So I toured a recording studio today…

And it was really cool :grin:

So back in January of this year @DDye bought me a gift- one song professionally recorded and mixed at a local music studio. Portland is a pretty artsy city and there are quite a few studios around.

Since January, my band DyeV has finished forming and we have several songs written. I decided that I wanted to use my gift to have DyeV record our first song together. The first step in that process was going to actually see the studio and get any questions we had about the process answered. Four of the five of us went on the tour today. I didn’t really know what to expect, but I was really happy with what I saw/heard there.

We played a recording of the song we plan on doing for the studio owner and he picked up on the 90s garage band/grunge vibes instantly. He had some cool ideas for how we can really play up and with that sound.

All that’s left for us to do is pick a date to go back and record! Although, it will be easier said than done working with 5 people’s schedules :laughing: It will be a full 8 hour day for the one song. I’m excited to hear what our final product ends up sounding like :grin:

Some pictures below for those who are interested:

27 Likes

That does sound and look very cool! 8 hours for 1 song, wow!!

1 Like

That is soooo damn cool. What great idea. I can’t wait to hear the finished product, these places are amazing. Many years ago I had the opportunity to do a vocal recording in a small professional environment, its a buzzz that’s for sure.

1 Like

Hi Jenny,
That looks and sound amazing and a lot lot lot of fun :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Greetings

1 Like

Jenny
Looks a quite a bit different to your usual down stairs room!!!
Looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Michael

1 Like

Wow Jenn! That is super cool and exciting! :smiley:
Sounds like it’s going to be so much fun for you guys!! The studio looks so flash too
Can’t wait to hear the result :sunglasses: :star_struck:

1 Like

Oooo COOLIO!!!
What fun, I bet you can’t wait to get back there and get the deed done :laughing: I know that I would be champing at the bit :rofl:
Can’t wait to hear the results!:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I like this guy… sounds as though you got the right studio :sunglasses::+1: Nice work @DDye :wink:
Can’t wait to hear the fruits of the actual recording session! Super cool!! :metal::confounded:
The big question though is… what song??? Decisions, decisions! Good to have choices though :smiley::+1:
Thanks for sharing! :hugs:

2 Likes

Sounds like am amazing experience which is only going to get better! Good luck with recording. Looking forward to hear the final mix… Actually what would be extremely cool is to be able to hear both a rough mix and the final one to hear the difference and how a good mix can elevate the song. So jealous :slight_smile:

1 Like

COOL!!! :star_struck: :partying_face: Wishing you the absolut best on your further journey. Best thoughts from here :sunglasses: :heart: :pray:

1 Like

That so cool, Jenn and Dan! :star_struck: :smiley:

This will be an amazing and fun experience for DyeV for sure and I can wait to hear the outcome of that studio day! Great stuff. :metal: :fire: :metal:

2 Likes

What a cool gift & a fun project!!!

I’ll add my vote for a “before” & “after” mix post!

Have loads of fun recording together… this is really something to look forward to for us here in the Community!!!
Good luck!!!

Tod

3 Likes

@Mari63 @CD02 @roger_holland @Avalon426 @kimlodrodawa @Lisa_S

Thank you all :grin: Will definitely share the final results with everyone :+1:

3 Likes

We definitely are! :laughing: Everyone basically wanted to go back right then and get started. It’s going to be such a cool experience for us I think!

You have inside intel, lol :wink: It was really hard to choose! I waffled a lot about it because my personal choice may have not been the full groups first choice, but I think I made the right call. I think the one we chose will really benefit from a professional mix :grin:

Yes, we are wanting to hear this as well! We have a very rough recording of us playing the song live and it will be really interesting to compare it to the completed song

I’m so happy people are looking forward to hearing the completed song. I’ll be excited to share it for sure! We may even be able to get some video from the studio. During the tour, they told us that some groups have even brought in videographers to record the process :scream_cat:

6 Likes

I guess that is one of the benefits for working with the Pros. Drawing on their experinece to enhance and develop you own material.

Enjoyed the write up Jenn and looking forward to the fruits of the visit. Top man Dan @DDye what a super gift. :+1:

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Jen, Dan and DyeV you definitely are going to take the next step ahead with this new experience, aren’t you? What a cool thing to do, I’m sure the whole process will level up your whole performing a lot! So sad you are an ocean and a whole continent away, otherwise I would transfom myself into a very small mouse and try to get a look at it. I wish you all lots of fun and I’m sure, you’ll get a lot out of it. I’m very curious about the before/after comparison too!

5 Likes

Sounds like you had a great time and surely it’s only built your excitement for going and recording your song.

The studio looked cool and I hope you get to do it sooner rather than later.

I’m also looking forward to hearing your song.

2 Likes

Interesting and exciting, I look forward to hearing the final result. If you did it in less than 8 hours, would they let you record another song?

2 Likes

It’s possible! They knew we were first timers, so they dedicated the full day to the one song for us. They did say that they have had people book 8 hour days and try to record a full album in that window :laughing: They didn’t recommend doing that :wink:

1 Like

I would love to be able to have you and everyone else there with me! :laughing: :wink:

3 Likes