Socio's Learning Log

I was contemplating posting the following recording to my AVoYP thread but I don’t think it’s quite AVoYP worthy.

1 Like

Edit. Thanks to a bit of confidence boost from Toby I’ve took the leap and published to the wider community.

1 Like

Definitely AVOYP ready James. You made it your own with a twist on the vibe of the original Zimmerman version, sounded good. Nice tone on both Gtr and vox, well done. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner thanks Toby that was the bit of confidence boost I needed to publish it as wasn’t too sure about it.

1 Like

James
Congratulations on the two year anniversary and thanks for your interesting learning log
I just finished my one year anniversary and made the mistake of rushing through grades 1 and 2 because I had years of experience strumming open chords. I’ve used some of your learning log to rediscover what I missed. I’ve also been challenged by your blues studies since that is one of my guitar interests. I look forward to see the paths you take this year

2023 Review

I feel that I have made slow and steady progress this year. Slow progress is still progress and a little progress each day adds up to big results. I was very pleased with the level of performance I achieved in my cover of Why Does It Always Rain on Me.

If it wasn’t for all the detours that I have taken along the way I’m sure that I would have completed the beginners grade 3 course and would be working my way through the intermediate grades. Though, I have learned a lot from those detours.

I spent a significant amount of time working my way through a beginners fingerstyle course which I enjoyed very much and feel that I have developed some solid foundations to build upon. Fingerstyle was not something that I had contemplated learning but Justin’s introduction to fingerstyle lesson in Grade 2 encouraged me to delve deeper.

Similarly, playing the blues never crossed my mind and I’ve found myself spending a good chunk of time exploring the blues further following Justin’s Grade 2 lessons in blues guitar. Over the year I’ve worked on blues rhythm guitar, solo acoustic blues and fingerstyle blues. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Justin’s blues club and seriously considering enrolling in his new blues course next year.

I’ve seen frequent posts in the forum saying “I’m not into playing … can I skip this lesson”. My answer to that would be “have an open mind and give it a shot as you might actually enjoy it and you’ll definitely learn a lot from it”. I have certainly learned a lot from the variety of styles taught.

This year has been slightly different from the previous year. This year I’ve met the musician in me and started to develop my musicianship. I find myself these days picking up the guitar and playing chord progressions exploring the sound of the notes, embellishments and dynamics.

I’ve enjoyed spending time getting creative and writing songs. Sharing my first three originals (Living your Life in your Head, Shadows of our Former Selves and Hold On) with the community was the definitely the highlight of 2023 for me.

Always good to end the year with some new gear:

New Picks

Microphone

Headphones

2024 Plan

Below is the learning plan for 2024:

This year I will aim to share more recordings of songs or arrangements learned that apply the above in a musical context with the community. The intention of the recordings will be to show progress rather than perfection.

I also plan to start working on developing studio versions of my originals. I’ve had time to process the feedback received, listen to them again with fresh ears and make improvements.

Wish you all the best for 2024.

4 Likes

They are some interesting looking picks James !

Quite frankly I think you have made some really good progress this year and I would not say slow. You may not be ripping through the grades, IMHO a good thing but you been outstanding on your Blues journey, often providing me with inspiration. Plus some great covers and originals, I’d say a very productive year sir.

Also nice to see the new year plans clearly laid out. You’ll enjoy Dust In The Wind, I pretty much have it down but stumble around the bridge section but its a great fingerstyle exercise and pattern. Looking forward to hearing some of the others on that list.

Keep having fun and keep moving forwards. And don’t worry too much about the detours, as long as they are not taking you backwards.

Happy New Year and have a great 2024. :+1:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

James @Socio

The end of the year is always a good time to reflect on progress and plan the way ahead.

We seem to be around about the same position in the journey and a bit like me have spent time on specific areas like Blues and Fingerpicking. I am just getting into the later, makes a nice change from strumming. I will watch your progress with interest.

You seem pleased with your progress which is all that matters, well done and all the best for 2024.

Michael

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with taking detours James, if it suits you to do so.
They say “if you don’t change direction, you’ll end up where you’re going”.
With guitar we don’t always know where we’re going from the outset. Grade2 learns us things we didn’t know were there to be learned and can influence where we go next.

Another good year and you’re setting yourself up very well for whatever you want to do.
Best of luck in 2024 :guitar:

1 Like

Great stuff James, very interesting learning log.
That is a very exotic looking selection box of picks.
Good luck with your goals for 2024. Impressive learning plan.
Best wishes, Alan

1 Like

Congrats on another excellent year, James. I think slow and steady is the way to go and you’ve made progress steadily through the year on everything that you gave attention. Your recordings are always a treat.

I also compliment you on the support and encouragement you offer to fellow Community Members consistently.

