Socio - September 2022 - The Circle (OCS) plus Don't Look Back In Anger

Great job James you are in a roll lately and this was another cracking cover, really enjoyed it as I also really love that song! Superb overall!

1 Like

Way to go James, that was well done. The strums sounded crisp and I liked the picked notes at the start. I’m impressed that you’re able to flip up to those high notes, if I tried to go that far above my baseline it would be a strained creaky mess.

A very pleasant listening experience :+1:

1 Like

:fire: :fire: :fire:
Another AVOYP! Nice one James, you definitely didn’t murder that song, although you did absolute kill it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great one.

1 Like

Great Job James, really nice and consistent throughout.

1 Like

VERY nice work James. Such smooth, efficient chord changes.

1 Like

Hi James, a good performance. Nice smooth chord changes. A good job with a very well know song.

1 Like

Good guitar work James, steady and smooth.
I like the transposition of the chords to different shapes with the capo. I was going to give you much love and hugs and big kudos for such a neat trick … but then read down the comments and see that it may not have been your work. Ah well. Still, it works a treat taking those key of C chords and shifting them all along and around. Albeit you’re in the key of B with the capo at fret 4. Maybe Noel’s voice can’t hit the high notes now if that is the place he capos. Dare I suggest you try experimenting with the capo up / down a little? You seem unsure whether to sing in the higher or lower register in sections and maybe one fret difference would help you settle your voice in to one or other.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was a great way to consolidate James and you get to live another day :wink: Very nicely played and sung. Very smooth and I liked the picking of the individual strings at the beginning.

Like others have said, you could see your confidence growing as the song went on.

1 Like

Super stuff James. Those stuck chord were working a treat there. Note picks and a good steady strum pattern too. Well done.
I agree with @Richard_close2u about the capo position. A bit higher or lower would enable your vocal to sound more comfortable. But a really good version nonetheless.

What’s next in your consolidation repertoire?

1 Like

@Bytron08 Hey Byron, thanks for the listen and feedback mate. That means a lot coming from someone who consistently delivers nice covers :smiley:

@nzmetal Hi Jeff, thanks for the listen and feedback mate. I figured it is time that I done an Oasis since they were one of my favourite bands growing up.

@adi_mrok Glad you enjoyed that one Adrian. Thanks for the listen and feedback, its much appreciated mate. Long may that rock n roll continue.

@direvus Hi Brendan thanks for taking the time to listen and provide feedback. It’s much appreciated. The picked notes were fun to work out and add to the song.

@jkahn Hey JK, well you did say you were hoping to see something new on the AVoYP front in my learning log. So didn’t want to disappoint you mate. Thanks for taking the time to listen and provide feedback. Your comment put a smile on my face :smiley:

@philsmith Hi Phil, thanks for taking the time to listen and provide feedback. It means a lot mate and I’m glad you enjoyed.

@batwoman Hey Maggie, thanks for the listen and feedback. I’m glad those chord changes came across smooth as one of those chords was a real pain and took lot’s of finger stretching practice to get it manageable.

@Richard_close2u Hey Richard thanks for the taking the time to listen and provide feedback. Damn I shouldn’t have let it slip about Noel using a capo and those chord shapes. I think you are right about Noel’s voice. Even with Wonderwall he now plays it with the Capo on the 3rd fret instead of the 2nd fret. Experimenting with a capo is something that I will certainly be doing. I’m still a bit unsure about my singing, though, I’ve started working my way through the Discover Your Voice course. Hopefully, everything will start to come together. One thing that I did learn from this song was with practice and perseverance you can achieve those stretchy chords that you think there is no way I can fret that chord. That Cmadd9 was a real stretch with the 3rd and 4th finger stuck down. Justin’s finger stretching exercise really helped nail that chord.

@sairfingers Hey Gordon, thanks for the listen and feedback mate, it’s much appreciated. Yes, experimenting with the Capo is something that I’m going to explore as I discover my voice. Whats next on the consolidation repertoire? I’ve been working on ‘Why Does It Always Rain On Me’, ‘Writing to Reach You’, ‘Sweet Home Chicago’, ‘No Woman No Cry’ and ‘Wonderful Tonight’. I’ve also been working on Justin’s blues lead bonus song. Justin provides the backing tracks on the CD along with two tracks of him playing it. One he plays slowly over a 12 bar blues riff and the other at a higher tempo over a professional backing track. I’ve more or less there with both tempos, though, Justin doesn’t seem to leave a lot of space in them but I have learned them as a set piece as he plays them just to get the technique and feel for the rhythm down.

4 Likes

@SgtColon Thank you for taking the time to listen and provide feedback Stefan. It’s much appreciated mate. Hopefully, the more I practice and put myself out there the more confident I will become and not take as long to forget about that camera focusing on me.

@Willsie01 Thank you for listen and feedback John. It gives me a bit more confidence to have a go at some more well known songs as I progress through the beginners course.

That comment really made me think there and I just had a look at a Fratellis song that I’ve been wanting to learn and applying a capo on the 3rd fret gives me the chords that I would be comfortable playing at this stage. So @Richard_close2u you have just added another song to my list of songs to learn.

1 Like

Hi James,
Liked it… :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:
Your change of chords goes very smoothly, as many have noted, … that is a great / important good thing,…and that is also very pleasant for the viewer :sunglasses:
Greetings,…

1 Like

@roger_holland

Hi Rogier, thank you for listening and providing feedback mate. I’m happy that you enjoyed it. It took a little bit of time to get the changes to the Cmadd9 chord smooth, it’s such a stretchy little chord.

It’s really enjoyable, though I feel I can’t give technical feedback I I would say your rhythm and strumming are smooth and nice. I also liked the individual notes picking and overall it sounded good, well done! :blush:

1 Like

That was a great listen. Sounded really good!

Oasis is one of my favorites, so I had to read this post and click that link. I am not versed enough to say how good your technique is, but it sounded good to me.

In closing… no, you did not murder this song at all. :smile:

1 Like

@SILVIA Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment Silvia. The feedback you provided means a lot. The note picking linking the chords is a lot of fun.

@Guitar_n00b1 Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment Derek. That means a lot to me especially coming from another Oasis fan.

Awesome James, a nice confident performance :+1:

Your voice is certainly capable, I would agree with Richard about picking one register or another (high or low octave) but this is (meant to be) positive feedback not a dig, I can’t reach the high stuff at all but love playing Oasis too. Great strumming and nice note picking for the intro, well done.

1 Like

@liaty

Thanks for taking the time to listen and provide feedback Dave. It really does help with the development. Yeah, I find the vocal to be challenging as still not really sure of my voice. I’ve just started Chris Liepe’s course so hopefully that should help me get my bearings on what key suits me best etc and learn how to use and control my voice properly. I think I did better vocally on the OCS cover I did last week.

1 Like

Nice! Personally, not familiar with the song. Your rendition inspires me to give it a try. As I am a beginner, I noted how well you kept the tempo consistent, spot on. Liked your strumming pattern too. You are on to something very good. Thanks for posting.

1 Like