Socio - November 2023 - Blues Studies

I’m currently just entered my third year of learning to play the guitar and gradually working my way through Beginner Grade 3.

Recordings for November 2023:

Number Title Post Link
1 November Blues Studies here
1 Like

Since I’ve signed up for the Blues With Justin Club I thought I would record the pieces that I’ve been working on recently to close them out. As always feedback and tips much appreciated.

November 2023 Blues Studies - frame

11 Likes

Hi James,
Great tones and steady play is found in these gems. Nice work mate!

Keep up the play and be well,
LB

1 Like

Nice work again James!

One small point - to my ears in the E boogie woogie you’re playing slightly ahead of the beat. Opposite issue to me - I tend to play a little bit too far behind the beat a lot!

2 Likes

@LBro
Hi LB, thanks for stopping by and checking out this blues progress recording. Glad you enjoyed the tones and playing. Keep well mate.

@twistor59
Hi Phil, thanks for checking out this blues progress recording. Your ears are most likely right. Thanks for the reminder to continue working on this aspect of my playing until I’m reliable and consistent. I have been working on the locking with the bass exercises in the external blues course that Justin was involved in and will continue to do so until I’m truly locked in as well as trying to become more relaxed when playing in front of the camera.

Hi James,

The ‘here’ I can’t click on it…well OF COURSE I can click on it people :face_with_raised_eyebrow:…but nothing happens :laughing:

Phil heard it well… but the other 2 sound good and the last one has very very nice tones :sunglasses:
Greretings

1 Like

Hey James, just wanted to give you some short feedback on your latest Blues Studies, as I didn’t comment on your other recently posted AVoYPs yet and I feel a bit “sad” about that. I’m far behind you and so my constructive feedback isn’t as detaild as you would deserve…
From my perspective very solid progress can be seen in your latest contribution! I agree with Phil concerning the timing aspect, something to have in mind, but I also noticed your progress on the Kindergarten Blues compared to your first posting back in May(?).
It’s always a great pleasure to listen and to see your steps ahead! Keep on with your good work and hopefully I will follow you on this long, long road…

1 Like

More steady blues progress James. Well done, keep it up.

1 Like

Yeah, some nice work there James. Coming along well, mate.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Nice update on your blues James.

I agree with Phil, some very noticeable timing issues in the first piece. The swing you’re playing is also different than the backing track swing. Do you hear them when listening back?

1 Like

Good job, James, keep up the practice and you’ll surely continue to make progress.

1 Like

Good solid progress James. Liked the 3rd one with that steady thumb kicking through. Keep up the good work. Be interesting to see what comes out of the Blues Club, signed up for 1 & 2 but will see how #1 go before fully committing to #2. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@roger_holland Thanks for checking out my latest progress recordings, Rogier, and taking the time to comment. Apologies for not updating the link on the first post to take you to the second post. Pleased to hear that you thought the two acoustic blues pieces sounded good as been trying to get the right tone when recording plugged in.

@Helen0609 Thanks for checking out my latest progress recordings, Andrea, and taking the time to provide constructive feedback. Absolutely no need to feel sad about not commenting on the other recent AVoYPs. Life can be busy and there is only so many hours in the day. Besides you’ve always commented on the AVoYPs that really matter to me :wink: Thank you for highlighting the progress made between the first fingerstyle blues piece and latest one that I posted that was very encouraging to read. I’m sure you’ll be joining me on this blues path very soon and look forward to following your progress along the way.

2 Likes

@sairfingers Thanks for checking out this latest progress video. I’m pleased to read that you saw progress being made. I’ve still got a lot to learn and improve when it comes to blues rhythm and fingerstyle but its an enjoyable learning experience. Hopefully, I can carry it forward as I dip my toes into learning blues lead.

@sclay thanks for checking out this latest progress recording, Shane, and for the kudos. I’ve been following your progress as you set off down the blues path and watching your recordings along the way has been very inspirational.

1 Like

@jkahn Thanks for checking out this latest progress recording, JK, and taking the time to give constructive feedback. I always look forward to my metronome friend down under to keep me focused on working on my timing and not letting it slip. I’m working hard on improving this aspect in my playing. So please please please keep on my case mate until I’m reliable and consistent with my timing.

@DavidP thanks for checking out this latest progress recording, David, I’m pleased to read you feel I’m making progress. Onwards and upwards my friend.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner thanks for checking out my latest progress recording Toby. I’m pleased to read you enjoyed the steady thumb blues piece, I’ve found your DH studies inspirational. Yes, it’s going to be an interesting first blues club event, it seems to have come just at the right time for me.

2 Likes

3 very nice pieces James. I’ll not repeat what others have said about your first piece as I’m sure you’ll be working on it but overall I thought they sounded great. Blues are coming along nicely.

1 Like

@SgtColon thanks for checking out the latest blues progress video. Yes, all good constructive feedback which is what I’m looking for to be honest and will be continuing to work on. First piece a lot more practice to do on timing but some progress made with getting the left and right hands coordinated, string skipping and not continuously looking at my fretting hand. Just got to keep practicing, analysing myself and listening to the feedback received from this great community to get better day by day.

1 Like

James don’t forget you can take that thumb away and have a shed load of licks and phrases for your Blues impros ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice work James!

1 Like