Socio - November 2022 - Writing To Reach You & Lost (Anouk)

First fingerstyle song I’ve recorded and I literally got lost and messed up the lyrics which threw me off but wanted to keep going through the mistakes. I thought about recording it again but decided to put it to bed for the time being as got other songs to learn and will revisit later on. https://youtu.be/9-FPkZuTj2g As always feedback is appreciated.

13 Likes

I love it! I have never heard that song before, but you look like a natural finger picker! I aspire to incorporate more finger picking. Excellent job :+1:

1 Like

sounding very good, I mostly play fingerstyle as well, nice slow cadence.

1 Like

Hi James,…
Well, where do I even start, :smiling_imp: :smirk:…Finally, it shouldn’t have taken that long,…you probably know what I mean :blush:… and I’ve been brooding for 4 minutes how to make some jokes ,…but I’ll leave that to @brianlarsen for now after his comment when it was about this a while ago :wink: :joy:,I’m sure he won’t do it for now either :grin:…but you probably thought "I’ll post my first video in full countenance if he can’t see properly :computer: :guide_dog: for 2(?) weeks after his cataract surgery… …
But James,…thanks it is good :sunglasses:

And great fingerstyle song and wonderfully played :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet: ,from this one and only Dutch rock b*tch :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

@Traveler
Thanks for the listen and feedback Travis. It’s a song I’ve only come to know myself and found it to be a great song to learn when just getting started in fingerstyle.

@tony
Thanks for the listen and feedback Tony. It’s much appreciated. I know you’ve been finger picking for quite some time so good to hear that it’s sounding good from you.

@roger_holland
Thanks for the listen and feedback Rogier. I figured I would get two posts out before Brian told me politely to go back to the way I done them before. Glad to hear my cover of Anouk went down well with you. It was a great song to learn.

3 Likes

@Socio Hi James , I actually know this song from my time living in The Netherlands. You played it really well. I actually learned this early on in my playing about 5 years ago and then it got “Lost” :grinning: along my journey. I don’t have any playing critique to share as I think you played it really well, probably a lot better than I was doing back when I was paying it.

1 Like

Hi James, that was really enjoyable :blush:. Finger picking while singing is so difficult - a pretty hard brain workout. And you’ve sung it so soulful - it was a real pleasure listening to it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

1 Like

Love it James. I spent 9 years living in the Netherlands :netherlands: where I got into Anouks music. This is one of her great songs. You did an incredible job with this! :sunglasses:

1 Like

@eric.lennon
Hi Eric, thanks for listen and feedback. It’s much appreciated. Well I’ve seen you play so I’m quite happy to follow in your footsteps. Hopefully, I’ll be half as good as you in 5 years time.

@NicoleKKB
Hi Nicole, thanks for the listen and feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed it. Yes, finger picking while singing is quite a challenging workout but an enjoyable workout.

@Eddie_09
Hey Eddie, thanks for the listen and feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed it mate. It was your Anouk cover that inspired me to give this one ago when I started to work on learning to play fingerstyle.

2 Likes

Really nice James, well played throughout, clean picking pattern and moving with the changes nicely, I have found chord changes much more challenging playing fingerstyle, even the odd lapse in timing can have a big impact.

You’ve played that with the acoustic plugged in right? I’ve found that to be particularly unforgiving if there’s a slight string buzz which seemed to happen a couple of times in the recording there. Would be interesting to give it a whirl using the scarlett mic positioned lower to catch both the guitar aux naturelle and vocals and get the true warm tone out of the guitar.

Bravo! :clap: :clap:

1 Like

This new/improved vision is a mixed blessing :thinking:
I seem to have lost my colour vision, but how cool is it to finally be able to see the whole picture?
(I’ve just watched all your recent uploads, but will only comment here)

You’ve been a busy :honeybee:, James, and my- have you spent your time well!
This is outrageous for just one year in (I said that recently. Was it to someone else or am I going senile? :roll_eyes:)
Jokes aside, apart from the satisfaction of being able to view the performer, the B&W video is stunning. The lighting is superb and looks like a professional job (fancy intros an’ all). Even your clothes and goggles match.
Moving beyond the striking visuals, that’s some solid playing right there. In the groove. Steady picking, strumming and vocals to boot. Guitar/vox balance on point.
What’s not to like?
For me the standout feature was the promise of the performer that’s inside you. Even though you’re mainly concentrating on the chord/lyric sheets (I presume), there are facial expressions matching the music. Be aware of, and nurture that aspect of your performance. (@Lieven once remarked that it’s hard to over-exaggerate while performing! I think he’s right)
I’ve been working on a bit of fingerpicking on a song, and I just don’t have the stamina yet. Must get back to it.
Love me a bit of Travis, some great songs.
You can pick better material than the Gallagher brothers (Haha, I say that to everyone. I know it’s probably my deficiency :roll_eyes:).
Why are you using a capo for that? The two octaves you sang in were either too high or too low. Take it off and have a go. Move it up one or two frets at a time till you hit your comfort zone.

On the old forum there’d be barrel loads of vibes winging their way to you :sunglasses:
You look young enough to actually go out and get a career if you keep it up.
Remember the little people, if you do…

2 Likes

Hi James, I enjoyed the song a lot even if I didn’t know it. You’re doing really well indeed, the fingerpicking was so well automated that you could sing with feeling. Bravo! :blush::blush::blush:

I think this a very good thing to do while playing…maybe a skill itself to develop for me…Btw, I didn’t notice the mistakes!

1 Like

James it is nice to finally see your face! :grinning: I hope this is a first step to getting yourself through the gates into open mic area :grinning: well done my friend, your solid performance was really good and I enjoyed it a lot. Bit more polishing up to do but definitely not too early for sharing the progress :slight_smile: great stuff and all the best!

1 Like

Beautiful work. Looks like you’re a natural fingerstyler - I didn’t know the song, so I didn’t spot any mistakes, I was too busy listening to it.

Actually I just listened to it again - do you mean the part where the vocals stopped? You kept playing the accompaniment like a pro and it didn’t really pop out as a mistake at all.

1 Like

Not a song I know James but that was really good. Lovely fingerstyle play, steady and mainly clean. You’ve clearly been working hard on it. Good vocal too. It’s not easy to sing and pick at the same time.
Good to finally see what you look like too. :smiley:

1 Like

as @brianlarsen said

you look young enough to actually go out and get a career if you keep it up.
Remember the little people, if you do…

I am pretty sure I am littler than Brian so remember me also please

1 Like

I take my hat off to anyone who can sing and play fingerstyle at the same time and impressive given your playing time James. Ironically after spending some quality time with my acoustics lately, I dusted down some PDFs of Justin’s basic folk fingerstyle patterns and had a little dabble earlier today. Your recording inspires me to get some where near your ability one day !
Thank you.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

James,
Good steady play and vox to my ears on this end! Liked the tone you got on your guitar too!

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Nice performance James. Never heard of that song before, but I really enjoyed it.
You played it really well and looked confident without having to keep your eyes on the fretting or picking at all.
If you had not mentioned that this was your 1st fingerstyle song, I don’t think that I (or most of us) would ever have guessed that :astonished: Well done

1 Like

Ahhhhh James that was superb. Really well played and sung.

Been doing some fingerstyle and trying to sing at the same time as well and it’s not easy, is it?

1 Like