Looking at the new gear, I can’t recall what microphones you already have. With that in mind, I’m curious about the choice of the SM57, it being a dynamic instrument mic.

I look forward to being along for the ride in '24.

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thanks for the encouraging words, Toby. I’m quite enjoying trying out the variety of the Rombo picks. I guess the ultimate test will be how good the sound comes across in future recordings. I’ve pretty much got the intro and verse down for Dust In The Wind. I haven’t learned the bridge section yet. Interestingly, I tried a thumb pick a year ago and never could get on with it and then last week I decided to put it on and to my surprise I was able to play smoothly with it. It’s now got me thinking should I play fingerstyle blues with or without a thumb pick? I’ve been having second thoughts now on Justin’s new blues course after reading his latest email saying that its aimed at intermediate players. So maybe best for me to give this one a miss and hopefully he will run it again at a later date when my playing is more up to that level and I can make the most out of it. All the best for 2024.

@MAT1953 Thanks Michael. Yes, sounds like we are on a similar path on our guitar adventure spending time exploring the blues and fingerstyle, it’s a rewarding path to take. I’m sure you will have lots of fun with fingerstyle. All the best for 2024.

@BurnsRhythm Thanks David. I’m sure I’ll stumble down a few more detours along the way this year, though, I’ve got a better sense of direction now. This year is going to be more focused on what I need to learn to get to where I want to be. All the best for 2024.

@Alan_1970 Thanks, Alan. I’m quite enjoying trying out the variety of the Rombo picks, though, still to make my mind up on my favorite ones. We shall see how well they last and hopefully they don’t get lost in the sock drawer. All the best for 2024.

@DavidP Thanks for the encouraging words, David. I’m pleased to hear that you’ve enjoyed my recordings. Hopefully, my next original is not going to change your mind :laughing: It’s been driving me crazy for weeks now, I need to get it out of my head and into someone elses :crazy_face: Providing support and encouragement to other is very rewarding and hopefully this year I’m better placed to give more meaningful advice. The only microphone that I had was the condenser mic that came with the audio interface. The SM57 felt a but more versatile for recording the amplifier, acoustic guitar or vocals without capturing all the background noise (I have two dogs running around the house). All the best for 2024.

4 Likes

I figured you had a condensor already, James, and makes sense to add a dynamic. As a rule I usually figure the dynamic as a partner to the condensor to be primarily a vocal mic hence asking about choice of an instrument mic.

That all said, for us hobbyists I suspect it is not likely to make a whole lot of difference. You can record vocals fine with the SM57, you should just back away a bit to limit proximity effect and plosives (based on a quick comparison google).

And with your condensor you could do a good job recording the guitar amp. I doubt you’ll be playing the amp at levels where the SM57 ability to handle high sound pressure levels would be necessary. I expect an SM58 vocal mic would do just as well recording the amp.

As far as recording the amp goes, I think it is probably a better bet to record direct into the DAW and use sims (pedals, amps, cabinets) to add guitar tone afterwards. That gives one flexibility to tweak the tone and fx after the fact. I know pros can dial in a tone up front, but at our level I think the flexibility of using plug-ins is a winner.

I suggest you drop Justin or Laryne an email to ask about the Blues course. I had the same feeling as you expressed above when I thought about the workshops (academic of course as I need to win the lottery mega jackpot to afford it) but it sounded like it was easy to be intimidated. You’ve reached a reasonable level and may be more ready than you think.

1 Like

Great update James, this is a thoughtful and accurate recap of your learning. What I found really great to read is

It kind of happened the same to me, in different ways of course, and I know it’s a great feeling!

That’s what I think too, and I think I once heard Justin say that slow learners will prove better! Or maybe that’s what my ears wanted to hear as I’m a very slow learner myself!

I could make a LL update by echoing this and most of the things you wrote. I look foward for more of music sharing in 2024!

1 Like

Excellent update and an excellent look forward James. I’m looking forward to enjoying 2024 with you.

1 Like

Nice update @Socio and a very nicely structured plan for 2024.

1 Like

@SILVIA @sairfingers @Rossco01

Happy New Year to you. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my LL update. It’s good to have a structured plan in place again, now I just need to follow through on it. Looking forward to following your musical journey through 2024.

1 Like

I’ve been dabbling in mixing some guitar, bass, drums and vocals for the first time. Now all I need is to find myself a guinea pig to listen to a short mix to know if I’m on the right path when it comes to mixing and mastering.

Well I’m not getting on the community much ATM but when I saw your thread had an update I had to read it. You’re made some good progress. I completely agree with what you said about trying everything. How will you know what you like if you don’t try it?

Sounds like you’ve got big plans for 2024. Keep on keeping on!

1 Like

Great update again, James! :grinning::+1: Can’t wait to see what you achieve this year! :metal::sunglasses:

1 Like