive technical display up and down the fretboard :sunglasses:
I see you have Mr. Emmanuel’s endorsement on your guitar (me too!) as you pay your musical tribute to him.
You’ve mentioned playing gigs a couple of times. I wonder do you emulate Tommy with his entertainment as well?
For me the important difference between a live gig and background music is the interaction. Even if you’re not singing, the patter between songs with plenty of humour will draw the audience in. Tommy does this really well.
Lucky bar staff :wink:

3 Likes

Great playing, and an attentive audience by the looks of it :dog: Hope you enjoyed yourself :+1:

1 Like

@math07 @franzek @jkahn @mathsjunky @Gonetoearth Thank you all :slight_smile:

@brianlarsen Hey Brian,
You can’t copy Tommy’s performance. I mean, nobody can.
Two full shows that I played lately were both in restaurants, where nobody cared what was going on on stage. At the last gig the owner got excited when I moved to nylon strings guitar with mellow jazzy repertoire - this was what he was looking for.
When I get to play in front of an audience that came to listen - I talk and joke, and I might use some Tommy’s jokes, or Frank Vignola’s, or Martin Taylor’s, or Joe Robinson’s… I also tend to declare their copy rights, he-he…

Anyway, I agree with you that performance should be entertaining, but I’m not at the point where I could say - the playing is solid, let’s add some standup comedy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Alexey, that looked really complicated. Very nicely done.

1 Like

It must not be an easy task of finding the right repertoire to reach your audience depending on the place of the gig and the folks.

My favorite video on your YouTube is what a wonderful world with your Ibanez. It’s probably less technical than Tommy Emmanuel originals, but it’s a chord melody arrangement of a song that I already know and like. So, it would be easier to catch my attention at the restaurant.

This is true for any venue. People prefer songs they know and love. Even if you are Aerosmith, nobody wants to listen to your new songs in concert :man_shrugging:

1 Like

On a different subject, have you been formally classical guitar trained since a young age? I’d be surprised if you reach that fingerstyle level watching youtube videos and being 100% self-trained.

Sure. I started with piano at 6 and guitar at 12 years old. Both classical and formal. 7 years of piano, 5 years of guitar, 2 years overlap.

And thank you for watching my videos :slight_smile:
I like this version better then the Ibanez one:

4 Likes

BTW, I am a member of Joe Robinson’s Invisible Technique community, and there are quite a few really good self-taught players, playing finger style, including TE’s stuff, really well.

1 Like

Thats was a really cool jam.

1 Like

Thats some impressive playing!

1 Like

It’s a great version too. Well done, nice playing :+1: :slight_smile: :clap:

1 Like